• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok Star Wars, I'll give you one last chance. Hoping this one is good.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They really did announce so much stuff a yesterday's investor day. Some of it (Obi-Wan Kenobi miniseries with Hayden Christensen coming back and Deborah Chow directing, Rogue Squadron film by Patty Jenkins) I’m really looking forward to, other things not so much. Not to say I won’t be watching all of it :)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found it interesting that the Andor series appears to be filming more traditionally rather than utilizing the Volume developed for the Mandalorian. I assumed these live action series would be going that direction exclusively in order to both save money and allow for more on set freedom.

I think it still remains to be seen how much people are interested in non-Skywalker Saga stories. Andor and Patty Jenkins’s film may hold that answer. The Mandalorian has, no doubt, been wildly successful for Disney. But this week’s Baby Yoda-free episode really pointed to how much that one character has contributed to the show’s success. Obviously very anecdotal, but my kids hated this last episode specifically because there was no Baby Yoda.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I think it still remains to be seen how much people are interested in non-Skywalker Saga stories.

I'm shocked that people would want such an isolated story that sees the world through the eyes of a single family. It gets boring and ridiculous, imho. I'm still waiting for Disney to take the Wicked approach and show the story from the Empire's certain point of view. That would be original, interesting and challenge the ideas presented in the Star Wars universe.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I'm shocked that people would want such an isolated story that sees the world through the eyes of a single family. It gets boring and ridiculous, imho. I'm still waiting for Disney to take the Wicked approach and show the story from the Empire's certain point of view. That would be original, interesting and challenge the ideas presented in the Star Wars universe.

I agree. But Star Wars is a far reaching franchise with many different types of fans. For example, I could easily see someone saying, “I'm shocked that people would want such an isolated story that sees the world through the eyes of a single medium: film.” However that’s pretty much how I feel. I’m not interested in the stories told in comics, cartoons, books, and video games. I also understand those that want the stories to stay simple without diving into subtext and larger themes. But for me, to stay interesting I need more of that. And while my kids hated the most recent episode of the Mandalorian, I loved it because it did start to show some nuance. I realize the episode hasn’t been out long so I’ll say no more than that.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To me, people not wanting Star Wars properties unrelated to the Skywalkers is very similar to people complaining about The Next Generation not having anything to do with the original Star Trek (except for a cameo in the pilot and couple of feature episodes sprinkled around). While I enjoy The Mandalorian, and I thought Rogue One was good (and Andor probably will be too), I'm more looking forward to The Acolyte, which takes place 100 years earlier and won't tie into anything else than I am about the PT-Clone Wars-Rebels-Andor-R1-OT-Manalorian-Ahsokha-Rangers series of related stories.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I found it interesting that the Andor series appears to be filming more traditionally rather than utilizing the Volume developed for the Mandalorian. I assumed these live action series would be going that direction exclusively in order to both save money and allow for more on set freedom.

As impressive as the volume technology is, especially for creating sweeping landscapes, I think its capacity for replacing sets altogether may have been a tad bit overstated for dramatic effect. For bustling crowd scenes, physical sets will still be necessary so passers-by aren't just walking into walls left and right. I'm sure all the SW shows will use volume sets extensively...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
As impressive as the volume technology is, especially for creating sweeping landscapes, I think its capacity for replacing sets altogether may have been a tad bit overstated for dramatic effect. For bustling crowd scenes, physical sets will still be necessary so passers-by aren't just walking into walls left and right. I'm sure all the SW shows will use volume sets extensively...

Of course. I’m not suggesting it be the only technology or technique used. I’m sure it’s not used exclusively on Mandalorian either. But the sizzle reel for Andor indicated it wasn’t being used at all, which is surprising to me. Perhaps my use of the word “exclusively“ was confusing. I merely meant that they’d use that technology when appropriate as much as possible on all their series.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The announcement from two weeks ago at the investor meeting was exciting, even if it did seem a bit like overkill. (The Babylon Bee, a satirical Christian site that occasionally dabbles in just straight-up geeky humor, joked that Lucasfilm announced 7,562 new Star Wars series that day.)

