• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Tea (and now, Coffee!)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tenor.gif

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A somewhat tea related movie review... (FYI I'm drinking Earl Grey as I type :D )

When Marnie Was There (2014)
Until whenever 'How Do You Live?' is completed, this is Studio Ghibli's most recent film (not including the new CGI heresy 'Earwig and the Witch') and it's one of the very best.  It's was directed and co-written by 'Arrietty's Hiromasa Yonebayashi.  12-year old Anna is a foster child who goes to live with her carer's relatives in the country to get some fresh air after a bad asthma attack.  Anna repeatedly says "I hate myself" under hear breath. Apart from the obvious emotional baggage Anna has, it's not revealed what the specific cause of her low self-esteem is until much later in the film.  She wonders upon a dilapidated house and meets a girl called Marnie, who may or may not be a ghost, or imaginary friend.  It's mostly about coming of age and coming to terms with one's past.  There were some elements (but by no means all) of Anna's character that I could identify with.  There seemed to be an extra level of fluidity to the animation in this one and the background scenery is as beautiful as always.  I was welling up in the very final scene when a word I was hoping to hear finally gets spoken between two characters.  The moment is delivered and directed in a subtle and casual way but the depth of meaning is fully conveyed.  I look forward to seeing this again with the foreknowledge of the big revelation.

I was quite curious about a little detail in the film when Sayaka serves Anna "Queen Mary" tea.  I'd never heard of this one before. Apparently it was produced by Twinings from 1916 to 2007 and was a blend of Indian Darjeeling and Chinese Keemun.  I wonder if it's still available in Japan, or if it's a detail from the 1967 book that was carried over to the movie, without realising it was an anachronism by 2014.  I want to try it now but sealed tins are going for about £50/$70 on eBay.  I could blend some I suppose.  Probably by coincidence the labels on the tins were pretty similar to the trademark Ghibli sky colour.

Vintage-Queen-Mary-Twinings-Tea-Caddy-Storage-Tin.jpg

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One time, I was making coffee, and there was no cream. We did however have some cream soda, so I added that as a substitute. It was disgusting. Just happened to think of that again after sipping some cream soda, can't remember if I told the story here before.

On another note since this thread is primarily for tea, I rarely drink tea (unless Brisk and Arizona count), but the best tea I ever had was this black licorice flavored stuff that my therapist had. I was the only one there who ever drank it, I was told. I didn't even add anything to it, I don't think. Of course licorice when not in tea is kinda gross.

My grandmother has hated tea for as long as I remember. I was shocked when I saw her making some at work the other day, apparently she's come around on it. I just find that interesting.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gunpowder for certain. The little handrolled balls are sublime...and that flavor...but if I want just ordinary tea then I really like Constant Comment (my grandmother's fault), Earl Grey (made by this funny looking little lady with a wooden leg-my ex partner's fault [now there's a tea lover]) and finally, Lipton's Premium Black ( mainly for our staple sweet tea cold).

Last edited:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One time, I was making coffee, and there was no cream. We did however have some cream soda, so I added that as a substitute. It was disgusting.

You almost made something really delicious. Combine 50/50 milk and cream soda (milk 1st, to avoid curdling) over ice. I think it's a Hong Kong thing.

One of my new favourite drinks is a "Dirty Chai", or "Cowboy Chai" which I had at a lovely Vegan cafe. It's spiced chai tea with espresso. A sort of sweet spiced flat white.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You almost made something really delicious. Combine 50/50 milk and cream soda (milk 1st, to avoid curdling) over ice. I think it's a Hong Kong thing.
Definitely gonna have to look into that. Soda and milk sounds bad on paper, but really, if soda and ice cream go fine together then I can't imagine this being bad.

Top Bottom