• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

SW Ep II: Attack of the Ridiculousness (New 14th Month Anniversary DVD Now Available)

Highlight for me was seeing Darth Maul's scooter still going round Tatooine. Also, Gob Bluth as Threepio and the Naboo Picnic Monty Python reference were awesome. When Yoda says "DUKE DOOKU" in a super serious tone before the final duel I nearly fell off my couch with laughter. One criticism would be that the use of 'Final Countdown' wasn't extended to the entire edit! Very clever timing it to the mine explosions!

The penultimate shot of a huge fascistic parade ground filled with thousands of Tommy Wiseaus may haunt me to my grave.

Even better than TRM. Roll on ROTR

Great work Frink.

Thanks [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION] ! If you could include your review on IFDb that would be great :)

TV's Frink said:
Thanks TM2YC ! If you could include your review on IFDb that would be great :)

images

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

My review from IFDB, No offense intended to anyone:

I hate being that guy, but I just don't care for this one. I know that a tremendous amount of work was put into this by several of the folks here at FE and I do appreciate the cleverness. You people do really have some mad skilz.

I just didn't find myself enjoying it much. I had previously tried the first one and felt the same way. That's not to say I didn't get a chuckle here and there. The montage surrounding the Padme/Anakin hookup had me chuckling a bit and I liked some of the choices made for the voices. (3PO, Jar Jar). Also the song choices were good. (Shaft, I think I'm a clone now)

I certainly would encourage everyone to give it a try. It may just hit you right square in the funny bone. As for me, I'm gonna call 1800-DEAL-WITH-IT.

No worries, thanks for the review. Always nice to hear which parts people liked, even when they didn't care for it overall.

Thank you for the detailed review seciors! I have to say, you've been doing a great job reviewing edits. You always put a lot of thought and effort into your reviews and it's very much appreciated.

seciors said:
One minor problem I had with some added audio was the new voice of Jango; it was noticeably hard to hear as compared to other voices, and the quality seemed to be a bit muffled. Perhaps Frink did the best he could with whatever the source was for this, but it was not at the same level of quality as all the rest of the audio.

The new voice is Johnny from The Room. Did you have problems with all his dialogue or just when he had his helmet on? With his helmet off I used the untouched audio from The Room, so (weird accent aside) there shouldn't have been a problem with the quality. With his helmet on, I purposely degraded the original audio to make it more realistic. I tried to not push it too far, but if you aren't familiar with the movie it might be hard to understand what he's saying.

seciors said:
I also think I had some trouble due to the feeling that I was missing a lot of the editor's intent due to jokes I just didn't understand, perhaps because they refer to material I'm just not familiar with.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is one of the inspirations for these edits, and in particular this idea:
http://www.toledofreepress.com/2011/01/05/mcginnis-‘the-right-people-will-get-this’/

seciors said:
I also appreciated that Frink had a heavier hand when cutting things out this time around, so that the runtime was shorter than TRM (even with the source movie being a bit longer).

I'm glad you felt that way. I did try to go a little shorter this time based on feedback from TRM.

seciors said:
I also liked the "FF" effect used during one of the scenes, though I wish it had been used either more, or in a better place (as opposed to an already boring deleted scene).

But where better to use it than a boring deleted scene? ;)

seciors said:
My one suggestion would be that perhaps EVERYTHING doesn't have to be funny, and if something can't work (especially with regards to a technical aspect -- and more specifically, the audio), I think it would make the edit stronger to just not include it; there is so much great stuff already, for me, there really was no need for some of the running audio-based jokes such as Obi-Wan calling himself Obi-Wan all the time, or Padme saying she is a senator randomly. The problem (for me) is that these replaced voices just don't "fit." And that (for me) makes the edit feel less professional, even though there are countless (see above) examples of extremely well done comedic sequences that DO come off as very professionally done. Maybe that would create an edit that would only be 60 minutes long. But would that be bad if it was 60 minutes of comedic gold?

We know that humor is subjective, but it's always very interesting to me when I confront that fact head-on. The Obi third-person and Padme senator jokes are often referenced by some people as great bits. But of course you loved some stuff that other people didn't care for...ultimately I just have to do what feels best (and funniest) to me and let the chips fall where they may. Regarding the voices that don't fit, you might be surprised at how many things I try out and ultimately discard because of audio issues. Usually it's when the dialogue I've created is just not understandable, but sometimes I do reject ideas because the audio sounds so rough. Having said that, sometimes when a single word I've cut in is different in inflection than the rest of the sentence, it actually make me laugh more.

As I said in that version 2 thread that Gatos made, I might consider revisiting these edits someday to shorten them up. Maybe a "purist" version. ;)

Again, thank you so much for the review. :)

TV's Frink said:
Thank you for the detailed review seciors! I have to say, you've been doing a great job reviewing edits. You always put a lot of thought and effort into your reviews and it's very much appreciated.
You are very welcome Frink!

I feel like editors are owed a detailed review given the amount of work they put into an edit. But that's just my own personal decision, I respect people who approach reviews in other ways and also I know (usually) even a short review is better than no review at all!

I must admit though it does pain me to add a review to an edit when I my overall rating is lower than the average. I hope in these cases the editor can focus on the positive things I mention (which is why I do feel inclined to go into detail). I'm pretty sure you fall into this camp, but it is something that still bothers me, perhaps given my newness to reviewing on this site.

The new voice is Johnny from The Room. Did you have problems with all his dialogue or just when he had his helmet on? With his helmet off I used the untouched audio from The Room, so (weird accent aside) there shouldn't have been a problem with the quality. With his helmet on, I purposely degraded the original audio to make it more realistic. I tried to not push it too far, but if you aren't familiar with the movie it might be hard to understand what he's saying.
Let me preface my comments by saying I was listening via headphones on my computer and thus I was experiencing a stereo downmix of your surround sound.

With the helmet on, it was a little harder for me to hear, and I do get why you would do that. Without the helmet or with it on, I just felt the audio itself had a different quality to it as compared to the rest of the dialog - like it had less expansiveness to it, or was from a mono source...hard to explain, I only even brought it up because it was used so often, given the character's prominence in the edit. I was ok with the fact that I couldn't understand some lines due to the accent, as that happens in real movies to me sometimes. ;-)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is one of the inspirations for these edits, and in particular this idea:
http://www.toledofreepress.com/2011/01/05/mcginnis-‘the-right-people-will-get-this’/
I heartily approve of the idea expressed in that article and in fact I think it applies to many fan edits. To me, those are the best ones actually, since one is staying true to a specific vision and artistic/creative goal. Hopefully it came across in my review that even though I was one of those that fell on the side of "not getting" more of the jokes this time around, I still recognized your artistic/creative approach, and acknowledged respect for it (and if not, please let this serve as that acknowledgement!)

But where better to use it than a boring deleted scene? ;)
Touché. :)

We know that humor is subjective, but it's always very interesting to me when I confront that fact head-on. The Obi third-person and Padme senator jokes are often referenced by some people as great bits. But of course you loved some stuff that other people didn't care for...ultimately I just have to do what feels best (and funniest) to me and let the chips fall where they may. Regarding the voices that don't fit, you might be surprised at how many things I try out and ultimately discard because of audio issues. Usually it's when the dialogue I've created is just not understandable, but sometimes I do reject ideas because the audio sounds so rough. Having said that, sometimes when a single word I've cut in is different in inflection than the rest of the sentence, it actually make me laugh more.
Yes, I totally am on board with everything you said! And I do think you ultimately HAVE TO "do what feels funniest (and best) to [you]" as that is part of the artistic process, whether you are making a fan edit, a movie, or any artistic creation. The more bold you are, the more divided your reception will usually be (except in very rare cases).

My 12 yr old daughter is very into art, and I tell her how there will always be people who won't like your work, but you must always be true to your own vision, and not let negative reviews or opinions get you down. I tell her it is much better to get a strong reaction than none at all, or an "it was ok" type of response. Because that means you have touched upon a person's emotions, and you have affected them in some way...which is the goal of art, I think! I used this as a way of helping me getting through some of the many pages (you know the ones) of my work in progress thread, in fact! (And using it as an example for my daughter.) and I think I will need to take that advice myself when my current edit is released!

