• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman's Around (Superman Returns Edit)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
superman-always-around-1.jpg

Cranked this one out over the course of the week. Superman Returns was one of the earliest edits I ever attempted in my cruder amateur days, and now with more experience and a burst of inspiration, I've come up with what I hope is a worthwhile edit that helps make the movie more of a highlight reel for the man of steel and what he stands for than some dreary deconstruction

Changes include
-Pre-titles sequence using the scene where Lex raids the fortress
-Scenes rearranged, which includes inserting the last scene of the movie into a much earlier point, meaning Clark is aware right from the outset that Jason is his son. Instead of learning who he is on the boat, we learn it from Clark as he watches Jason in bed at Lois' home (yes, I retained Stalkerman for narrative purposes), and Lois and Kal's first meeting is after he visits Jason's bedroom.

-Superman's return to public service occurs with taking out the bank robber

-Lois' bitchier moments trimmed and lessened so she comes off as more emotionally conflicted...she's not mad at Superman, just dissapointed, and often wrestles with publishing a new piece about why the world needs him, it was important to place the scene where she can't type up that piece before she meets Clark outside her home to demonstrate how conflicted she is on her opinion.

-Lois and Richard laughing at Clark cut

-Lex reading the paper skips over the Superman headline for reasons that'll become clear as you read this cut list

-Clark and Lois' rooftop meeting trimmed so the tension is lessened, at least until the moment they almost kiss. Lois is accepting of Clarks' presence and they go for a flyby.

-Clark's conversation with Martha moved along to just before he heads over to the Fortress to find the crystals missing

-Film proceeds as normal until Clark is hospitalised. Lois visiting him cut because...

-After Clark awakens, we cut to the new ending...the shuttle rescue

-Flyby over the earth trimmed significantly to properly synchronise with the music after Clark takes off from the stadium. Lois fainting cut.

Trailer

password: fanedit

Sample

password: fanedit​

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! You’ve really taken a whole new angle to this movie. I’m really digging the cutlist. One of the things I always had a problem with when it comes to this movie (besides the usual stuff with the script, stalkerman, bad casting for Lois), was how REALLY uncomfortable I felt when the bad guys were beating the crap out of Superman. It just felt really cruel and heartbreaking for a colorful superhero movie.

Back on point though, excellent sounding approach! I hope to check it out at some point soon! Congrats on cranking it out so quickly!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Wow! You’ve really taken a whole new angle to this movie. I’m really digging the cutlist. One of the things I always had a problem with when it comes to this movie (besides the usual stuff with the script, stalkerman, bad casting for Lois), was how REALLY uncomfortable I felt when the bad guys were beating the crap out of Superman. It just felt really cruel and heartbreaking for a colorful superhero movie.

Back on point though, excellent sounding approach! I hope to check it out at some point soon! Congrats on cranking it out so quickly!

Thanks, it's amazing how easily you can shuffle certain scenes of the movie around and somehow not lose any coherence, and with a couple of trims here and there, you can succeeded in making Lois much more likeable...and feel more human.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will see about uploading this to vimeo next week

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Come on guys, I wrote the IFDB listing for this a week ago...

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Full version is up on google drive. PM me for it, and if you do see it, leave a review.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Special thanks to @"Son of Suns"  for the review. I rarely get them for my edits for some reason, so I appreciate you taking the time to critique it.

I understand the narrative was a bit wobbly to you, such as Superman being already on everyone's minds before he showed up, I found that to be a typical Hollywood trick from the movies and programmes I grew up watching...where someone's just conveniently being discussed right before they impact their lives again. It was a love letter to eras like that.

The blackout was supposed to have been represented by the experiment Lex conducted on the model train set, and Clark explaining that he was exploring Krypton was meant to serve as his excuse for why he was gone. I'm sorry that didn't seem as clear as I thought I'd made it. Perhaps I should have used the return to Krypton scene in this.

I'm glad you appreciated the ending with the shuttle/plane. It's the most spectacular sequence in the movie and it has minimal amount to cut from it to make it work narratively as a conclusion.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Zarius,

Thanks so much for the reply! Glad to hear you appreciated the review. I almost didn't leave one as I didn't want my critiques to keep anyone else from watching it. I really did enjoy it. You set out to do some bold things with the narrative, and to be fair, some things like the first scene with Lois and Clark feeling like more of a goodbye than a hello can't be helped since you only have the footage that you have. If it was important to you to establish that Clark knew that Jason was his son from the beginning, then that's kind of all you had to work with.

I get what you're saying about Superman being discussed right before showing up again. It makes sense what you were going for.

Having seen the theatrical release, I know that the blackout had to do with Lex's experiment on the model train set, but it's not shown that it impacted anything else, so it was confusing. Another edit I watched also moved the plane rescue but was still able to show the blackout (TVs went off in the bar with Clark and Jimmy, et cetera). Not sure if this is something you'd ever want to revisit, but if you ever were to make a second version of this edit, I'd definitely consider adding in a little more footage there to show that Lex's experiment caused a blackout elsewhere as well. Just a thought.

Where did Clark explain that he was exploring Krypton again? In the theatrical release, he discusses it with Lois on the rooftop before their flight, but that was absent from your edit.

Someday I hope to teach myself this craft and put together my own Superman Returns fanedit. If and when that time comes, I would love to hear your thoughts on my take as well. :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Son of Suns said:
Hi Zarius,

Thanks so much for the reply! Glad to hear you appreciated the review. I almost didn't leave one as I didn't want my critiques to keep anyone else from watching it. I really did enjoy it. You set out to do some bold things with the narrative, and to be fair, some things like the first scene with Lois and Clark feeling like more of a goodbye than a hello can't be helped since you only have the footage that you have. If it was important to you to establish that Clark knew that Jason was his son from the beginning, then that's kind of all you had to work with.

I get what you're saying about Superman being discussed right before showing up again. It makes sense what you were going for.

Having seen the theatrical release, I know that the blackout had to do with Lex's experiment on the model train set, but it's not shown that it impacted anything else, so it was confusing. Another edit I watched also moved the plane rescue but was still able to show the blackout (TVs went off in the bar with Clark and Jimmy, et cetera). Not sure if this is something you'd ever want to revisit, but if you ever were to make a second version of this edit, I'd definitely consider adding in a little more footage there to show that Lex's experiment caused a blackout elsewhere as well. Just a thought.

Where did Clark explain that he was exploring Krypton again? In the theatrical release, he discusses it with Lois on the rooftop before their flight, but that was absent from your edit.

Someday I hope to teach myself this craft and put together my own Superman Returns fanedit. If and when that time comes, I would love to hear your thoughts on my take as well. :)

The bit where Clark says to Martha the planet was a "graveyard", Martha even says "your home" to emphasise what he meant. I probably should have added more.

We all encourage critique and commentary on this site to help us grow as editors/storytellers, if you have something to say, always contribute something, and I'm glad you did here.

I believe the edit you're referring to with the plane/shuttle and the blackout was Avid4D's edit, which I've also seen and it played a big part in my decision making with this edit, it told me it was alright to position the rescue scene elsewhere without mucking too much continuity up. ;)

Hey, I'd love to check an edit out if you can make one, 'least I can do for the kind words and recommendation you gave mine, and I'm sure with your eye for detail and strong narrative tissue it'd be a fine little project.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
The bit where Clark says to Martha the planet was a "graveyard", Martha even says "your home" to emphasise what he meant. I probably should have added more.

We all encourage critique and commentary on this site to help us grow as editors/storytellers, if you have something to say, always contribute something, and I'm glad you did here.

I believe the edit you're referring to with the plane/shuttle and the blackout was Avid4D's edit, which I've also seen and it played a big part in my decision making with this edit, it told me it was alright to position the rescue scene elsewhere without mucking too much continuity up. ;)

Hey, I'd love to check an edit out if you can make one, 'least I can do for the kind words and recommendation you gave mine, and I'm sure with your eye for detail and strong narrative tissue it'd be a fine little project.

Right, yeah, that was mentioned in Martha and Clark's conversation. I feel like it should be explained at least to Lois too at some point, but I'm not sure if there's a good way to do that if you don't want to keep their rooftop interview.

Yes, I was referring to Avid4D's edit. Taking out Jason entirely made for a little messiness, but overall, I loved that approach. However, he also had to remove all of the stuff at the farm to keep The Superman Returns in line with what happened in The Superman of Krypton, so I felt like that detracted from the character development quite a bit. But a really fun and innovative edit overall. I've enjoyed watching various fanedits of this movie specifically because everyone tackles the narrative in such different ways.

Thanks! I'll be sure to let you know if I ever end up making an edit of this. :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I accidentally listed this under "DC Expanded Universe" rather than the general "Superman" category, so if you find the IFDB entry is missing for a bit, it's because I've edited the entry to reflect the correct category

Top Bottom