• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Terminator Salvation: The Essential Edition

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've submitted my latest fanedit: Terminator Salvation: The Essential Edition. It should be available shortly if it's not already. Here is the skinny:

Original Film Name: Terminator Salvation
New Film Name: Terminator Salvation: The Essential Edition
Film Studio Name: Warner Bros. Pictures
Film Release Date: 2009
Original Runtime: 117 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: June 2010
New Runtime: 102 minutes
Amount of time cut/added: 15 minutes

Intention:
When Terminator Salvation was announced I was nervous. The main reason for this nervousness was McG. I didn't think he was a competent enough of a director to pull it off. Then the third preview was released. Even though gave away a major plot point it still looked like it might be a good film, and my hope was boosted.

After I saw Terminator Salvation I was disappointed. They added so much crap to try and fool the audience into believing it was a smart film it completely bogged it down. The entire opening with Marcus in prison completely ruined his reveal later in the film. Skynet capturing and bringing Reese to their main base to bring Connor to them was stupid. (Why didn't Skynet just kill Reese?). The setup of Marcus having a heart so he could give it to Connor at the end was dumb. (I don't buy for a minute they could do open heart surgery in the middle of the desert decades after a nuclear war.)

I figured removing many of these elements might improve the film. Thus, Terminator Salvation: The Essential Edition was made. Now the film is more about the actual war.

Cuts:
- cut the opening credits
- cut opening scene in the prison
- cut the POV of the missile before the strike
- cut an early encounter between John Connor and a terminator popping out of the water
- replaced Sarah Connor's cassette audio with her recording from the first Terminator film
- cut scene with Marcus and Blair in the rain
- cut the machines identifying Kyle Reese
- cut much of Marcus having a heart
- cut final scene in desert
- change end credit music
- cut a lot of bits of dialog and shots throughout

Technical Details

Release Details:
AVCHD: DVD-9, 720p @ 8000 Kbps, 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, True Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Bonus Features: Text Commentary Track, the original 3 theatrical trailers

DVD: DVD-5, 480p @ 3500 Kbps, 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, NTSC, True Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Bonus Features: Text Commentary Track, the original 3 theatrical trailers

Editing Details:
Edited on a Core i7 2.66GHz system with 6GB RAM using the HD source from the Blu-Ray disc

Software Used:
AnyDVD HD, Ripbot264, tsMuxeR, Audacity, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Soundbooth CS5, Adobe Encore CS5, multiAVCHD (for AVCHD version)

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds interesting. A friend of mine dragged me to see this and though it was entertaining it was far from being a really good film. Hopefuly you will have now fixed that for me :)

ZX22

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Downloading the AVCHD now. I've been waiting another TS edit since Spence's had an issue with the sound getting off sync. I'll give some feedback when I finish it. Now back to my own firstling fanedit.

stamper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Part 16 is missing, and of course since it dlc, there's no way for us to get it separately... if you could post a true link I would be pleased because I already downloaded all the rest.

PS I hate dlc for such things make it difficult if you made a mistake in your file list or forgot one link.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stamper said:
PS I hate dlc for such things make it difficult if you made a mistake in your file list or forgot one link.

http://www.fanedit.info/jdown.html said:
For the uploaders it offers a good link protection.

ZX22

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Part 16 and 47 are missing, and 68 and 69 are in there twice.

Man, why does something always go wrong with T4 edits?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ZX22 said:
Man, why does something always go wrong with T4 edits?[/size]

Because the movie's fine as it is and doesn't need any fanediting. :smile:

Seriously though, ZX22 is correct. Those links are not present in the DLC.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll double check the DLC when I get home. I'll also post the direct links to the RS files so you don't need to download everything again. Sorry about the problem. I'll get it fixed as soon as I can.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm taking the files off line and re-uploading them to RS. For some reason RapidUploader has everything named right, yet when I take the links into JDownloader there are few messed up files. I'm not sure why or how that happened. As soon as everything is uploaded I will post direct links as well so those that have already downloaded files will only need to download the corrected/missing files. No need to re-download everything.

I'm very sorry for this problem. Everything should be ready by tomorrow.

ZX22

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I went ahead and downloaded the DVD. I've watched about 20 min of it so far (got distracted), and while it works better than the theatrical cut, I absolutely hate the "signal" plot of the movie, and I am quite disappointed that you did not cut it like Spence did in his edit. In my opinion, the removal of the "signal" plot really helps the movie.

From what I watched, this is my far from final review:

Video (DVD): 8 - Really impressed how a 2.7GB dvd could look so good, must be the HD source.
Sound: 10 - Full surround sound, what more could be asked for?
Editing: 9 - Pretty much everything I saw was seamless, but there was one audio transition that didn't seem right.
Presentation: 9 - Custom DVD menus, text commentary, trailers, custom Q2 fanedit logo, perfect integration of "essential edition" subtitle into movie. There was a problem, however, when I popped the DVD into my Blu-Ray player: I had to press the skip button at the beginning where the DVD informs of its fanedit status.
Entertainment: 7.5 (original: 7 and Spence's: 9) - Really annoys me that Sky-net knows about Kyle, also disappointed about the "signal" subplot still being in there.
Overall: 8

Of course, this is my personal opinion.

As it stands, Terminator Salvation: The Essential Edition is the best approved T4 edit (and I think the only), and should definetely be checked out by fans of the Terminator series (I think that is everyone, right?) who were dissapointed by T4 (I think that is also everyone).

Good job!

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How could you get the DVD version? The RS links are showing as 100% offline.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jamiemark said:
Thunderclap is taking them offline, so they could be replaced by new ones.
Or maybe I missed something?

(If the new files are online I suppose you have to download the new .dlc to get the new links)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ZX22 said:
Really annoys me that Sky-net knows about Kyle, also disappointed about the "signal" subplot still being in there.

I think there was only one reference to Skynet knowing who Kyle was, and that was in the sub when one of the commanders mentions it to Connor. Everything else has been removed unless I missed something.

Appreciate the input ZX22!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I re-submitted the DLC so once it's confirmed it's been replaced go ahead and download the DLC again. Open that in JDownloader and download only the files you need.

If you want feel free to PM me the files you need and I'll give you the direct link on RS.

ZX22

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jamiemark said:

I actually grabbed the DVD version before he pulled it, there were no problems with it.

thunderclap said:
I think there was only one reference to Skynet knowing who Kyle was, and that was in the sub when one of the commanders mentions it to Connor. Everything else has been removed unless I missed something.

Well, like I said, haven't watched the whole thing yet. But I'll try to finish it soon.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The corrected DLC files have been posted.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More bad news...the SL dlc file gives you the links to the DL files.

The DL dlc looks correct.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
More bad news...the SL dlc file gives you the links to the DL files.

The DL dlc looks correct.

*sigh*

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, some of the greatest fanedits start out with technical problems. Think The V'Ger Incident.

If someone could provide a link to an explanation of how to play AVCHD files on a computer, I'll be downloading this now. I'm in the mood for some Terminator.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
AVCHD is kinda like a bluray on DVD. just load it up the biggest media file in vlc, mplayer, media player classic, etc.

the klite codec pack is an easy way to install all of the codecs

Top Bottom