• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW: Shadows of the Old Republic (v2) - AVI Now Available

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FanEdit Information
Type of Fanedit: True Fanedit
Intention With This Edit: This is a single film with a major focus on Obi-Wan before his life as a hermit on Tatooine and a secondary focus of his apprentice Anakin's fall to the Dark Side and rise as Darth Vader.
Original Titles: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
New Title: Star Wars: Shadows of the Old Republic
Original Runtime: 418 minutes (6 hours, 58 minutes)
New Runtime: 147 minutes (2 hours, 27 minutes)
Time Cut: approx. 271 minutes
Software Used: Sony Vegas 7 (video editing), Adobe Photoshop CS2 (image editing), Bahaus Mirage (compositing), Adobe After Effects 6.5 (compositing), Sony Sound Forge 8 (audio editing), Sony DVD Architect 4.5 (DVD authoring)

AVI Release Information
- Resolution: 720x320
- Audio format: 5.1 Dolby Surround
- Language: English

Major Edits/Changes
- Added a new "Star Wars" title crawl
- Cut and trimmed up the lightsaber duels throughout the film to reduce slow moments and increase tension/drama
- Cut and removed various redundant, excessive, childish, or otherwise "stupid" elements from the plot and characters

Episode 1 Cuts/Edits:
- Plot now focuses on Obi-Wan arriving on Naboo with his master Qui-Gon Jinn to aid in the Naboo Rebellion against the Trade Federation
- The Queen Amidala and Padme Amidala are now sisters (in other words, they are not the same character)
- NO YOUNG ANAKIN
- NO JAR JAR BINKS
- No visit to Tatooine or Pod Race
- While the Naboo Rebellion is taking place, the Queen has traveled to the Galactic Senate to remove the Trade Federation from her planet (being aided by Senator Palpatine)

Episode 2 Cuts/Edits:
- The Episode is now divided between 2 subplots:
1. The First story focusing on Obi-Wan investigating Queen Amidala's assassin and discovering the Clone army, Jango Fett, and the Separatist Rebellion
2. The second story focuses on Anakin, the beginning of his relationship with Padme, and the death of his mother
- Obi-Wan has no connection to Anakin Skywalker, nor is he Anakin's master until the beginning of Episode 3
- Anakin arrives on Tatooine only find his mother already dead and buried (no Sand People subplot)
- Owen is now Anakin's younger brother
- Boba Fett is NOT a clone of his father, Jango Fett
- Jango Fett's helmet now has a voice modulator

Episode 3 Cuts/Edits:
- Cut down the opening space battle
- Removed and edited nearly all of the Anakin/Padme reunion sequence (now they just embrace each other, followed by fading out to Anakin's nightmare)
- The subplots of "Jedis not being able to marry" and "Anakin keeping his marriage to Padme is a secret" are cut from the story - it is now known (and acceptable) that Padme is Anakin's wife and that Anakin is her child's father
- The "Jedi spying on Palpatine" subplot has been removed
- Added the deleted "Plot to Destroy the Jedi?" scene back into the film (which replaces a similar scene that occured between Mace and other Jedis)
- Trimmed the "Opera House" scenes to only be about Palpatine telling his story of Darth Plagious to Anakin
- Added the deleted "A Stirring in the Senate" scene back into the film
- Cut and re-edited the "Mace VS Palpatine" duel (along with the following "Anakin's choice" scenes) to remove redundant elements and increase the drama of the sequence
- Re-edited Anakin's encounter with the younglings into the rest of the "Order 66" scenes
- Added additional children screams to the audio during the hologram playback of the Anakin attacking the Jedis
- Completely removed the "Yoda VS Sidious" duel from the film - the final battle is now a single duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin
- Cut and re-edited the "Birth of the Twins/Darth Vader" sequence to remove overtly stupid plot elements
- Removed the scene of Padme naming the second twin Leia

