• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My family and I are currently in the middle of a re-watch of the Skywalker Saga. Changing it up again just for fun, this time our viewing order is 1-4-7, 2-5-8, 3-6-9. We're watching @ebumms' edits for the prequels (thanks so much to @greenturnedblue for providing them!), and @Hal9000's Ep. IV and VII. We'll switch back to HAL soon, but we're taking a quick detour to the Grindhouse version of ESB.

Interesting things to note with this order so far:
--Darth Vader's reveal has not yet fully been spoiled! We know about Anakin Skywalker from I; in IV, Ben tells Luke that his father (not named) was betrayed and murdered by Vader, and Luke later identifies himself as a Skywalker; and VII reveals that Kylo Ren's grandpa is Vader, linking him to either Leia or Han (neither have shown Force abilities at this point). A first-time viewer still might not make the connection, and be waiting for Vader to show up as a separate character in III, except for one thing...
--The opening crawl to VII mentions that Luke is Leia's brother. A bombshell like that shouldn't be given away in the crawl, and that makes the link between Vader and Leia stronger, since her brother shows Force sensitivity. Mind you, these edits weren't designed with this weird viewing order in mind. But we're on V now, and it's at least still possible someone might not figure out the Vader/Anakin connection.
--The Yoda reveal is of course lost because he already appeared in I and II before showing up in V. But a new mystery is created. Yoda's behavior is so different at first, one wonders if the events of the prequels drove him nuts. We still haven't seen III at this point, so we don't know if something happened to drive him off the deep end. It's still an effective reveal that he remains a wise Jedi master after all.
--Music: There's Anakin's theme in Ep. I; no version of that theme in IV; a couple of subtle hints at the Imperial theme in Ep. VII; and then a full-blown version of it as the Republic troops march in Ep. II, looking very stormtrooper-like. Vader's theme and the Imperial March still aren't fully connected until V, and if a new viewer noticed it, it would be chilling to wonder how the heroic Jedi ended up on the run from the same forces working alongside them in II.
--I downloaded the Grindhouse version of V on a lark because it was readily available. I assumed my family would go for a cleaned-up later version, and was surprised when this version caught their fancy instead. So far, the roughest part visually was the Fox logo and opening crawl. The graininess of the film subdues a lot after that (although it shows up a bit again when Luke gets to Dagobah). Seeing all the lines and scratches did bring back fond memories of watching movies in second-run theaters back in the '80s and '90s.
--I thought I remembered that there were only AT-ATs in V, and AT-STs weren't created until VI, but sure enough, one went by in the background for one shot that lasted a few seconds. I didn't catch it anywhere else. I wonder if Lucas added more for the SEs.
--I've always preferred puppet Yoda to the CGI version, but going straight from II to V, and especially with the rough quality of the film in the Grindhouse version, puppet Yoda has never looked more wobbly to me than now. I still wouldn't want him to ever get digitally replaced, but that's one thing that hasn't worked as well about this order.
--What has worked well is that one doesn't spend too long with one set of characters/tone/style, etc. Going from Rey and older Luke on Ach-To in VII to the chase through the neon streets of Coruscant with young Obi-Wan and Anakin in II was a delightful contrast. Somehow it does all seem like the same universe, but there's a lot of variety in this viewing order. I feel like Forrest Gump enjoying his box of chocolates.

So there ya go. Halfway through, and some things are better in this order, some are worse, and some are just different. If anyone's interested, I can post my updated overall impressions once we're done!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ex86TTxWUAIlaD6[1].jpg

I notice Disney+ has recently added a "Vintage Star Wars" section ("vintage" as in old, not "vintage" as in good). It's got the Ewoks movies in pin-sharp grainy 4:3 HD with the old green Lucasfilm logos and everything. They're rubbish IIRC but it's nice to know they are there. Since these are now the only pre SE Star Wars movies officially available in their original versions in HD, it's fair to assume Lucasfilm/Disney has more respect for Ewoks than the OT? :LOL:

It's also got the original 2D animated Clone Wars series in shiny HD (has that been available before?) and the Ewoks cartoon but that's in VHS level quality. The Holiday Special Boba Fett cartoon is in there but not the Droids cartoon, which I really liked.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the Boba Fett cartoon from the Holiday Special last night.
Wow, it's total crap and still the best part of the special.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's also a comic adaptation of the original script from Dark Horse. It's out of print now, so the print copy is super expensive, but the comiXology digital copy is only $12.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's also a comic adaptation of the original script from Dark Horse. It's out of print now, so the print copy is super expensive

Is it?! Oh good because I own a copy and thought it was rubbish (the writing not the excellent artwork), so I might stick that on ebay.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw this on reddit. I'm not usually a montage kind of person, but this was clever. Yes, neither of them witnessed some of these scenes, but they would have heard about them and I would think that's justification enough to show them.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dialogue is meh, but great models in this one.
So, this fanedit gave a better explanation for hyperspace tracking than TLJ could have hoped for.....

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was reading up on the cuts to AotC made by Lucas himself to get the film under 2 hours for the IMAX release. These cuts seem to significantly strengthen the film, but there's been no official home media release as far as I can tell. Has anyone done an edit of this already on the site that I'm unaware of? Otherwise, I might have to take a crack at this one day.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was reading up on the cuts to AotC made by Lucas himself to get the film under 2 hours for the IMAX release. These cuts seem to significantly strengthen the film, but there's been no official home media release as far as I can tell. Has anyone done an edit of this already on the site that I'm unaware of? Otherwise, I might have to take a crack at this one day.

I saw it in IMAX when it was released. It was a significantly better cut, IMO. But still a bad movie.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I HAVE actually edited and completed the movie to the closest I could get to the IMAX cut I could, using the info I gathered from people that had seen it. I couldn't wait to share it with you, but work grabbed a hold of me just when I exported the movie.

I will share it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A contemporaneous review of something called "Star Wars" from the BBC's Archive YT channel:

Critic Barry Norman gets it so right. The man really knew his onions (literally :LOL: ).

barry-norman-pickled-onions.jpg

^ Nom nom nom.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"He's a good director and deserves his success, damn him" 😂

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Happy Star Wars Day. I may have shared this before, but I put together this medley five years ago to impress my then-Star Wars obsessed boys. They were not impressed. Still aren't.

P.S. sounds like I had a dead fret or two at the time. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom