• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

SW : Episodes 7-9 "Rey Nobody" Sequel Trilogy Edit

If I look back at all the star wars movies from Pt and OT, there is battle at beginning, then slow build up (and other a mini conflict in The middle for big battle at the end.

TFA does this nicely. The issue is that the edit second half has a lot of mini conflicts one after another. Luke unfortunately is going to have to die, but curious if Crait was trimmed down to just Luke vs Kylo and the speeder fight was removed, would anything be lost? I did see one proof of concept that had Luke pulling down the exogal felt with the force and that is how he died. That was pretty cool as a death.

does the yoda scene add anything beyond fan service? None of the new main characters are there which is very non-star wars as well. Just want to fan service Yoda at this point. It’s a decent scene, but just asking myself if it adds anything? It does give space between scenes and sometimes that is enough.

Hmmm, definitely something to ponder.

One thing I have reservations about, with Luke alive when sending Rey to Exogol - No way in hell Luke wouldn't go himself if he knew old Palps was alive (at least not MY Luke LOL). Yeah, he let Snoke run around, but I think Palps would have brought him out of retirement. Thats why I have a problem revealing Palps earlier.

Of course this thinking invites all sorts of new issues LOL. Damn this trilogy! Damn you! (Shakes fist at trilogy)

Wake, please don’t take any suggestions as a slight on your skills or editing. Your edit shows me how close it is to perfection and yet, how far it is.

Ha ha ABSOLUTELY not, in fact, its a compliment really. There are SO many tiny changes that I would never expect an itemized list of what is working.

Its a compliment to my skills that you can see through to the bigger narrative picture without focusing on smaller details. Thats one of the things I learned the hard way about fanediting, its not as easy as simply taking an issue away, as you may end up creating some just as big. Hell, my original screenname was "The Great Subtractor" because my cocky ass thought fixing BvS was as simple as removing the bad parts LOL

But yeah, these big franchise edits get very sticky compared to some of the simpler, straight forward edits like Tron. SW especially, has so many pre-existing perceptions, and then the sequel trilogy was just all over the place. I originally started this edit to simply find a way to streamline all three movies, as if they had a plan to begin with. I am pretty sure TLJ-Positive accomplishes that. Once I find the split point, I'll probably set that bird free.

But even amidst the positive feedback I have received for this edit (v2), some of the very same people who love it will confess to a wish list similar to yours, and I think its a fun experiment to try to make it work now. Lets save the helmet FX and such for later, and try to find the right story beats to see if its even worth it. I know there are better edits out there in this vein, but willing to keep trying!

And all your feedback has only made these cuts better, so thank you for your patience and engagement!

Even for the TLJ edit, I would still think about a split with two crawls. You can use both your names and help transition the stories a bit more.

@revel911

I think i was obsessing too hard with a traditional Star Wars break with the traditional star wars ending theme, while trying to figure a way to keep the audience interested enough to come back for more.. This Frankenstein of an edit doesn't adhere to traditional three act structures already, and I think I was forcing things.

So, after another little break, I was able to look again with fresh perspective, and I think I figured this rubix cube of a puzzle out - but it DOES break some normal conventions of Star Wars... a "TO BE CONTINUED" cliffhanger.

In the TLJ Positive, this scene comes right after the (fixed) Leia Poppins scene, so the emotional weight of Luke agreeing is very heavy.

It also works fine for the Anti-TLJ cut, where this scene comes right after the rebels destroy the dreadnought.

Open to feedback for this approach. I originally had the "TO BE CONTINUED" text in blue but it looks too Star Trek, and I also had some addidtional ominous music for the end credits as well, but the wind alone seemed more "on brand" for this "off-genre" movie break.

Now just working on my Part 2 intros!

Part 2 intros made with no crawl, just quickly jumping back into the action. Its not a traditional movie break and it doesn't feel the need for a full narrative setup.

These four sections are being outputted now for final review!

And I made a new poster for the edit:

o5GBr7d.jpg

Officially releasing this week!

Special thanks firstly to Hal9000, who has been my favorite Sequel Trilogy editor by far.

Also, here on Fanedit.org: Jrzag42, DigModiFicaTion, Malthus, Tiny Bread Mouse, and A BIG THANKS TO ~Revel911~ who really pushed me to make this edit more than conservative. Its so much better for it, and ~Closer2God~ for helping with the audio review!

I also want to list those who helped Hal9000 on his edits:

Restructured Contributors:
NeverarGreat (Visual and audio effects), Sir Ridley (Visual and audio effects), Jackpumpkinhead (Visual effects), Sherman (Cover artwork), MalàStrana (English and French subtitles), Octorox, Smithers, Chris Solo, Ben_danger, That_OT_Ruler, RogueLeader, Kexikus, Bingowings, Darthrush, ImperialFighter, Yuri_Kenobi, Littlev87, Tomo, Cheebo, DominicCobb, TK251, SkywalkerFan01, Rpvee, Scott109, DigMod, DuracellEnergizer, Sougouk, EddieDean, Willrow-Hood, ForceGhostRecon, Jack of All Trades, Vladius, Spiphisser, Marduk666, Chyron8472, HyperDown, Oojason, DougieP, Edezio Enk’or Valorum, Hardcore Legend, JawsTDS, Yotsuya, StarWarsFan Sweden, Valheru_84, KumoNin, SUP3RDeathStar, Jarbear, Bromeo, RogueLeader, AbramPT, Darth_ender, Possessed, YodaFan67, ChainsawAsh, Guilty, Ray_afraid, Anjohan, Tobar, Fishmanlee , Krlozdac, William Gillis (Blogger who voiced the core idea for this project which appeared shortly after the film’s release), Noodle_Finger (fan editor behind a prior TFA edit)

Legendary Contributors:
Poppasketti (FX shots and ideas), DarthRush (FX shot and ideas), Pleasehello (FX shot), Snooker (Fx shot), ChainsawAsh (DTS audio), MalàStrana (English and French subtitles), Natedug (Cover artwork, style mimicking Sherman’s TFA:R artwork), Krlozdac, TiMartyn, NeverarGreat, One69chev, Collipso, BMadden, Drakul, StrafeSawdoffe, TV’s Frink, HerekittykittyX, DominicCobb, Jarbear, LordRorek, Imadethisfortheanticheeseedit, Zachary VIII, OutboundFlight, RogueLeader, Handman, Dr. Krogshöj, Nightstalkerpoet, EddieDean, DZ-330, Nd4spd, ChiefWamsutta, Valheru_84, TK-422, Possessed, CourtlyHades296, AbramPT, CarterStarkiller, Cheebo, Snoke&mirrors, Sir Ridley, Anjohan, Kaweebo, Oojason, TheLostJedi, Littlev87, Dat_SW_Guy, Toastedzen, Adywan, Tobar, Ziggyonice, Arosa1091, Chyron8472, TK251, Bop, Gimpy, LeonardoRamos, Octorox, Jrs81, Bromeo, Iryin01, Noodle_Finger

Ascendent Contributors:
poppasketti (voice, audio and visual FX), jonh (visual FX), skenera (visual FX), DominicCobb (clips provided), Sir Ridley (visual FX), axlanian , krausfadr, RogueLeader (voice and audio work), ChainsawAsh (DTS encode), snooker (visual FX), Burbin , ||FanEditore, nevertellmetheodds, LILLIAN02230 (audio work), Chase Adams, Cinefy (music mockups), sade1212 (video help), idir_hh (video help), Luka Frik (video help), Octorox (video help), mrbenjamino (audio work), bbghost (audio work), MaláStrana (help proofreading French subtitles), 13las, 1amJanus, AaronSW, AbramPT, act on instinct, Adaman Kenobi, adobewan, Anakin Starkiller, AnEyeOut, Axios, babajaga, BadeHistory731, BedeHistory731, BeenByTheDuneSea, Bmadden, Broom Kid, Burbin, Buzz Lightyear, buzzclub, CamSMurph, CarterStarkiller, Clavis, CMMAP, commandercluck, CourtlyHades296, darkshadowspike, DarkSpecter5K, darksteel1335, Darth Giacomo, Darth Muffy, Darth Sadifous, DarthYcey, Dat_SW_Guy, Delpheas, Dendros, Dexter Jettster’s Lab, dgraham414, Dorksyde, double A-ron, drakesepi0I, Drakul, DuracellEnergizer, DZ-330, Ed Slushie, EddieDean, EddyMerkxs, fidodido, FreezingTNT2, GeekForFun, Gimpy, hedgesmfg, hitfan, Hoop28, Humby, HyperDown, HyperDown, Ice, Icecream2448, ilFanEditore, InitAbsolute, Jackpumpkinhead, JakeRyan17, Jamesleaf, Jar Jar Bricks, jarbear, Jaws123DRevenge, jeangreyforever, jkimm, JKMaxx, Johannus, JonMalder, jordan_winter, Josanael, jrs81, JurassicNinja, kewlfish, Keysarsoze001, kingofmonsters, Knight of Kalee, krlozdac, Krusfadr, KumoNin, LeperMessiah117, LesPaul32, Lesser, Lifeincontext, Lightsideuser, Llirael Moroth, macesmajored, MaestroDavros, majoras_wrath, Masquerade Overture, MasterSolo, MDDBatman, medioCORE, Molten, monsterchief, moondear, moralcrocodile, moripro2311, mrsmith, natm, Neerb, NeverarGreat, nevertellmetheodds, NFBisms, nicko1981, nightstalkerpoet, nl0428, Ocrop27, omnimuffin, oojason, oviniboy, Paden, Panakin, Papa’s_rod, phineasbg, pleasehello, PodracingThisis91, potatoechip, regularjoe, Rh_2002, rocknroll41, schizopolis23, Schmendrick, sgroov90, Sh0ckwa73, ShadowCloudX, Siliconmaster482, SilverKey, Sir Ridley, SkeletonPack, SkywalkerArts, SleepyBear, sloppy_rig, smpearce1981, SomethingStarWarsRelated, specialk2121, StarkillerAG, stein, stevepaynter, Switchitup, szopman, Tammer5, Terrybartoner, TheAlaskanSandman, thebluefrog, TK-422, TK42-WAN, Tobar, Toblerone, Vidmaster, xxtelecine 7xx, yic17, yotsuya, ZaneFlare92

Thank you for making such a great edit.

Thank YOU for taking the time to give such in depth feedback, and watching I don't know how many earlier versions! This was definitely a team effort Revel911!

I'm curious, how were you able to establish how the gang knew to go to Endor from the start? Granted I can't remember why they went to Pasaana in the first place either lmao. What a forgettable movie.

I'm curious, how were you able to establish how the gang knew to go to Endor from the start? Granted I can't remember why they went to Pasaana in the first place either lmao. What a forgettable movie.
I used the shots of Rey looking at the wayfinder in Luke's books, and then trimmed her conversation with Leia to simply that that she must find it, bypassing the whole "Luke was looking for it" macguffin chase with the dagger. Basically that the wayfinder is was something Luke noted already in the books and Rey had already studied it, but was only important when the Exogol location was mentioned by Poe to the larger group.

I used the shots of Rey looking at the wayfinder in Luke's books, and then trimmed her conversation with Leia to simply that that she must find it, bypassing the whole "Luke was looking for it" macguffin chase with the dagger. Basically that the wayfinder is was something Luke noted already in the books and Rey had already studied it, but was only important when the Exogol location was mentioned by Poe to the larger group.
Ah interesting, excited to see how that flows ;)

LOL just read this article that came out today:

J.J. Abrams Reflects on 'Star Wars' and When It's Critical to Have a Plan

But ultimately, the filmmaker said that he’s “learned the hard way” that it’s better to have a plan and be willing or able to change it than not have one at all:​
“You just never really know, but having a plan I have learned – in some cases the hard way – is the most critical thing, because otherwise you don’t know what you’re setting up. You don’t know what to emphasize. Because if you don’t know the inevitable of the story, you’re just as good as your last sequence or effect or joke or whatever, but you want to be leading to something inevitable.”​

No shit. This guy has never planned any if his projects and it shows.

No shit. This guy has never planned any if his projects and it shows.

That whole article was a side jab at Kathleen Kennedy. I believe there was a plan, that Johnson threw off. That isn't on Johnson, but on Kennedy for not keeping in check.

After a quite long leave of absence, I decided to take a look at the current threads in the Fanedits forums this is the first I find and I have to say I'm quite interested to watch this project.

Woo hoo! Thank you @ajsimmo for my official review for this edit!! So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for such kind words!!

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed the "Anti-TLJ" cut that was also in the link you got - it removes the Canto Bight and Space Chase plotlines, and it might be just what you're looking for the Sequel Trilogy!

Woo hoo! Thank you @ajsimmo for my official review for this edit!! So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for such kind words!!

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed the "Anti-TLJ" cut that was also in the link you got - it removes the Canto Bight and Space Chase plotlines, and it might be just what you're looking for the Sequel Trilogy!
Oooooo, I missed that. I'll go and take a look. Thank you for the heads up.

That whole article was a side jab at Kathleen Kennedy. I believe there was a plan, that Johnson threw off. That isn't on Johnson, but on Kennedy for not keeping in check.
That's very wrong though, Johnson collaborated with the story group more than JJ did on either movie. I think JJ had ideas of where he wanted to take the story, but never really told the people who were goin to work on the other movies, and didn't make it clear in his own film. And this allowed Rian to pick up different pieces than I guess JJ might have intended. After Rian made his story and JJ had to continue it, he ended up kind of doing a "ok, but actually.." instead of a "yes, and.." style of writing in many instances. Anyway, interesting to see what this editor has cooked up from it all :D

Thanks @anakin5kywalker for the honest review! I got credit for the editing but the fault lies (mostly) in the source material for you, completely understandable!

I wish you had watched the Anti-TLJ Cut as it might have helped remove the portions you hated - not sure it would change your mind but it would at least remove stuff ya hated.

I knew this edit would have advocates for both since TLJ is so polarizing. I wonder I I should release the Anti-TLJ Cut separately for better clarity, as this is the second review wishing they watched the other version.

Back
Top Bottom