• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

TDKR - "The Consequences Edit" New 2021 Update

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2021 is here and old incomplete edits need a review. At first, I felt this was one of my edits destined for the bin. Looking back on my TDKR edit again, I forgot how many problems are in this movie. Slow fights, silly motivations, and exposition galore. I never thought this was improved enough to warrant a release.

Until now. Possibly. If this works.

Reading a review recently about how "Bruce healing twice" is bad storytelling, I got inspired to experiment a little more, removing the "old" aspect of Bruce so he only has to heal from his fight with Bane. Playing around with this led me down a new rabbit hole. Big changes abound, but the main ones are the removal of all scenes with "old Bruce" and the discussions about him being a recluse. He may not be Batman anymore, but he's not decrepit.

One big effect of this is that we lose Bruce and Selina's first meeting, and so we must turn the ballroom dance scene into their first face to face. This is also the first time the audience actually sees Bruce as well.

We also lose Blake telling Bruce how he knows him. Now he shows up to the mansion, and Alfred looks annoyed. Blake and Bruce's relationship is implied but mysterious (I hope.) Bruce just is friends with an up an coming cop on the force, perhaps trying to lighten the load from Gordon after the stuff with his kid. Gordon effectively is traumatized. My original edit was called "Long Live the Batman" but this newer version doesn't suit the title anymore. Blake doesn't become another Batman. (Batman beyond maybe?)

This also means we lose Alfred and Bruce's first discussion in the cave. Alfred is EXTREMELY sidelined in this edit, showing up only to be annoyed that Blake is encouraging Bruce to be batman again, to get the drive to Fox and resign from Bruce, and to mourn at Bruce's grave and for the will.

Since we lose Alfred warning Bruce about Bane, this is where the REAL rabbit hole began- making Bane more of a menacing mystery. ("Show Don't Tell" mantra in full effect!) I leaned into things like showing Bane enter and exit the stock exchange, but not waiting inside. I removed Bane explicitly mentioning "the League of shadows" in his sewer fight with Bruce. We don't find out about the pit until Bruce is taken there. And little things, like he doesn't grasp at his mask as Bruce breaks it - he keeps fighting like a badass, but its just enough for Bruce to start getting the advantage again.

New Ending:
  • Removed reference to Blake name not being real, removed Robin reference. Blake is something new. (He used his handgun to kill two guys and carried a shotgun to save Gordon. He ain't no Batman.)
  • Removed Gordon trying to recruit Blake and finding the new batsignal. (Gordon put people in prison based on a lie, and this edit magnifies it more when the populous undertones are removed. There is no way he was getting his job back, hes lucky not to be prosecuted. He is still somewhat honored at the Statue unveiling, so he's not vilified.)
  • Removed Fox discussion about autopilot.(Bruce dies in this edit.)
  • Removed Alfred on vacation seeing Bruce. Also removed Alfred's sobbing lines at the cemetary. (He's removed so much in this edit that it just seems over the top now.)
https://vimeo.com/504202375[/video]
Other fixes from my original edit include:
  • Format is full HD all the time, no IMAX format changes.
  • Remove Gordon's opening speech - A lot is explained well enough already, this being one as the mayor says it all soon after
  • Plane takeover is faster.
  • No blood transfusion.
  • Alfred's dream vacation story is scrubbed.
  • All mentions of autopilot are scrubbed.
  • Bane's attack on the stock exchange seems more methodical.
  • Exterior Stock Exchange shots color-corrected to seem like sunset, to better fit with the nighttime chase scene.
  • The history eraser program is minimized to a 'gangland myth' and not a motivation for Selina after Batman saves her from the thugs.
  • Removed Selina looking back at Bane while being shot at on the rooftop.
  • In Selina's apartment, the history eraser program subject is again removed.
  • Bruce is not locked out of his house so he doesn't need to sleep with Talia out of nowhere.
  • Background tension builder added to Bane/Batman sewer fight.
  • Bane does not say he was born in the darkness, but he still says he was a man when he first saw the light.
  • Beginning with the prison breakout, Countdown to Core Meltdown Captions spread out the timing of Bruce's recovery beginning at 150 days, with some scenes re-ordered to accommodate.
  • Any verbal mention of time outside of a more evenly paced decent into chaos are removed.
  • Timecodes added to Bruce's scenes in the pit.
  • Once Batman hits Bane's facemask and breaks it, Bane doesn't try to fix it during the fight.
  • Removed Batman saying "where's the trigger" repeatedly.
  • The Batwing chase scene is tightened up, Shots of solders inside the tanks are removed
  • Talia doesn't actually do the full death scene, she talks and is done.
  • Gordon doesn't discuss who Batman is.
  • Bruce dies.
  • No vacation scenes with Alfred, Bruce and Selina.
  • Blake gets the bag without being called Robin.
  • Gordon doesn't return to work. No new Batsignal. Blake will become SOMETHING, but not Batman. (Unless he spends years training to be better than having to shoot the two goons at the cement place) He's got potential. And he seems to have already known Bruce
Feedback welcome! Preview available, and please chime in if anyone has a wishlist for changes to this movie! I thought it was beyond hope simply due to how great TDK is. I'm actually approaching this review with new perspective, and am very optimistic.

