• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Switching from Premiere Pro to...something else?

CriticalHitRate

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd like to stop subscribing to Adobe Creative Cloud and try a different NLE. I have a couple of questions for the community:

1) I know there's no shortage of NLE options, and I have no problem with a one-time purchase. Instead of asking generally for recommendations, I'd like to ask more specifically for a recommendation from someone who's also acquainted with Premiere Pro and could suggest something that's going to feel familiar to me. Bonus points for something available on Linux, although I know that's a much shorter list.

2) The only thing I use from Premiere Pro which I suspect may be unavailable or at least less common elsewhere is the ability to remix (shorten or extend) music automatically. If you know of an NLE with a similar function, please mention it. Alternatively, perhaps there's an AI tool somewhere online I could use instead?

Thanks!

I also use Premiere, but just about yearly Humble Bundle will have a deal for Magix Vegas (formerly Sony Vegas) for about 20 bucks and I've bought that a few times, I recommend waiting for it if you're going to make a big switch just for the great deal. I have it installed already for if/when I stop with Adobe. Vegas I think is the most popular software here in the forums.

The other good alternative is DaVinci Resolve, which is free and has a paid version for more features, that's also getting more and more popular.

Neither have the audio feature you describe, to my knowledge. I didn't even know Premiere had that honestly. And I'm not sure about Linux.

2) The only thing I use from Premiere Pro which I suspect may be unavailable or at least less common elsewhere is the ability to remix (shorten or extend) music automatically. If you know of an NLE with a similar function, please mention it. Alternatively, perhaps there's an AI tool somewhere online I could use instead?

Thanks!
Vegas does have the option to shorten or lengthen audio. I've used it a number of times in edits. When clicking on the file in the time line, you're able to select its properties and lengthen or shorten it by writing in the new length you want. There are some parameters you can set for how it does this and then it will automatically adjust the track.

And just like that, Humble has Vegas for 20 bucks right now.
That's hilarious. Thanks for the heads up, and for conjuring the deal into existence.

Vegas does have the option to shorten or lengthen audio. I've used it a number of times in edits. When clicking on the file in the time line, you're able to select its properties and lengthen or shorten it by writing in the new length you want. There are some parameters you can set for how it does this and then it will automatically adjust the track.
Outstanding! Thanks for confirming.

Turns out I'm not fully magic. It's 25 bucks this time, lol. But it is a more recent version (19) than the ones I've gotten previously (think I have 16), so that's a plus.
Oh well. Can't get em all right! Hope you like it though!

Well I guess you could buy Premiere Elements but it's more of a starter NLE, I always found it intuitive but I'm not sure I'd want to go back to it after using Pro for a while, I'm just way more efficient with the hotkeys and Elements is more about clicking things.

The other alternatives are Sony Vegas and Final Cut Pro, but I can't vouch for either of those you'd have to trial them to see how they flow. I've heard good things over the years but generally from novices so they may compare more to Elements than Pro, not sure, probably worth testing them though.

Davinci Resolve does have a full feature set but personally I find the interface incredibly unintuitive and frustrating, so coming from PP it may be the same for you. Loading files for instance is a chore, and in the free version the selection it supports seems rather hit and miss, I was trying to troubleshoot an audio sync for a file that I couldn't use in PP the other day and when I loaded it into Resolve I had a variety of problems, some encodings wouldn't show me the video, others wouldn't import the audio. I tried looking it up and apparently a couple of them may have been due to being the free version and if I had paid for the expensive one it would have worked, but it's odd that it didn't tell me that and just silently failed.

And I've also tried basically every open source NLE available a year or two ago and none of them were mature or feature complete, many were simplistic with only one audio track, some were missing transitions I expected to be basic features, etc. I was surprised that there was no good open source alternative since there are direct analogues for office suites, photo editors, etc, but apparently not for video editing.

At the end of the day I just suck it up and pay for PP because being able to edit quickly and easily is worth it, although I do resent how buggy it is for what they charge. You'd think they could fix 5+ version old math errors in the XML export for instance.

Back
Top Bottom