Anyway, this thread is about your work, but I do think the same principle applies to it. Which is a Good Thing, in my opinion!

As I said in that version 2 thread that Gatos made, I might consider revisiting these edits someday to shorten them up. Maybe a "purist" version. ;)
Well, you know I am on board with that, but in the end, I support whatever decision you make, as any work you decide to invest your valuable time on should be enjoyable for you. so I also understand if you decide not to do this. Your work already has pleased many people!

Your edit entertained me and I don't regret watching it; maybe that doesn't sound like high praise, but really it is considering my opinion of the source material!

Again, thank you so much for the review. :)

You are welcome again, and thank you again for your gracious and thoughtful reply to it! And I am looking forward to your Episode III! :)

TV's Frink said:

i iz awaiting the book cut.

Well, you never know what a long detailed review of this edit will get you...

Thank you [MENTION=11055]QuickCut[/MENTION] for the review :)

Happy New Year!

Rebue, posted on iF*#%DB:

Oh, hai.

Frink has indeed grown indeedishly powerful, as he turns yet another Star Wars prequel into richer, creamier, higher-quality material, i.e., into comedy. The humor comes at the viewier from every which way—footage from elsewhere, gonzo subtitles, overly dramatic transitions, courtesy fast-forwarding done without the viewer's needing to lift a finger—but the audio gags (and there's a mind-boggling number of them) notably take on more epic. . . epically. . . epically highish. . . fuck it, indeedish epicnish compared to the first Ridiculous outing, as the audio transitions are massively smoover.

A strong, clear vision of what a Star Wars prequel should be. Respectful of film history, including Spinal Tap. Endlessly absurd if you play it on a loop.

Enjoyjoy: 9 rising obelisks.

Thanks, super sound jokester!

I'm in LA on business, sitting in a brewpub waiting for dinner, and Call Me Maybe just came on. Something is clearly wrong with me to think of this place immediately.

Maybe you'd stop thinking of this place if you'd start listening to good music. *shrug*

Most of my music would like a word with you.

But does anyone know what you love to listen to beyond Rebecca Black and um...Rebecca Black? And the nyan cat thing? Haha.

(but you did get "In Memory of the Mega Drive," so it's "all good" as the kids say/said)

Thank you to matrixgrindhouse for the review, especially this part...

There is, a significant problem with the frame rate on the DVD version, however. It appears to have been rendered as 30 frame per second progressive video. Normally, a primarily 24p feature film sourced edit such as this would have been rendered as a 30 frame per second, 60 field per second interlaced format flagged as 24p. That would have resulted in the standard 3:2 pulldown effect. The way this edit has been rendered results in uneven frame repeats, which is visually jarring. It would also interfere with attempts to IVTC the material for viewing on a 120hz display with 1:1 frame repeats. I suspect any attempts to speed it up for a PAL display would also be problematic. If you have no idea what any of this paragraph means, you'll probably not notice any sort of visual flaws whatsoever. But if you have an overly critical eye for such details such as myself, it's going to probably gnaw at you a little. It isn't unwatchable by any means, but this issue can be corrected quite easily with a re-render.

As it turns out, the culprit was DVD Architect. Since I don't have the Pro version, it insists on recompressing video because it doesn't support 24p video. Fortunately, I still had my original encoded file, and Captain Khajiit showed me a way (outside of Architect) to replace the recompressed video with the original encoded video.

There is a new DVD now available on info. It includes the fixed framerate version of the main movie, an extra 2-minute bonus feature (a split-screen comparison of the diner scenes from AOTR and Seinfeld), and a snazzy new title ("14th Month Anniversary Edition") on the main menu.

Unfortunately the download link on info also includes an extremely NSFW picture along with the dlc. I did not upload that and have asked for it to be removed.

Big thanks to matrixgrindhouse, Captain Khajiit, and also ThrowgnCpr for valuable input and feedback. :)

TV's Frink said:
... the download link on info also includes an extremely NSFW picture...

Ooh that should increase your downloads! brb...

Eh, I wouldn't say that's "extremely" NSFW. It's art.

Back
Top Bottom