• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman Returns: The ADigitalMan Cut

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
icadmsreturnscopyli4.jpg

Superman Returns
This edit adds in some deleted material and removes some material from the theatrical cut that makes the story tighter. After three different cuts, this is the one I settled on. The Bizzle gave me some of these ideas, either directly or indirectly.

1. The scenes in the first 20 or so minutes are rearranged. At the end of the credits, when we zoom into earth, we move to Ma Kent doing the dishes (using the deleted pan-down and with a few subsequent shots removed to get to the "happening" more quickly.)

2. Small trim to the start of the Vanderworth scene. This rearrangement allows the Vanderworth scene to play with the audience. Is it Ma Kent talking to Clark, or is it something else?

3. Instead of the cornfield flashback, we have the shot of Clark and the shovel, followed by the X-ray newspaper scene.

4. Expanded version of the Lex/Kitty boat scene, where Kitty gets catty.

5. As the camera zooms through the "ice" to the fortress, part of the dialogue about the unnatural weather pattern and the crystals are inserted as a voiceover.

6. Brando is cut. It was redundant to Superman II, plus when you consider that we should see no more Brando after his energy was exhausted, it made sense to remove it. Instead, we cut away after Kitty's line "You act like you've been here before." Which Lex Has. He didn't need a refresher course from Jor-El.

7. Expanded conversation with Clark & Ma Kent, introducing Ben Hubbard. This uses that GREAT line about keeping the world from spinning, and that Cameron-worthy dissolve from the spinning baseball to the Daily Planet building. It expands on Clark's reluctance to still be Superman, and further underscores the theme that the world moved on without him.

8. Added source music behind the bar scene with old and new Jimmy. Listen carefully.

9. Likely to be the best change in the film, Stalkerman is cut without losing any of the exposition of Richard and Lois. The scene cuts from the cab ride to the exterior of the house. Lois never gives a lying "no" response about being in love with Superman, giving the scene MUCH more emotional resonance. Superman's flight through metropolis comes AFTER this scene, meeting the Jor-El voiceover seamlessly.

10. As the kryptonite shard is removed in the hospital, the shot of it landing in the glass is slowed down, a bigger sound effect is added, and the scene fades to black. Then "Superman is Dead."

11. In a change directly described by The Bizzle, the Daily Planet scene is trimmed down so we don't see or even hear about the crowd until we finally see it as Richard drops Lois off. The whole scene is tighter and has greater impact.

12. Lex's Paradise scene is moved to a post-credits sequence. This heightens the impact that Lois' revelation about Jason gives Superman the will to live by allowing him to disappear from the hospital quicker. (The sun apparently sets as fast as it does in X3, but whaddayagonnado?)

Bonus Audio Track: I've done my best to recreate an ISOMIX track for the film. With a few exceptions, it's pretty-near perfect, including all the edits made to the actual score to fit the editing. This was NOT easy.
Bonus DVD-ROM Content: Open the folder and see what's there.

Hi-res artwork for all four ADM Superman Edits: http://rapidshare.com/files/14356807/AD ... t.rar.html

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

Kracker

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking to see what you have done to the movie.... this was great in IMAX 3D.

Dangelus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like another fantastic ADM classic!

Can't wait! :smile:

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sound indeed very awesome. I'm gonna check this one out.

bigrob

Reaction score
Trophy Points
is aanybody having problems downloading the cover art? all i get is a empty folder after unRARing it!

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it will be uploaded today to the website

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bigrob said:
is aanybody having problems downloading the cover art? all i get is a empty folder after unRARing it!
I just downloaded it and it worked for me. All the art is inside a folder, instead of being in the root of the RAR.

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow... Sounds excellent, ADM. This makes about ten of your DVD's I need to get my hands on somehow.

I still haven't even seen your Pearl Harbor edit. :-(

drgonzo369

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't wait for this, ADM. As soon as I get it and watch it, I'll have another review up. lol.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there a technical issue holding this edit up?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the technical issue is that no one yet is uploading it. But hopefully Dark Jedi will soon. He currently is the one reliable source to obtain ADMs edits. I am sure we'll get it soon. Can't wait myself.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's fine, I finished grabbing Redeemed and about 2/3 of the way on S2 Hybrid.
I was just hoping to do a marathon of these edits.

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DJ is really busy and DAYV is backlogged so it may be a little while. Still, PiF has a great track record.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know we will get it and I am really looking forward to it. There is no real hurry, some things just take a while and others are worth waiting for.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wasn't so sure I cared about this edit until I noticed that you cut the stalking thing. I mean what the heck? That really gave me the creeps.
I think we're all more comfortable with Supe being a boyscout.

Besides I thought the original cut was a little too slow paced at the beginning.

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will up it soon maybe a week or 2 at the latest,I am just putting the finishing touches on my last 2 projects,and I am taking a break for a while after they are done,I am finishing up Howard The Duck HD2DVD in both PAL & NTSC,with a bunch of very cool dvd-rom extras,and Night of the Comet HD2DVD,so Howard will prbably be upped first.
hope this helps,you guys know I WILL put it up,just bare with me a little bit.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep, DJ, you have been very reliable.
May I ask, why you are planning a PAL and a NTSC release? I just wonder because you live in the US (so you create NTSC) and every PAL player can handle NTSC.

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
to be honost,I dont know,probably because the source was PAL anyways,and I kind of want to see the difference myself between the 2,other than that,I couldnt tell you,something new for me.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ah,ok, I like experimenting myself. This is how you get to know, if new stuff is worth the effort. If you spot a difference between the two, tell me. I would be interested.

Top Bottom