Notes
Originally based off a very rough cut of EP1 and EP2 by jra166, this fanedit was my first time working with the Star Wars Prequels and combined Episodes 1-3 into a single movie film which rewrote the story to have a major focus on Obi-Wan during his life in the Old Republic and a secondary focus on the young Jedi Anakin's fall to the Dark Side and rise as Darth Vader. Initially, I was not at all satisfied with how this edit turned out, which is what led me to work on the films individually and create my own fanedit trilogy of the Prequels instead. Much later on after learning new editing techniques and getting requests from several viewers, I decided to come back to the SOTOR edit and revise it for a V2 release, re-editing the fanedit into a movie about the past of the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi which I am much more satisfied with.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jamiemark said:
Cool. Will there be a DVD version as well??
Yeah, I definitely plan on doing a DVD version, but right now I'm coming across an odd problem with Sony's DVD Architect software, in that if I save a project file and then try to open it again, the software will totally crash my system (which also means that my original Matrix Evolutions DVD project needs to be completely rebuild all over again as well :( )

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some programs use way too much of your computer's resources (CPU %) just to open properly. Try running the program when your computer isn't running other tasks maybe?? :shock:

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks a lot for sharing. Is there no cover art?
If there is none yet, I would liek to create one. Could you please post, what you would like on the back? Is the death of Qui Gon in this edit?

Kolpitz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds good, Jason! Looking forward to the DVD release.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
here is my current take on cover art for this fanedit (open to suggestions):
previewbm7.png

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cover looks quite nice so far. ...eagerly awaiting a DVD :smile:

jra166

Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN,

I'm in the process of downloading now, I'm looking forward to seeing the complete project. I have to say from the preview clips and description, I'm liking how you handled Anakin's Introduction. Also love the sister approach. I'll let you know what I think of the whole thing after viewing.

Hey Boon23, I love the cover art so far!

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, nice cover art Boon! At first glance, I thought it was a "Passion of the Christ" re-edit. LOL! The sepia tone is great, and it's so nice to see something different than the typical poster fare for Star Wars.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks a lot infodroid. Yes, I totally wanted something different. No gold and especially no laser sword. I am so tired of these collages.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jamiemark: I thought that that might've been it at first, but even if DVD Architect (either version 4.0 or version 4.5, doesn't matter which one) is the only program running, trying to open a previously saved project will crash the program and my system. I'm going to try reinstalling the programs or remove one version of the program from Windows to see if that affects the problem or not.

boon: I was going to do a cover for the DVD version, but frankly, I'm loving your design a whole lot better than what I had originally planned. My only thoughts on it:
1. On the cover, I'd like to see Anakin behind Obi-Wan on the left side of the cover (Obi-Wan's right side) and with his back turned towards him (like Anakin's turning away from Obi-Wan and the Jedi Knights)
2. For the edit's opening SW crawl, I used a bluish-silver color for the font - I'm wondering if that might work better for the cover's title on the back?

I'll try and write up a back-cover summary for you later in the day. And yes, Qui-Gon does die in this edit.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. On the cover, I'd like to see Anakin behind Obi-Wan with his back turned towards him (like Anakin's turning away from Obi-Wan and the Jedi)
do you have an image for that?
2. For the edit's opening SW crawl, I used a bluish-silver color for the font - I'm wondering if that might work better for the cover's title on the back?
I will try that out, but I think the additional color might not look good. Currently it is all brown tones (and a little bit of gold).

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
do you have an image for that?
I'm looking for one right now.

boon23 said:
I will try that out, but I think the additional cover might not look good. Currently it is all brown tones (and a little bit of gold).
That's true - I guess you can just leave it as that color.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
boon23 said:
I will try that out, but I think the additional cover might not look good. Currently it is all brown tones (and a little bit of gold).
That's true - I guess you can just leave it as that color.

yeah, i think the addition of the blue would look awkward. I would keep it in the monotone sepia.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
previewbluekc2.png

in blue writing.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points