• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

TDKR - "The Consequences Edit" New 2021 Update

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New edit uploaded today. If you downloaded yesterday, there was an audio issue during Talia's speech that occurred, not sure why. It has been fixed, along with frame issues. Please re-download.

Gazza, this is great! I was already working on one but I will take notes from yours!

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was thinking something along this line...
JbMvkhu.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched part of your updated edit and felt there were still a lot of abrupt audio cuts. The scene where Batman saves Blake still sounds wound up/fast forwarded as does the video. Perhaps crossfading can help?

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, still audio cut issues? Crossfading used of course. I might not be good enough to pull this off if it still sounds bad.

Hmmm, the Blake Rescue - that IS sped up there for the fighting, as noted in the edit list. 

If its sound alone that is too jarring there, then I can edit the audio separately to get a cleaner transition.

But if the actual fighting is too jarring sped up even a little, then the approach may be the problem.  Is it an issue for the Bane fight later as well where I sped up fighting? If not, then I could leave the Blake rescue at normal speed without an issue...

My output on the new version with the Selina Apt cut smoothed out is having issues, I will update when that is fixed, but would love your input on that Blake issue.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There we go. Clean file now ready to be downloaded. 11.5g is the size of the file you want.

Dig, this version has the Blake Rescue at normal speed.  As for the other audio cuts, I think my amateur status is showing. Not sure how to fix the rest. There is 140+ audio transitions with closely curated crossfades, I might need more specifics.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I somehow missed that this one was submitted a while back, so I've moved it to Pending Approval.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Editor has decided to submit another firstling edit. Thread moved back to ITW.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am please with the final edit, but it still needs a little work to be approved. 

Lets move this thread to Workprints for now, I need a break for a while on this edit.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Workprints are for completed but unapproved edits. If you plan to work on it again I will place it in inactive in the works. Please let me now if this is your desire.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, its more of a workprint, right? It wasn't approved and I am not sure I will work on it again. Either way is fine!

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Clarification - Workprints/Previews aren't just for completed edits, it's for either completed or in progress with no intent to submit to the site.

Since you don't know if you'll work on this again, I'll move it to inactive for now.  Contact one of us in the future if you want to pick it back up.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moving this thread back to Workprint as I have a new edit, 6-2020. May resubmit when my other In-The-Works edits are approved.

The cut list has changed to reflect the updates!

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2021 is here and old incomplete edits need a review. At first, I felt this was one of my edits destined for the bin. Looking back on my TDKR edit again, I forgot how many problems are in this movie. Slow fights, silly motivations, and exposition galore. I never thought this was improved enough to warrant a release.

Until now. Possibly. If this works.

Reading a review recently about how "Bruce healing twice" is bad storytelling, I got inspired to experiment a little more, removing the "old" aspect of Bruce so he only has to heal from his fight with Bane. Playing around with this let me down a new rabbit hole. Big changes abound, but the main ones are the removal of all scenes with "old Bruce" and the discussions about him being a recluse. He may not be Batman anymore, but he's not decrepit. 

One big effect of this is that we lose Bruce and Selina's first meeting, and so we must turn the ballroom dance scene into their first face to face. This is also the first time the audience actually sees Bruce as well.

We also lose Blake telling Bruce how he knows him. Now he shows up to the mansion, and Alfred looks annoyed. Blake and Bruce's relationship is implied but mysterious (I hope.) Bruce just is friends with an up an coming cop on the force, perhaps trying to lighten the load from Gordon after the stuff with his kid. Gordon effectively is traumatized. My original edit was called "Long Live the Batman" but this newer version doesn't suit the title anymore. Blake doesn't become another Batman. (Batman beyond maybe?)

This also means we lose Alfred and Bruce's first discussion in the cave. Alfred is EXTREMELY sidelined in this edit, showing up only to be annoyed that Blake is encouraging Bruce to be batman again, to get the drive to Fox and resign from Bruce, and to mourn at Bruce's grave and for the will.

Since we lose Alfred warning Bruce about Bane, this is where the REAL rabbit hole began- making Bane more of a menacing mystery. ("Show Don't Tell" mantra in full effect!) I leaned into things like showing Bane enter and exit the stock exchange, but not waiting inside. I removed Bane explicitly mentioning "the League of shadows" in his sewer fight with Bruce. We don't find out about the pit until Bruce is taken there. And little things, like he doesn't grasp at his mask as Bruce breaks it - he keeps fighting like a badass, but its just enough for Bruce to start getting the advantage again.

