• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman Returns - Fanedited by Booshman

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In preperation for editing Superman II in HD I wanted a project to work out a good workflow for HD editing, and what tools I would need to do so. I intended to be done with it quite quickly, but as these things tend to do, it got a bit more involved than expected and I put in a lot more hours then I thought I would.

I loved the original cut of Superman Returns when I saw it 5 times in the cinema. Over the years since then I have become less enchanted by it, to the point where I found it difficult to watch the whole thing in one sitting. There are too many things that annoy me to really enjoy the film as I once did, so I've decided to remove as many of them as I can. These include Lois' bitching, some of Lex's more OTT moments, Smallville flashbacks, obvious and unecessary CGI. Also, the colour of the original film is terrible, so I've colour corrected the entire edit.

Released on bluray and DVD.

The Bluray is 1080p AVC with DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby Digital 5.1, English subs.

The DVD is NTSC dual layer disc, with the option of DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, English subs. Includes animated menus and easter egg.

Here's my edit list:

Superman Returns – Fanedited by Booshman
2hr 20 min
* WB/ Legendary Pictures/ DC.
* Superman Shield. (taken from trailer). A bit like Batman Begins/ TDK. No Credits
* RTK – House of El crest omitted.
* Martha at home, no Ben Hubbard, spaceship crashes.
* Lex on the yacht, alternate deleted scene with wig added.
* Lex in fortress, Jor-El dialogue heavily cut.
* Clark wakes up, family photos deleted scene partially re-inserted.
* Clark in the barn deleted scene. Reading at super speed cut.
* Replaced Kent post box shot with alternate from “Look Up in the Sky”.
* Clark/ Martha talk at home. Combination theatrical/ deleted scene. Martha dialogue trimmed. Ben Hubbard “you flew in last week” cut.
* Clark arrives at the Daily planet. Jimmy's cake and some dialogue cut.
* Clark and Jimmy talk to Jack Larson the barman, some dialogue cut.
* Blondie explains how the launch works, some Bosworth dialogue trimmed.
* Mission Control and blackout scenes run continuously, no train set.
* Clark leaves the bar without pause for thought. Shirt rip alternate angle from “Look Up in the Sky” inserted.
* Superman saves the 777, Lois faint cut.
* DP meeting, Perry's dialogue trimmed. "All that stuff".
* Clark meets Jason. References to frailty and inhaler removed. Awkwardness between Clark/ Lois trimmed.
* Lex reads the paper.
* Lois and Clark in the lift/ leave work. Super whistle for cab cut.
* Superman spotted above Metropolis, blatant CGI close-up removed.
Superman flies high and hovers above the Earth. Jor-El dialogue trimmed.
* Superman stops the rooftop gunner. Cop “Oh Sh...” removed.
* Kitty's car out of control/ visit to hospital/ museum robbery. Writers cameo removed.
* Perry's office. “I's a bird...” removed. Lois whining trimmed. Superman called as a witness cut.
* Lois goes back to her desk. “relationship?” removed.
* Kitty hits Lex, Lex inspects Kryptonite.
* Lois talks to Richard about Superman. Richard suspects Clark removed, other dialogue trims.
* Lois drops her bag. Clark glasses coming off removed.
* Lois interviews Superman. “I forgot how warm you are”, and “Who's Clark” removed.
* Night flight.
* Superman returns Lois to the roof. “I'm always around” removed.
* Lois returns to the office.
* Lois hands in Superman article to Perry.
* Superman finds his crystals are missing.
* Lois calls around about the blackout.
* Lois meets Lex on the boat. “you're bald” removed.
* Lex talks to Lois and Jason. Some dialogue trimmed.
* Richard call Jason’s school/ talks to Perry & Clark
* Lex explains his plan to Lois. Over the top moments removed. Alternate “Wrong” take used.
* Krypto-crystal launch/ piano duet. Brief blackout before crystal release removed.
* Lex stands and admires his handy-work. Train set reference removed.
* Jason launches the piano.
* Clark and Richard learn where Lois is and set off.
* Superman spots the cracked sea-bed and flies back to save Metropolis. Lois trying to escape with rolling pin removed.
* Super saves in Metropolis.
* Richard arrives to save Lois and Jason.
* Superman flies to Lex's new continent and get shanked.
* Superman in the water. Brando motivational dialogue removed.
* Richard and Lois save Superman.
* Superman raises the continent and falls to earth. Superman heart beat added.
* Perry prepares for the worst, Richard and Lois talk.
* Lois and Jason go to the hospital
* Lex on the tropical island. OTT laugh and “what will we eat” removed.
* Superman visits Jason.
* Lois sees Superman. Lois' “... around” removed.
* Superman flies above the city/ smiles at camera.
* End credits. Noel Neil/ Vanderworth family/ 15 year old Clark/ Hospital theatre staff removed. Reeve dedication first followed by cast. Score swapped, Superman theme is last.

