• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman - The Richard Donner Vision

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After almost two years I have just finished my Superman Project, is a compelling vision of what Richard Donner had in mind when he was creating the Superman Movies. I always had an idea on what if Richard Donner was allowed to complete his version of the Superman Story, and when I watched an interview with Richard Donner saying that the end of "Superman I" was changed with the end of "Superman II", then I had an idea, to create a fan edit with both Superman Movies together as a single motion picture with the original end.

I will list some of the changes:

-New beginning with Zod, Ursa and Non at Krypton breaking the red crystal. Superman II -RL.
-Krypton destruction reconstructed showing Zod, Ursa and Non watching the destruction of Krypton. Superman II - RD.
-"Praxis" effect added to the explosion of Krypton.
-New effects of Kay-El traveling through space.
-Feed the babies scenes added. Superman I - Deleted Scenes.
-Nuclear misiles scenes reconstructed showing Zod, Ursa and Non heading to earth. Superman II -RD.
-Lois is not dying and Superman is able to save her.
-Added the deleted scene when Lex tries to kill Miss Teschmacher.
-Intermission added.
-Added a deleted scene with Lex and Miss Teschmacher on the snow bike. Superman II - RD.
-Jor-El scene with Lex Luthor recolored, added some extras. Superman II - RD.
-Added a deleted scene with Lex and Miss Teschmacher on the snow bike when Lex realizes that the three supervillains are on earth. Superman II - RD.
-Added the Pisa scene from Superman III to this edit according the Superman II script.
-Zod, Ursa and Non are no longer using the fingers with powers. Superman II - RL and RD.
-Improved fx of the ray vision.
-Bullet hits added on the attack of the White House. Superman II - RL and RD.
-Clark returns to the Fortress of Solitude scene darkened and altered. Superman II- RD.
-Added a scene when the three supervillains and Lex Luthor try to enter the Fortress of Solitude.
-Again the bad guys are not using their fingers. Superman II - RL.
-Added a scene with the bad guys and Lex being arrested. Superman II- RD.
-Complete new "Turning Back Time" ending.
-Jimmy Olsen brand new camera scene added. Superman II - RD.
-Superman restoring the Pisa Tower from Superman III added to this edit.
-Color grading for some scenes.
-Added new Special Effects to some scenes.

The fan edit is in HD and 5.1 surround.

Last edited:

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Fan Edit of Superman I and II as a single motion picture is still pending to approve. But here is the link to the trailer:

In the following days I will post a video with the color correction comparison.

Best Regards,

Fran Garcia

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged. Please do not make multiple threads for the same project.

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I promised here is the link for the Color Correction Comparison:

Thanks again to ThrowgnCpr for the explanation, the link is updated, and now is Color Grading.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure that is "color correction" but the grading you have applied works well in some shots, and not so well in others. The field scene looks quite nice, while other shots are over-saturated (Niagara Falls appears to have a strange algal bloom...). The jungle scene is a bit heavy handed too.

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In Spanish, the FCPX tool is called Corrección de color, this tool is also called in English Color Correction or Color Grading, both are valid, so is a Color correction.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a matter of semantics, and certainly there are issues with translation, but "correction" implies that there was something wrong with the coloration and you are attempting to repair or restore it. That isn't the case here. Faneditors often claim "color-correction" on an edit, when they are applying drastic color grading. Nothing was "wrong" with the original footage, as per the director or photographer's intent, but in these cases it doesn't align with the goals of the faneditor. I do wish that we as a group would move away from the term except in instances where it is truly applicable (e.g., restoring a graded blu-ray release to the original color timing of the theatrical release).

As for your video comparison, my comments on the color stand. Some shots look great, while others are saturated too far. Color adjustments are very difficult to get just right across an entire film.

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you ThrowgnCpr for the explanation. I will bear that in mind in the future.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This has been submitted to the Academy for review. Please be patient as their is backlog, we'll get to previewing it as soon as possible. Thanks.

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello,

This is the link for the new trailer of my fan edit.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Not sure that is "color correction" but the grading you have applied works well in some shots, and not so well in others. The field scene looks quite nice, while other shots are over-saturated (Niagara Falls appears to have a strange algal bloom...). The jungle scene is a bit heavy handed too.

Not only that but the scene with a wounded Kal-El in the Fortress is DAAAAAARK, and I don't mean that thematically...

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

Not only that but the scene with a wounded Kal-El in the Fortress is DAAAAAARK, and I don't mean that thematically...

In my humble opinion, that scene must be DARK, the Fortress of Solitude is dead, I think that Thau dropped the ball on that scenes.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fran_Garcia said:
Kal-El said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

In my humble opinion, that scene must be DARK, the Fortress of Solitude is dead, I think that Thau dropped the ball on that scenes.

Well, yes, but you can easily make it darker without making it hard to see anything at all. There are tutorials on how to make color grading appear to make a room look darker, rather than just lowering levels and making the whole screen go black :) Personally, I'd mask out Kal-El, and drop saturation on everything else, so it seems as if The Fortress 'bled out', if you get my point? If someone dies, their body temperature drops, they go cold, and they look more grey/blue in skin tone overall. I'd do the same thing with The Fortress. Kal-El is still very much alive, but The Fortress isn't, and it looks a lot bleaker and less vivid then it did before.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hoping one day there'll be a supes edit called the donner pass.

gerdundula

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have done something similar. It is currently stuck at just over 4 hours. I have shelved it for now but am happy to share my vision with you.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I applaud your tacliking Superman which I also have (unreleased mind you). I've been obsessed with it since it came out and figured out way back then that something went wrong when S2 came out ....

Your work certainly goes a long way to getting to Donner's vision, but including items like the Paris sequence, a gratuitous add on by Lester and co to gain a directors credit, is far from Donner's vision. He went through hell during the end of production and threatened to sue the Saldkins when he was pushed out. Lester actually came on board way before he reshot 51% of S2, acting as a mediator between Donner and the producers coz they had stopped talking and he was forced to film a new ending to S1 to get it completed...it was very messy.

I also like that Paris sequence, but I chose to leave it (and as much RL as possible) out of my edit. It's a Lester sequence 100%, and Donner us on the record saying he hates it.

My point is, first, we edit for ourselves, so ignore me...HOWEVER, I do think that billing this as "Donners vision" is mis leading. The original shooting script is out there, and your edit is some way off that. It may be that you are not aware of the wealth of materials out there to inform us of these things. I do believe we have a responsibility to not mis-state what film makers intended if we are trying to salvage what they could not deliver. I also think we ought to not mis inform viewers either. This leads to people's "film lore" becoming distorted, and lord knows there's enough fake news out there already. Let's inform, challenge and entertain, sure; and let's pay homage too by being accurate if we are able.

I'm sure your version is great and you must love it above all else, but let's also try to be respectful of the original filmmakers too, just as we all own the underlying materials, we should also own how we frame our interpretations....

Happy to PM on some of the finer points of what went on when these films were made since I have a big library of out of print source material much of which is not online if you are interested. It was a complete nightmare the films got finished and are as good as they are frankly.

Please take my comments constructively, and don't change your edit at all....edit for you....I do. Above all, Thanks for keeping the Donner contribution and the best Superman EVER out there.

W

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ps, I ended up with two versions, one which is S1 ending on the intended cliffhanger of the villains escaping..."to be concluded", the other, a union of S1&2 removing the prologue krypton material and telling it flashbacks when jor el tells Lex in the fortress, thus coming in at just over 3hrs. Also happy to share these. I'd love to see yours
W

Top Bottom