Here are some clips of new major changes:

New opening sequence: 
"Show Don't Tell" tightening, and now the CIA guy actually kills the first guy out the window. No blood transfusion, and Bane says less to the sacrificial guy.
New Ballroom Dance Sequence:
Now the first face to face meeting between Bruce and Kyle, after she robbed his place. No mention of a coming populous movement. 
New Bane Sewer Fight:
Now no explicit mention of the League of Shadows, new tension-building score added.
New Bane Stadium Speech:
Now less populous focus, more terror-based
New Cops meet Bane's Men Scene:
Now the Cops stand hesitantly, until Foley silently leads the way. 
Other fixes from my original edit include:
  • Format is full HD all the time, no IMAX format changes.
  • Remove Gordon's opening speech - A lot is explained well enough already, this being one as the mayor says it all soon after
  • Plane takeover is faster.
  • No blood transfusion.
  • Alfred's dream vacation story is scrubbed.
  • All mentions of autopilot are scrubbed.
  • Bane's attack on the stock exchange seems more methodical.
  • Exterior Stock Exchange shots color-corrected to seem like sunset, to better fit with the nighttime chase scene.
  • The history eraser program is minimized to a 'gangland myth' and not a motivation for Selina after Batman saves her from the thugs.
  • Removed Selina looking back at Bane while being shot at on the rooftop.
  • In Selina's apartment, the history eraser program subject is again removed.
  • Bruce is not locked out of his house so he doesn't need to sleep with Talia out of nowhere.
  • Background tension builder added to Bane/Batman sewer fight.
  • Bane does not say he was born in the darkness, but he still says he was a man when he first saw the light.
  • Beginning with the prison breakout, Countdown to Core Meltdown Captions spread out the timing of Bruce's recovery beginning at 150 days, with some scenes re-ordered to accommodate.
  • Any verbal mention of time outside of a more evenly paced decent into chaos are removed.
  • Timecodes added to Bruce's scenes in the pit.
  • Once Batman hits Bane's facemask and breaks it, Bane doesn't try to fix it during the fight.
  • Removed Batman saying "where's the trigger" repeatedly.
  • The Batwing chase scene is tightened up, Shots of solders inside the tanks are removed
  • Talia doesn't actually do the full death scene, she talks and is done.
  • Gordon doesn't discuss who Batman is.
  • Bruce dies. 
  • No vacation scenes with Alfred, Bruce and Selina.
  • Blake gets the bag without being called Robin.
  • Gordon doesn't return to work. No new Batsignal. Blake will become SOMETHING, but not Batman. (Unless he spends years training to be better than having to shoot the two goons at the cement place) He's got potential. And he seems to have already known Bruce 
Feedback welcome! Preview available, iand please chime in if anyone has a wishlist for changes to this movie! I thought it was beyond hope simply due to how great TDK is. I'm actually approaching this review with new perspective, and am very optimistic.

If any admins see this, can we move this thread back to ITW?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moved to ITW per request.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New Ending:
  • Removed reference to Blake name not being real, removed Robin reference. Blake is something new. (He used his handgun to kill two guys and carried a shotgun to save Gordon. He ain't no Batman.)
  • Removed Gordon trying to recruit Blake and finding the new batsignal. (Gordon put people in prison based on a lie, and this edit magnifies it more when the populous undertones are removed. There is no way he was getting his job back, hes lucky not to be prosecuted. He is still somewhat honored at the Statue unveiling, so he's not vilified.)
  • Removed Fox discussion about autopilot.(Bruce dies in this edit.)
  • Removed Alfred on vacation seeing Bruce. Also removed Alfred's sobbing lines at the cemetary. (He's removed so much in this edit that it just seems over the top now.)

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gave TDK a good watch, then gave this another review. Of course its nowhere near as good as TDK, but i like how the "Consequences" edit has turned out overall, and it still seems to flow well from TDK, while having enough changes to warrant a proper IFDB release.

Notes upon full review of the new cut:
I do miss Bruce's fatalism at the beginning, but the added mystery and overall darker tone seems worth it. It starts with less of a feel as a "final story of a trilogy" and instead feels like a "here's a new villain for Batman" movie, and slowly becomes an indictment of Batman and Gordon's decisions. Instead of the populous subplot, the focus on the spiraling chaos resulting from lies of Gordon and Bruce seem more in focus and relevant, and more melancholic for Gordon. He is truly trapped by his attempts at good. Bane's intentions of revealing the lies seem clearer, and his actions seem more sinister without so much exposition. I DO still wish there was a better final battle between Batman and Bane, and I wish Bane's death was more poignant. But I can only do so much, right? Open to suggestions.

But if there are none, I'll be pulling together the final official cut list and making sure quality standards are top notch - this one seems ready for release!

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, took a breather, worked on an edit for another movie as a palette cleanser, and watched again with fresh eyes. Very happy with this edit, the late reveal of Bruce seems to work fine. 

I was still underwhelmed with the Bane/Batman final fight, so added audio fight fx from their sewer fight, to try to make this more epic. I also added more sound fx for when he hits Bane's mask.
https://vimeo.com/user24242168/download/511832158/b26f0da80f[/video]
NOW I think its ready. Always open to feedback!

Top Bottom