I get the fact that Marvel has been successful with having a large presence in film and TV, and I also get that The Mandalorian is riding very high for them, so of course Lucasfilm wants to follow in those footsteps. And a lot of the projects do sound promising. That said, I don't want to get to the point where I'm too bored to watch new Star Wars because there's just too much of it. 

And then after the bevy of shows and movies announced at the meeting,
we got one more announcement in the Season 2 finale of The Mandalorian. I thought for sure The Book of Boba Fett had to be a one-off direct-to-streaming movie, or more likely, the umbrella title for the next season arc for The Mandalorian, since it shared the December 2021 release date of Season 3 for that series. But Lucasfilm confirmed Monday via Twitter that it is, in fact, another new series.

So here's the rest of what we've got all far. All of the below is public knowledge announced at the meeting, so spoiler tags probably aren't necessary, but I could see someone seeing something that's more information than they want to know, so I guess I'll do separate spoiler tags just in case (unless the mods tell me otherwise). 

Still with me? Here are the rest of them, in order of likely release, I guess. 

The Bad Batch - Set after Ep. III. Likely to please fans of Clone Wars and Rebels.

Andor - Adventures of the sometimes morally gray Cassian Andor in the days before Rogue One. I don't know how long the producers can prolong a series before Diego Luna (the actor) looks noticeably older than he did in a movie shot five years ago. But if Alan Tudyk is back as the snarky K-2SO, sign me up!

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Ewan McGregor is back as the character in a time sometime before A New Hope. (There's about 20 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. It's now been 15 years since the release of RotS.) McGregor was always good, but Hayden Christensen will be back in some form as Anakin/Vader. I hear that Christensen is good in other things. Will the producers actually be able to redeem the portrayal in this version? I hope so, but I'm skeptical of a rumored duel rematch between the characters. Would Vader really say to Obi-Wan, "When last we met, I was but the learner. Now I am the master" - if they fought more than once in the intervening years since Mustafar?

Rangers of the New Republic - Cara Dune's character heads up her post on Tattooine in the same timeline as The Mandalorian.

Ahsoka - Rosario Dawson returns as the Clone Wars character, presumably in the increasingly busy timeline of The Mandalorian. (A crossover between all the shows has been announced.)

The rest are now listed alphabetically, since I can't guess at timelines:

The Acolyte - Set in the last days of the High Republic (an era that's an upcoming focus of Lucasfilm Publishing).

A Droid Story - C-3PO, R2-D2, and apparently one new character in this animated show. In-universe timeline is uncertain. I'm somewhat of a fan of the '80s Droids cartoon, so I admit I'm rather curious on this one.

Lando - Not clear if Billy Dee Williams and/or Donald Glover have been tapped for this.

Visions - An anime series featuring short cartoons from all over the SW timeline.

Switching over to films, we have Rogue Squadron, again set at an indeterminate place in the universe timeline, but a very specific place in our own timeline. The release date is December 2023, and Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman) is directing, so it sounds very promising.

Moving away from Star Wars, the fifth Indiana Jones movie is still slated for July 2022, with James Mangold (Logan) directing. A Willow series has been announced for Disney+ (I'm intrigued about that). And a potential new franchise will launch with an adaptation of a YA novel, Children of Blood and Bone.

I just did the math, and if all these series produce only 8 episodes a season like Mandalorian, and all aired once a week starting in 2022, that would make 88 episodes of Star Wars in one year. (I could see the possibility that the releases get staggered so they don't overlap, but that would also make it harder for people to keep track of when their favorite show gets a new season.)

The current team has done a lot to inspire confidence (I loved S2 of The Mandalorian, especially the finale). But if I could say one thing to the folks at Lucasfilm, it would be to remind them of the words of Han Solo: "Don't get cocky."

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The big difference for me is going to be format. I really struggle with tv shows. The last TV show that I found myself investing time and focus to was Stranger Things, but I chalk that up to great acting, nostalgia, and a continuing storyline with cliff hangers that made me want to come back to it. Oh and the fact that I could just binge it and watch the whole thing if I wanted to was great as well. The things that have turned me off from Mando are the opposites of most everything I liked about Stranger Things. Mando had more of a linear approach during Season 2 and I hope that the new shows will as well. I also hope it involves more space/movement from locations and longer running times. Episodes really need to be at least 45 minutes to really invest in them and to tell an engaging storyline, imho.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Oh and the fact that I could just binge it and watch the whole thing if I wanted to was great as well.

I think that the practice of releasing a whole season on one day might be dying out. When a streaming service does that, people are all abuzz about the show for a week or so, then they move on. Releasing an episode per week keeps the water cooler conversations about the show going for weeks, which means far better word-of-mouth marketing. I think that streaming services are starting to catch on to this.

Plus, releasing one episode per week means that you can't just subscribe for one month, watch the show and cancel, unless you have the patience to wait until the season is over to do that.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved the all-in-one-drop method at first when it was new, but with so much great stuff on, it's hard to keep up and if I want to be part of any conversation about shows it's hard to commit to binging a whole series in a day or two to keep from being spoiled. And you don't get any of the fun fan theorizing that happens as a season goes on.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I loved the all-in-one-drop method at first when it was new, but with so much great stuff on, it's hard to keep up and if I want to be part of any conversation about shows it's hard to commit to binging a whole series in a day or two to keep from being spoiled. And you don't get any of the fun fan theorizing that happens as a season goes on.

I guess I'm an anti-social viewer and I don't care much for fan theorizing. Too many things irl happening for that ;)

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would think that all the Star Wars series won't get released all at once. We are done with The Mandalorian until next winter. There's lots of time between now & then to cycle several other series. I don't imagine I'll get bored with moving from one story to another.

I kind of like the return to one episode a week. That gives us all time to watch the episode, then do a week's worth of navel gazing over the last one with fellow geeks. You also have days of anticipation wondering what the next story will be.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Who won't be back in what?

The best droid in Star Wars won't be back in the Rogue One prequel series..... At least for a while.
https://thedirect.com/article/star-wars-alan-tudyk-k2so-andor-disney-reverse-decision
K-2SO_Sideshow.png

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a shame, and it's especially frustrating that all the media press from Disney has included Tudyk's name up until this point if they didn't intend to have him. Maybe they changed their minds at the last minute?

Anyway, without K-2SO, my interest in watching Andor drops to practically nil. I know K-2SO's name was never in the title, but learning that he's not in it has just shown to me how tenuous my interest was in the first place. I guess I understand now why people don't want to watch The Mandalorian if Baby Yoda isn't in it, even though I would be fine without him. (I like the little guy just fine, but I can see the possibility for the story to go off in new directions.)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ The linked article says they do intend to have K2 in the show, but not at first, maybe not in the first season. This is the first I've heard of the show being planned for more than one season, but, if they're planning for two or more, it makes sense not to pair Andor with a tall, strong droid we know won't be destroyed/lost/exit the picture until Rogue One from the get-go.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ The linked article says they do intend to have K2 in the show, but not at first, maybe not in the first season. This is the first I've heard of the show being planned for more than one season, but, if they're planning for two or more, it makes sense not to pair Andor with a tall, strong droid we know won't be destroyed/lost/exit the picture until Rogue One from the get-go.

Fair enough. I took the statements in the article to be more hazy -- like, if the show is successful and if it gets more seasons, we might eventually see K2 in the show. But re-reading it, it does sound like there is an eventual plan for the character. 

I guess I was too grumpy at first. I was just looking forward to seeing (or hearing) Alan Tudyk from Firefly in a weekly series again. But there's always a bigger fish...umm, I mean...there are bigger fish to fry in life than this.  :D

Top Bottom