7zOBFT9.jpg

2017 Original Post Summary:
While I regard "The Dark Knight" as one of my all time favorite movies, I never felt TDKR was a worthy successor, so I trimmed this like a bonsai tree- a little at a time. Talia's sex scene - TOTALLY NOT NEEDED. Anyways, a little here and there, and I trimmed 14 min off. I am happy with my current edit but am always looking for criticism.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to Pending Approval. @"DominicCobb" will respond to you with further information regarding the approval.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moved to ITW as the editor is working on certain aspects of the edit.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How are you dealing with the fact Batman goes from Gotham to random exotic location (pit) and back in the same day?

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL no timeline for taking him there, and my countdown once the stadium blows (152 days till critical core meltdown) gives him about 43 days to get from the prison to Gotham. I had to take out almost all the time cues in the dialogue.  The countdown is discussed with Bane and the Physicist, but starts when Bruce sees the broadcast. I figured if Bruce knew about the possibility of the core becoming a bomb, he would also know roughly about how much time it would take.

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This seems to be quite a promising edit, and I like where most if not all of the changes come from :) A few suggestions though?

-I felt that the constant switching in formats (35mm film and IMAX) was overdone and jarring, so maybe try cropping a few shots here and there for breathing room?
-During the first fight between Bats and Bane, it didn't feel epic enough for me. Perhaps simply down to not having any music?
-Once Selina kills Bane at the end, her joke about "no guns" really undercuts the moment imo.
-Maybe trim out all dialogue/references about sending literally every single cop down into the sewers for one man

Feel free to use any of those changes or none at all, these are honestly just gripes I've held in for quite some time ;)

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the input Ironman! Specifically to you:

Felt the same way exactly. Latest edit is "all widescreen, all the time" 1920x800 goodness.
Whoa thats a juicy good idea right there. Felt the same as you about the scene, but hadn't thought of your approach. Working on it now, and tried adding Bane's theme lightly in the back. Made that scene 10x better. Thank you!! I hope you like it as much as I do. Might be my favorite part of the edit now.
Ah yes, the cops. I tried to change that, but  consequently, the length of Bane's reign just didn't seem to work without a reason for the lack of resistance. Please know that I tried. (The movie does make it clear though that MOST went down, not all, but the rest are being hunted and killed.)

And to everyone, I am EXCITED to announce that the final edit is finished! If you already have the link, the new file is up. For everyone else, PM me for the link. (Looking at you Ironman) 

I appreciate those who screened the first cut - there were some sloppy errors, lots of audio issues, that you looked past and still watched. That should not have happened, I apologize.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*I tightened the audio edit in Selina Kyle's apartment last night a bit better.  Link has updated version as of now. I would suggest re-downloading if you have the link.

DigModiFicaTion, I am ready for submission for Academy approval now.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Great Subtracter said:
DigModiFicaTion, I am ready for submission for Academy approval now.

Great! DominicCobb is your go to guy for submitting first time edits.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dammit, just found a few missed frame cuts (and an audio anomaly near the end) on the latest output. Will have a fixed file ASAP

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"gazza", when in doubt, you can (should) always consult the rules.
This is allowed. Though you may want to offer a higher resolution version ;)

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
it is high resolution but when i try to link to site it goes small?

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i knew adding covers were allowed but i meant on this post

Top Bottom