• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Tarzan Goes To Guatemala (1935)

Billy Batson

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anyone is interested, I've edited the 1935 serial, "The New Adventures of Tarzan," down to a 122-minute feature-length film. I expect to add this edit to the IFDB after giving any interested board members a chance to review and comment on it.

For those unfamiliar with the serial, "The New Adventures of Tarzan" is a 4 hour and 17 minute, twelve-chapter serial made on location in Guatemala in 1935 that has slipped into the public domain. Herman Brix (later known as Bruce Bennett), an Olympic shot putter and former University of Washington football player, was a good fit for the educated Tarzan from the novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Producer Ashton Dearholt played the movie's primary villain under an assumed name and fell in love with the serial's leading lady, moving her into his household after the picture was completed, which didn't go over well with his wife. His wife divorced him and ended up marrying Burroughs.

Making the serial eventually drove the independent film company formed for its production into bankruptcy. The sound is notoriously bad because of the cheap sound equipment trucked through the Guatemalan jungles and over the rough terrain. Still, the film is watchable and you get what you pay for.

The serial was previously edited into two separate movies by the original production company ("The New Adventures of Tarzan" in 1935, and "Tarzan and the Green Goddess" in 1938), with added footage showing African animals supposedly cavorting in South America. This fan edit is a new retelling of the serial in one feature length film. Only elements from the actual serial have been used.

Watched. :)

This was in many respects a refreshing change from the Johnny Weissmuller flicks, since this version is much closer to the Tarzan of the novels.

In regards to this edit, I think it works pretty well, I was able to follow the narrative along without feeling like anything was missing, which is remarkable when distilling cliffhanger serials down to standard movie run times.

I was not a fan of the Greystoke Manor bookends, as it sort makes Tarzan look foolish for your first impression.  But based on the ending I understand the necessary evil of it.

For an action packed serial, the movie edit pacing often feels slow and anti-climatic.  I believe this mostly due to the fact the original serial lacks any significant film score.  I would strongly recommend adding music to the edit, lots of music, to help in setting tone/mood and to heighten the action and dramatic scenes.

Thank you so much for sharing!  Always fun to watch Tarzan save the day.

Now maybe you can do something with Buster Crabbe's Tarzan the Fearless? lol

Thanks @"bionicbob", the tough part was including enough of the boring bits to keep an intact plot line. I agree about the music, but unfortunately I'm not very good at scoring. Maybe someone with enough interest in it could take a hand at scoring and we'll share credit? At any rate, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom