• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

T R O N : P E R F E C T I O N (2022 Quality Update)

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bad Movie Made Less Bad Presents:
A quick little edit, more conservative than some of my usual.

T R O N : P E R F E C T I O N

Original Runtime: 125min
New Runtime: 97min

I recently watched a *bad* sci-fi movie about a parallel world that is really a metaphor for drug addiction. Then, after watching a YouTube video of a reviewer and their love of Tron Legacy, I watched that film again too. There was a lot to love about the movie, the soundtrack, the visuals, but it was a bit bloated with some terrible plot threads that go nowhere, like the ISOs being gods and whatnot, about "religion and philosophy" blah blah, and about the current state of corporate business models. This seems like a fun video-game style movie, trying too hard to be so much more - to be profound. There were also a lot of seeds planted for a franchise that never materialized.

While I didn't share my absolute LOVE of the film the way the youtuber was, I found similarities to the other movie. About getting lost in something, in the case of Kevin Flynn, his work and the quest for perfectionism. Having worked closely with nutty founders and CEOs in the past and watching how family often came second, the buried message resonated for me.

I saw a metaphor about father who abandoned his family to put his work first, and is now living a new life and responsible for a new child - to the detriment of his firstborn son.

Trapped by the same drive for perfection that brought him such joy in his youth, he is forced to confront his faults to save his children, knowing it will destroy him in the process.

Surprised I couldn't find a Tron Legacy fanedit already, so lets see what we can do. The goal is just a fun, video game-vibe movie with a cautionary tale about chasing perfection.
  1. First thing to fix - that god awful Jeff Bridges CGI.
    My plan is to remove as much of the Kevin Flynn CGI, but leave the Clu CGI, even though its still bad LOL. I was going to enlist the help of some deepfake work to fix what was left, but I think I was able to get around it, removing his opening scene with Sam and most of the flashbacks.
  2. Remove as much of the "company" story as possible.
    In the original Tron, the company aspect was important to the story, but not as much here - free software? Meh. Lets focus on the father/son relationship.
  3. Give Quorra more independence.
    Remove her asking if Sam actually know Jules Verne, or what a sunrise looks like. She's just a badass. Less gazing at Sam.
  4. Remove Sam insisting on saving his dad.
    Kevin is a barely remorseful absentee father here, and Sam realizes it. While Sam SHOULD want to save him, he is still angry and I think it's a lot to ask him to forgive his dad in one day, after he basically admitted his work overwhelmed him. Open to deeper discussion about this, I am speculating here. My dad, while traumatizing in his own way, wasn't absent, so I could be way off.
  5. Show, don't tell.
    Lots of exposition cut.

Here are a few major scene changes. After review of the first draft, I caught many little audio issues, so these clips will get updated.
I would love some input on whether we need to see Sam and Quorra safe on the outside (happy ending) or have the movie end when they escape (dark ending.)

Which do you prefer?

Last edited:

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3k6T52j.jpg

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reviewed it last night and I still think there is opportunity with the Tron character. I added some more back into the Meeting and a new voiceover to the intro, to give the Tron character more depth.

Next is to have Tron "flicker" back to blue/white when he decides to disobey Clu, and have him "flicker" off in the water. This will be a big one, so it will take some time here. Everything else is looking good.

New update to the Opening sequence using the cut flashback as a new intro voiceover:
New update to The Meeting to add back in Tron saving Flynn.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New rough cut of "Tron's redemption" with my weak FX - once Tron finally sees Kevin, he is able to break free from Clu.

It goes a bit against canon in the movie because his whole ship doesn't change color, but I am not about to attempt to recolor the collision...  although open to advice or help LOL. 

I also took out his lines from this sequence as it seems more ominous and dark without them...

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The main reason I was leaning toward the initial dark ending, where the movie ends when the Grid scenes end, was because the scenes with Quorra on the outside had a very Disney-esque sappy score, not Daft Punk like at all. Daft's music represented the Grid, so they wouldn't carry over to the natural world. I get it, I just didn't love it.

Inspired by the very sad news of the Daft Punk breakup, who's music is one of the main reasons I wanted to save this movie, I added a new score for the end scenes - bringing in the less "robotic" songs from Random Access Memories.

Quorra sees her first real sunrise (happy ending) or have the Grid experience seem like a metaphor for Sam releasing his paternal anger, with just a glimpse of Quorra to maintain mystery, but also because I couldn't cut her out completely. (dark ending.)

I'm leaning toward the happy ending because it does give Quorra a little more character development. 

Looking for any feedback!

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there anyway to move the Cycle Scene further into the movie? It's the best scene in the whole movie and it starts to lag afterwards.

BTW, I want to love this movie so badly.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
Is there anyway to move the Cycle Scene further into the movie? It's the best scene in the whole movie and it starts to lag afterwards.

Man I hear ya, that is a huge complaint in many reviews (and I have now read almost all still available online while working on this edit, looking for opportunities.) I agree there's a scalped (V2) edit hidden somewhere inside:
  1. Sam arrives on the Grid
  2. Sam meets Dad
  3. Sam drives OG lightcycle into town
  4. Sam gets caught and sent to games
  5. Lightcycles 2.0
  6. Quorra saves him
  7. lightplane battle
  8. final confrontation.
I would just have to find quality motivation that moves the plot forward for that. I'm not sure the dialogue could be adjusted enough to make it work but its possible. Worth an attempt at an alternate edit for sure!

revel911 said:
BTW, I want to love this movie so badly.

Right on. My feeling exactly. The idea of the world of Tron was so cool. Not the actual story, or the graphics of the lightcycles, but the idea of lightcycles. Its a big reason the game was so successful. The new Tron, however, blew its lightcycle wad before the first half, and couldn't follow it with anything nearly as cool.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After the news of Daft Punk, I felt this edit deserved an attempt at 5.1 audio, so I re-ripped in 7.1 and redited the whole thing from scratch. Always a slog, but inevitably a better product for it, redoing every little edit with better quality seemingly resulting. And a review of each edit choice. Out of the full 90min, I think there is only a few seconds of blank center channel, and the rescored ending may sound weird since the Daft Punk song is stereo. I have a Sonos sound bar faking "3.1" audio where it sounds great, but I would love any reviewers of audio quality that can test the 5.1. Otherwise I will release in Stereo, which helps mask all the dialogue edits I do.

Speaking of dialogue edits, I have finished my exhaustive cut list which details almost all the terrible lines I cut. Turned out to be quite a few.

I wasn't able to adjust the placement in the movie for the disc wars and lightcycle battles to be later, but I do think the second half lags less now, hopefully!

All clips reflect the most recent version, and the Happy Ending version is the one I am going with. I am on final review for technical aspects!

4LNAw3s.jpg

(Wide Plex Background)

Bad Movies Made Less Bad Presents:
Tron Perfection

Initial Runtime 125min
Final Runtime 91min

TRace ON and TRace OFF

It's not exactly Lawrence of Arabia or Citizen Kane. This is a popcorn flick about the consequences of an entrepreneur who abandoned his family to put his work first.

Tron Perfection is less about Sam Flynn (who is merely our entry-point into the Grid.) Ultimately, its a story about the conflict of man vs himself. Kevin Flynn spent so much in his crusade to get revenge on Dillinger in the original Tron that once he got his revenge, made Clu, and set about to create a new Grid, he was mirroring comparable character flaws that included massive ambition married to a sense of entitlement. The conflict is between old Kevin and Clu, who at the most literal level represents the obsessive ambition of the younger Kevin. Clu can't be destroyed so much as reabsorbed back into Flynn by Flynn recognizing and confronting Clu as himself. Flynn's resentment in the first Tron film is simultaneously understandable, but inevitably sets the stage for his avatar Clu placing his own legacy and self-aggrandizement above the benefit of others. After Clu sets his master plan into action with a page to the outside world, the old Kevin can no longer escape the consequences of this abdication merely by inaction. To save his real and adopted children, Kevin has to embrace both the reality of Clu's propensity for evil (which is his own) AND his own shortcomings as a father, and finally resolve the conflict within himself.

Major Changes:
  • Show, don’t tell in effect as much as possible.
  • Scenes in the real world are extremely trimmed – we are in the world of TRON by the 11th minute of the movie. No sequel bait, no franchise seeds.
  • All scenes that show a digitized Kevin Flynn are removed. Clu is the only one to wear the Young Kevin face. And when possible, some of the worst frames of Clu are removed, usually when his mouth looks the worst. (I reviewed some of the youtube TRON deepfakes to see if any were worth reaching out to the creators for help on the edit, but they all seemed to lack any emotion. I suspect its due to putting a deepfake on an already digitized face, but I decided to stick with the Uncanny Clu. I think is works here.)
  • Terrible dialogue is trimmed wherever possible to remove the cringe factor. (Lots of “whats his problem” and “now this I can do” type stuff.
  • Quorra is edited to be less leering at Sam and less inquisitive about the outside world, hopefully tempering the "born sexy yesterday" trope (a woman defined both by her immense sex appeal and her intense childlike naivety, a figure created almost entirely to be leered over or as a prize to be won by the male protagonist.)
  • The “profoundness” of the ISOs is downplayed, their “infinitely wise and infinitely naïve” aspects and that they will “CHANGE THE WORLD.” Kevin simply feels responsible for her life, teaching her and protecting her, like the father he SHOULD have been to Sam.
  • Tron’s final change of sides is adjusted slightly. Some of his lines were removed (more mysterious) and his color change happened during the change. This allows him to simply “turn off” in the water instead of looking like theres a chance he is coming back when his color changes in the water. That was just confusing.

Last edited:

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Detailed Cut List:
  • Intro narration removed, replaces with voiceover of Clu’s surprise attack on Kevin and Tron
  • Scenes of Young Kevin giving speech removed.
  • New credit text added to the intro “Sam on a motorcycle” shots.
  • Removed Sam talking to his dog about how “he earned it” when giving him food.
  • Removed Sam changing his shirt and tossing beer to Alan
  • All discussion about Encom antic removed from dialogue.
  • Reference to being in jail removed
  • Trimmed guard dialogue “This program has no disk!” to “No Disk!”
  • Removed “He actually did it” line
  • Removed Sam talking to other programs in the lineup (he does not reveal his name, doesn’t ask “whats his problem”)
  • Removed the Games Outfit Ladies (?) shots where the stand and wait at times, for Sam to simply gaze. They move methodical, do not mention that Sam is different, and Gem only exchanges one major noticeable glance at Sam that will be referenced to later.
  • Removed “its got a zipper” line
  • When Sam is given his disk, “subject to immediate deresolution” has been trimmed to “subject to deresolution.”
  • Shots of the Games Outfit Ladies going back into their “booby” cases are minimized. (I mean, WTF?)
  • Sam does not talk to his first Disc Wars opponent, and that opponent does not do any cool spinning jumps, hopefully so it is more believable that Sam beat his first opponent.
  • Removed “I won, now let me out!”
  • Sam does not beat his second opponent, he is only showing deflecting the disc and escaping
  • Announcer does not mention that Sams second opponent was beaten
  • Removed Jarvis asking to be included in Clu’s plans
  • Dialogue during fight with Sam and Rinzler removed, fight trimmed to remove Sam dualing Rinzler upside-down, now he just gets his ass handed to him thoroughly.
  • Clu does not ask Sam to “identify” with the weird voice.
  • When Clu meets Sam, removed “let me go” and “freaks” lines
  • Removed “is this the Grid?”
  • Removed couple frames of Clu when he is circling Sam to remove a few of the most objectionable parts of the digital face, specifically when he loses the top lip.
  • Removed Jarvis looking on as Clu examines Sam’s disc
  • Tightened time for Sam to remark “that’s a hell of a way to treat your son” to seem more reactionary
  • Removed Sam recognizing “Clu”
  • Removed Clu calling Sam a ‘User!”
  • Removed Sam telling Clu “you wanna play? I’ll play”
  • Removed Jarvis asking Clu if he liked the speech
  • Removed crowd reaction to Jarvis saying “not that”
  • Removed “This I can Do”
  • Removed close up face shot of first lightcycle death
  • Removed Sam’s “whoa” after first lightcycle kill
  • Removed closeup face shot of cyclist on the circular part the gets killed by Clu
  • Removed nod to Sam from other lightcyclist about them working together, like it was enough info. Instead, the shot cuts in a way as we only see them split from the opponent’s POV
  • Removed “another customer”
  • Removed Quorra “gazing” at Sam as she drives
  • Removed Quorra “gazing” at Sam in the elevator
  • Adjusted Kevin’s line “I dreamed of Tron.” to “I dreamed.”
  • Removed “you have no idea” line. Not enough in the movie to emphasize that to Kevin it may have been centuries that he hasn’t seen Sam
  • Quorra doesn’t show Sam the lightcycle. Its in the shots enough.
  • Kevin’s look to the city trimmed to end with his guilty sadness at the time he missed and his recognition of a life he neglected.
  • Removed Quorra asking Sam if he knows Jules Verne
  • Removed Sam inspecting his food.
  • Removed Quorra “gazing” at Sam again
  • Removed Kevin explaining that his partners were so he could leave and see Sam and run Encom. Instead it is just ambition.
  • Removed Sam knowing about Tron and Clu
  • Removed face shots of Young Kevin in flashbacks
  • Removed Sam’s “the miracle” line And kevin’s “You Remembered” line
  • Removed “For Centuries we dreamed of gods, spirits, aliens, an intelligence beyond our own… profound naïve, unimaginably wise”
  • Removed shots of arm glow marks on ISOs
  • Removed “The ISOs shattered it – the possibility of their root code, their digital DNA. Disease: History! Science, philosophy, every idea man has had about the universe up for grabs. Bio-digital jazz, man. The ISOs, they were going to be my gift to the world.”
  • Reduced the flashback to Clu’s coup to a few shots of Tron fighting, and a quick shot of Kevin running away, and voiceover only of Kevin’s description of the events.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
  • Removed “so why didn’t you fight? He did. Clu fed on my resistance, the more I fought, the more powerful he became. It was impressive really. And my miracle?”
  • Removed “The purge”
  • Removed “it uses massive power and it can’t stay open forever. And like a safe, it can only be opened from the outside.”
  • Removed “it activated when I came in”
  • Removed “My Disc is everything Sam, it’s the master key. The golden ticket, the way out. And not just for me... our worlds are more connected than anyone knows”
  • Removed “whats more perfect than our world”
  • Removed “but it is a way. We can go home, don’t you want that? Sometime life has a way of moving you past things like wants and hopes. That’s great dad, keep telling yourself that.”
  • Removed “if he refuses to save himself then I will. How?’
  • Removed “and my gut says that you don’t wanna be stuck in this place for eternity either. I really think you should consider your father’s wisdom.”
  • Removed shots that imply Kevin’s bed is in the living room, the same room Sam gets the lightcycle from.
  • Removed Sam meeting the hobo program. (He definitely would have already been rectified, right?)
  • Reordered shots of Kevin and Quorra looking out into city, removed “chaos, good news”
  • Removed Castor’s discussion with the faction leader.
  • Removed Jarvis awkwardness in Kevin’s lair.
  • Turned Clu origin flashback into voiceover while he inspects Kevin’s Lair
  • Removed “playing all the angles”
  • Removed shot of double light saber
  • Removed shot of Daft punk “deciding” to start new music for the fight. They just “keep” playing now.
  • Removed faction leader’s call to “resist”
  • Tightened up Quorra’s arm loss to remove overly dramatic shots.
  • Removed “a little help here maybe?”
  • Removed “Sam you’re really… you’re messing up my Zen thing man. She’s stable.
  • Removed “I don’t know, we do nothing. We do nothing. Be still. Wait.”
  • Removed “this will take us there”
  • Removed “she’s everything I’ve ever worked for. A digital frontier to reshape the human condition. I always thought that was just a plug line. In our world, she could change everything.”
  • Removed “now its time for you to tell me a story”
  • Removed “ice caps are melting, war in the middle east, Lakers Celtics back at it, I dunno the rich get richer, the poor get poorer”
  • Removed “when Flynn entered the space, everything changed. Ive never seen anything quite like it. The awe was palpable. Was it?” And removed Jarvis getting rejected by Gem.
  • Removed “control of the city?”
  • Removed “how long have you been searching for this, Clu? About a thousand cycles?”
  • Removed “the master key to any and all riddles of the Grid Grid Gird”
  • Shot of End of the Line Bar exploding happens just a bit sooner.
  • Trimmed Quorra line “standing above me was the creator, your father” to “standing above me was your father.”
  • Removed “I guess you could say I’m a rescue”
  • Removed “Trust me there’s no comparison. What’s it like? The Sun? Yeah. Man, ah. I’ve never had to describe it before. Warm? Radiant. Beautiful.”
  • Removed “What happened? New course.”
  • Removed “He’s building an army”
  • Removed shots of Kevin’s disc energizing the battle station
  • Removed shot of Clu covering up Quorra’s arm ID
  • Removed “I have something very special in mind for you”
  • Removed “You’ll have to excuse me, you arrive just as I was preparing a little toast”
  • Removed “together, we have achieved a great many things. We’ve created a vast, complex system. We’ve maintained it, we’ve improved it. We have rid it of its imperfection. Not to mention, rid it of the false deities that sought to enslave us. Kevin Flynn, where are you now?”
  • Removed “and unlike our selfish creator, who reserved the privilege of our world only to himself, I will make their world open and available to all of us. Yes! To all of us!”
  • Removed “And whatever we find there, there our system will grow. There, our system will blossom. DO this, do this for me, be loyal to me, and I will never betray you.
  • Removed “even if I make it out you won’t last in here, Quorra won’t last. Sam it’ll be alright, come on! Will you let it go, I’m not going home without you. Sam… Same team, remember? I was afraid you were going to say that.”
  • Removed “Wheels, whats your plan? I’ll improvise – I’m a user”
  • Removed “Out there is our victory, out there is our destiny.” Since the initial Kevin Flynn Speech is cut, this parallel has no relevance.
  • Removed “I’m not a program, my name is Sam Flynn”
  • Kevin’s reprograming of the guard works the first time, no hit in the head needed
  • Removed shot of Sam grabbing the wings, and Kevin saying “radical man!”
  • Removed shot of Rinzler running right after recovering from the ledge fall
  • Removed “try and hold onto this, you’re gonna need it”
  • Removed “you got this Quorra, its all in the wrist”
  • Removed “head towards the light, Quorra. Where’d you learn that move back there? Encom tower, couple nights ago. Encom tower, huh.”
  • Reordered Lightplane battle to accommodate dialogue removals
  • Removed “oh man I’m all over this, yeah!. One down five to go. Nice. We gotta split them up! Have a nice swim! We gotta get behind them!”
  • Removed “he’s gaining on us… Yes! It’s jammed!”
  • Added “glitch” color change and Rinzler reverts back to Tron
  • Removed “oh come on! Flynn, go!”
  • Removed “Roll! I fight for the users! That is, its over, its over! Quorra, theres something I need you to do”
  • Re-colored Tron/Rinzler arial battle with Tron’s new “Good” color.
  • Removed “lets get you home dad. take her down. Hang on this is gonna be rough”
  • Removed “Its impossible but its also right in front of us the whole time”
  • Tightened Quorra’s tether maneuver
  • Removed “remember what you came for” and shots of Quorra pushing Sam toward portal
  • Removed “Dad!”
  • Removed “No! Sam, its what he wants. I’m not leaving you! Take her!” and Quorra presenting Sam the disc
  • Removed smartphone transfer shots In Kevin’s basement office
  • Removed Alan’s pager sound
  • Removed discussion about the board and Alan being the new Chairman
  • Removed “oh and” line
  • Removed Sam hitting the fuse switch
  • Removed Quorra and Sam discussion
  • Removed Quorra “gazing” at Sam.
  • Rescored the ending with Daft Punk’s “Doin it Right

Last edited:

Scar

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the idea of more clearly seeing the transition of Rinzler back into Tron via the earlier color shift -- and your preview of it proves it works. The relative absence/unimportance of the title character to the theatrical release is one of the things that still bugs me about it. As someone who revisits LEGACY once or twice a year, I'm def. looking forward to giving PERFECTION a watch.

alzagor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a bit late to the party, but I also agree with Scar. For a film named Tron, the Tron character is under-used, so all the edits to promote him more are great! It'd take more time, but would be even more visually obvious of Tron's shift back to good if you swap the red to blue on his whole ship during his last camera flyby before he says "I fight for the users". You've established the the SFX earlier to him trying to re-align himself. Hear that sound again during the ship flyby before Clu gets rammed. Have it flicker a couple more times with SFX like you already have. The Blue ship is a bigger statement and rally moment to the audience, "Whoa... he's changed! What's he going to do now...? He just rammed Clu!" It gives a chance for more antipaction and build up. :)

My only assumption is Tron would've played a bigger part in the original Tron 3 story. Plus David Warner was problaby going to come back since they did such an obvious actor plant in the INCOM meeting with his son.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...swap the red to blue on his whole ship during his last camera flyby before he says "I fight for the users"...

I completely agree - just as what happens when Quorra steals the ship! I sadly decided against the full ship conversion though since that I do not have the FX skill to adjust the color to the additional resulting ship explosion as well. The explosion is the hard part that kept me from doing the full ship recolor.

But always open to volunteers to handle that recolor lol but I hope the edit works well enough with the level I was able to pull off.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Officially released! Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Last edited:

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New update finished! (v2.10) This audio only update addresses the various valid criticisms about dialogue, and i think the whole edit is much better for it.

The original audio is, for the most part, amazing. However, during the lightplane dogfight scene, Daft goes a tiny bit overboard and "hits the reds" in far to much of the scene. My first effort to fix this was a bit blunt, reducing the total audio until we never hit peaks, hoping viewers would simply turn up their own audio to compensate. But a lot of depth and texture was lost, and the dialogue clearly didn't benefit either.

After the valid criticism, my blunt force attempt do bring everything back to normal did not go so well- there are small foley bits that needed to be massaged a bit more individually.

So the new version addresses each scene individually to keep as much of the original audio as possible, fine tuning the dogfight scene specifically to *somewhat* address the overblown spots, and bring up the dialogue ever so slightly were possible. And while it took a bit of work, I appreciate the honest feedback, and do believe the edit is better for it. Thank you @maven48 and @bionicbob!

Talysman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The flow of this edit is incredible. Hits the ground running, and keeps driving forward without any unnecessarily tangled subplots. Loved it!

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The flow of this edit is incredible. Hits the ground running, and keeps driving forward without any unnecessarily tangled subplots. Loved it!
Hell yeah, thank you for checking it out!

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agreed. This was a great edit, technically flawless. I love the originals, yet this edit improves upon Legacy.

Top Bottom