Here's an example of the colour correction.

Asteroid-Man

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm gonna watch this tonight. I actually really love Superman Returns. I used to hate it when it first came out, but it grew on me over time.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be honest, that Supes screenshot makes his skin look a little too warm in my opinion. But that's just my opinion. And I've seen all three Transformers, so even if he looked orange, I still couldn't care less.

I'm going to watch this whenever the hell RS actually lets me :)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am a Superman Returns lover, so this is good news.

I will offer some honest constructive criticism, take it as you will.

Obviously SR was in need of some serious color "correction", and while what you've done looks 100% better than the theatrical color grading, I think it's just short of being perfect. I'm not capable of doing anything like what you've done, and maybe you tried what I'm going to suggest and it didn't work, but I'll offer it up anyway.

I think that everything looks spot on, minus the skin and hair tones. Again, my knowledge of color correction is very limited, but I know that in Photoshop I would knock down the reds a little bit, and desaturate everything just a tad. Brunette hair looks a little auburn, and like Kal-El said, the skin tones are a little "warm", aka too much red and orange.

If you didn't do anything, I would still prefer your grading to the theatrical, but some light tweaks would make it nearly flawless, imho.

Either way, congrats on some great work, I look forward to seeing this.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I appreciate the constructive feedback! I also hate you guys:p;-).

I've just had a fiddle in PS and I think your advice makes it look better than it does now. Here's a couple of shots, the original is obviously the top one.

Now as the colour correction changes scene to scene, I'm not sure if I could apply a general CC to make these sort of changes without sending some scenes in the wrong direction, but I'll look into it.

Anyways, I smell a V2.0 on the horizon, thanks again fellas.:p

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've checked how the CC would affect the rest of the movie and it's a marked improvement across the board.
I'm going to render it out and recompile the DVD version. I'll get that online and see about doing the bluray version too.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, in that case, I won't be downloading just yet :-D

Asteroid-Man

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha, I'm going to go ahead and cancel my bluray download for now. :p

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I, however, keep downloading the DVD. Since it's RS it takes days, and I had about 30 parts already when booshman made the announcement (part 66 is downloading right now) so I'll finish this so I can watch the edit this month. I can always redownload it later anyway.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks much better. Looking forward to this even more.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to mess around those who were already part downloaded.:oops:

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
That's strike one boosh.
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-hoodie_design.png

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD version 2.0 with new colour correction is now up on RS, and is upping now to MF. the bluray version will be a bit longer, probably about a week.

Anyone who wants links to the new version just PM me.

kyodai13

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The movie is actually watchable with these changes. Not that I hated superman returns, but I found a lot of things about it annoying before (mostly Kevin Stacey's portrayal of lex). The themes play a lot better with the subtlety of this cut as well.

I'm still glad the series is getting rebooted though, lol.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New BD version is almost done. I've had a lot of problems with rendering the thing, but nearly there now. Then it should only be a few more days to get it online, I'll post when it is.

Glad you liked the edit kyodai13, don't forget to rate and review if you can.

http://fanedit.org/wp/15848/

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The new version of the bluray is up. All PM's replied to (I think), if you want the links or haven't heard back from me, let me know and I'll sort you out,

Top Bottom