• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman: Up, Up and Away Edition

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah ok, cool. TBH I've never really had a problem with that scene, but I thought I'd throw out an idea anyway. I've always felt the scene helps solidify the love aspect of the 2 films, but w/e.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
From Ed's earlier workprint, I can confirm that he got rid of "Can You Read My Mind" in a perfect, seamless way.

Excellent news... must say I'm very excited at the prospect of this edit. Superman is one of my favourite superhero movies ever, but it could still benefit from a few trims here and there. Your "change" list looks awesome to me :)

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Little update........

Seriously very close to finishing this up. Wanted to get some feedback from my cut of the helicopter sequence.

I tried to lessen the time it took for Lois' hat to fall to the ground while also speed up how long it takes for Clark to change into Superman. Thoughts? How is the sound of the shirt rip? (I know Bob mentioned it needed work). Any suggestions?

[video=youtube_share;i_DOonmZgqU]

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to bump this. I was just hoping for some feedback.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
--What if you cut the crowd/street shot from 1:09 to 1:13???
--The shirt rip still does not quite sound right to me... maybe the tear sound effect should start lower and go louder as he rips it?
--Not sure on the cut from the rip back to the helicopter, the conflicting change in the soundtrack music? Or is it a case of having seen the original too many times?

Hopefully others with a less biased eye than mine will chime in. :)

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Sorry to bump this. I was just hoping for some feedback.

I think it works, but I have to admit I like that original scene, where a bystander compliments Superman on his outfit. Yeah, cheesy, but I like it.

Yeah, bionicbob is right, something is off with the shirt-rip-sound.

WyndorfDave

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with the shirt sound being off. Perhaps find a less harsh ripping sound,then maybe lessen its volume in the mix. IMHO I would also lose one of Lois's screams of "help" after the helicoptor door swings open.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, after getting a chance to see the movie on the big screen yesterday, I've had a change of heart about a couple things.

I realized that the dialogue Kal-El listens to during his voyage to Earth is almost identical to what Jor-El tells him in fortress over the course of 12 years. Since I cut all dialogue from the voyage to Earth, I decided to leave the whole fortress scene in tacked.

The helicopter scene I decided to leave mostly untouched. I hate hate hate the pimp, so he is gone. There really wasn't a clean way to cut the scene when you know it so well and the music is so prominent. After the shirt rip, we go back to Lois about to fall and then Superman flies in. No revolving door change.

Seeing it in a movie theater made me really look at it in such a different light. This movie is a true classic. A few little tweaks here and there and I'm happy with it. The facepalm moments for me were always the running beside the train, the pimp and the turning the world back. All are gone as is some issues of pacing for me.

This movie has its flaws, but what it has in flaws it makes up for with a lot of heart.

I'm offering up one more final preview before I release it (because I'm never fully confident in my work). PM if interested.

What I'm hoping to do is create a cut of Superman the Movie that I am proud enough of to share with my own future kids. I'm thinking of referring to this edit as the Legacy cut.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's what I get for using my Ipad to post and forgetting to proofread some of the auto corrects.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is the footage of Lois' hat sped up? It's still only a hat, not a brick. It will take time to fall down from such a height.
Everything else looks okay, bar the mentioned shirt rip.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Is the footage of Lois' hat sped up? It's still only a hat, not a brick. It will take time to fall down from such a height.
Everything else looks okay, bar the mentioned shirt rip.

No I didn't speed up any footage. All I really did was move around and/or cut out a lot of the street scenes (film crews, police, ambulances all pulling up).

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just officially released! PM me for links!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on finishing! Would you now like to have this thread moved to the Fanfix section, or rather have it archived and create a fresh one there?

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you don't mind moving it, that would be great! Thanks!

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Goddamn_131e29_2792007.jpg

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got done watching this. Really tight stuff, so many little details in this edit make the whole presentation stand out. So many nonsensical parts of the film being trimmed out made for a very pleasing experiance, and it was just so darn easy to end the film the way you did with no nonsensical time twisiting. The removal of the sequel hook storytelling with the villains also managed to ground the story of the opening portions, putting all the focus on Jor-El and his plight for survival, which fits his character in the comics more sincerly. Steller work on this one man

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you very much! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Please if you get a chance leave a review for my database page.

Top Bottom