• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Terminator Salvation - T-HOPE Edition

Rate this fanedit

• 9 stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 stars

• 10 stars (very good)

• 7 stars

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 6 stars

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 stars

• 0 stars (very bad)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
hey T-Hope, since I really enjoyed your edit I wanted to ask if you are planning to release a version 2 of this, since there some transitions that could profit from smoothing out

if that's the case just let me know so I'll rewatch the edit to spot all those cuts
Right now, I got really demotivated by all of this. I don't know... just don't know.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's understandable getting deflated.

But in reality, I think it's just bad encoding software.

You put 7500 Kpbs for video bitrate but it got encoded at 4000.
To fill the DVD, it should be more like 5000 Kbps.

For example, for the first vob file, media info reports:
Bit rate : 3 994 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 7 500 Kbps
So I'd say it's worth another shot.
And maybe bump the audio from 384 to 448 kbps with perhaps a "normalize" setting.
There's room for it and couldnt hurt.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
T-HOPE said:
Right now, I got really demotivated by all of this. I don't know... just don't know.

I can certainly sympathize with you here T-Hope. I really wanted to throw my hands up in the air over my last edit. Take a week off, ignore it and then come back to it. The good news is people seem to like the edit (I haven't had a chance yet) and are hopeful of a V2, so that means it's a project worth working on.

Refresh and come back to it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Which encoder did you use, T-Hope? The nominal bitrate is the maximum bitrate, so you must have input 7500 for that rather than the average bitate. Thanks, zeppelinrox: I should have checked that myself before I posted, but I have been busy working with other files.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
Omaru1982 said:
[Kate] because it was already hard enough to buy the concept she was a vet, who could fly [strikeout:29uku63p]choppers[/strikeout:29uku63p] planes and use automatic rifles[...]
Why is it difficult to believe that a person can do three different things?

...And now that I have defended T3, I must walk away in shame. :(

Well maybe not the flight lessonss, her daddy is military after all, but surely he would have if he took her to shooting ranges and such have only taught her how to use a firearm?

The real issue is 'how does one go from being a vet to knowing how to perform heart transplant surgery?' That makes me think of the cringe worthy moment in Prison break when Bagwell held a vet hostage and made him perform surgery on him.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not only the video stuff that bothers me, it's also the comments about the audio. Some people really do seem to have problems with it, some people don't have problems with it.

And for both problems, I don't have the answers. I don't understand where it went wrong and what exactly went wrong.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
T-HOPE said:
And for both problems, I don't have the answers. .
I am pretty certain that the video can be sorted easily, and a number of people seem to have had problems with 5.1 in Vegas, so I would not feel too bad.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
T-HOPE said:
It's not only the video stuff that bothers me, it's also the comments about the audio. Some people really do seem to have problems with it, some people don't have problems with it.

And for both problems, I don't have the answers. I don't understand where it went wrong and what exactly went wrong.
Well, just for shiggles (shitz n giggles, baby, yeah!), I demuxed the audio with MeGUI and just normalized the audio and it plays back much louder than the original (slightly louder than the menu).

For those that don't have a problem with it, their hardward or software probably has a normalize setting activated.
I found the normalize setting in MPC and it does play back much louder when I activated that feature.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
zeppelinrox said:
I found the normalize setting in MPC and it does play back much louder when I activated that feature.

I'll try this as well. I forgot to add that I watch all FanEdits in a HTPC, not in a standalone player.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zeppelinrox said:
Well, just for shiggles (shitz n giggles, baby, yeah!), I demuxed the audio with MeGUI and just normalized the audio and it plays back much louder than the original (slightly louder than the menu).
Now I'm going crazy. I never lowered the volume while editing.

zeppelinrox said:
For those that don't have a problem with it, their hardward or software probably has a normalize setting activated.
Thanks for this help.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found something else out about the audio.

I began watching last night and decided to switch the xbmc setting from digital audio to analog.
It played back MUCH louder in analog while it was very low in digital.

I tested it with another movie and the volume didn"t change when I switched between analog and digital.

It's very odd indeed.

Edit: Well I seem to have found a pattern. I tested varios fanedits with 5.1 audio as well as stereo at different bitrates with MPC and VLC and it seems that the lower the bitrate, the more drastic a difference there is in the audio's playback volume. At 224 and 384 kbps, MPC plays back noticeably lower than VLC would. At 448 kbps, there was barely and difference at all.

So I think that the audio level issue can be fixed siimply by encoding it at 448 kbps and 48 KHz

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Due to the inconsistency of messages about errors (one says the audio is good, another says the audio is a bitch, another one says the videoquality is a bitch while another doesn't complain about this), plus the lack of motivation because of all of this, I have decided not to revisit the fanedit. I don't know if I will ever change my mind about this, but for now, I will not re-edit it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This one has been on my CURIOUSITY LIST for a while now...

I really enjoy the whole TERMINATOR Franchise. I absolutely LOVE the now cancelled TV series (shame on you FOX). I actually enjoyed ALL of the previous movies. The first two are brillant. T3, while a bit too heavy on the humor, greatly entertained me in a otherwise dismal summer of blockbuster blunders. And I even like T4. Yes, even as a casual fan I noticed the continuity issues, but as a WAR MOVIE, I think it worked pretty well.

So when I read T-Hope's thread and intention for this movie, I was very excited.
And now after watching, I am pleased to say I was not disappointed.

From a narrative restructuring point of view, this edit is exellent, even BRILLIANT at moments.
All cuts and reorganizing of scenes completely work and improve the overall story.
The new opening was very clever and I was impressed.
The editing of Marcus into a supporting character works well.
The handling of Kyle also works and makes more sense now.
So, again from the storyline perspective, exceptionally well done.:wink:

On the technical side, there a few minor issues, all which have been brought up by previous reviewers.
I too found the audio a bit quiet, but nothing distracting or significant. I just turned up the volume and
ate my popcorn!:popcorn:

A few cuts are very hard and noticebale. Also, many of transitions could use another pass to smooth them out.

But despite this, I still found this movie very enjoyable.
I would give this edit a solid 7/10.:)

Thanks for the fun T-Hope!!!:clap2:

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks bionicbob for your nice review!!

Top Bottom