• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman Returns - Fanedited by Booshman

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please ask via PM.

Brent Enloe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh my goodness, i cant thank you enough for this beautiful piece of artwork! finally i get to see Superman in red, blue, and yellow now :D

i hated the original movie, but seeing your edit, i will be more than happy to write a review about the movie, because the #1 thing that bothered me were the colors of the movie

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brent Enloe said:
what tools did you use to change the colors around?

The CC was a combination of After Effects (color finesse and a few other effects), Premiere Pro, and TMPGEnc (a few tweaks added to the final render).

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a really impressive job. I've tinkered with colour correct but I can barely even hold a mouse compared to the work you have done in front of your monitor.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Toonloon said:
It's a really impressive job. I've tinkered with colour correct but I can barely even hold a mouse compared to the work you have done in front of your monitor.

Tinkering for the win. It's all about the trial and error.

Wade99

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally finished downloading v2 of the Bluray from RS, but I'm receiving an error message when trying to extract the image. It's saying that part 223 is corrupt. Has anyone else been able to successfully download and extract this version of the edit?

v2david

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Had the same issue. File 223 is corrupt. Luckily there is a fix. Send a PM to Booshman...

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to step on anyone's toes here, but is it really that hard to keep everything restricted to PM? Listen to TV's Frink.

v2david

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't believe links can be posted per TOS. Booshman rocks, send him a PM he is very responsive!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Not to step on anyone's toes here, but is it really that hard to keep everything restricted to PM? Listen to TV's Frink.

v2david said:
I don't believe links can be posted per TOS. Booshman rocks, send him a PM he is very responsive!

Posting links wasn't what Kal-El was referring to. Of course that's against the Rules. But something else that's also against the rules is this:

"3. Don't post asking for download links:
We will delete all link requests and you will, in repeating cases, get a warning. Posts like "where can I find this?" will also be deleted, as this is already answered on fanedit.org and the forum in the respective fanedit posts.
Keep requests for releases on different platforms to a minimum."

Ref: http://www.fanedit.org/forums/announcement.php?f=199&a=2

We've been a bit lenient about it due to new members but the rule does exist for a reason.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I LOVE Superman!

The Bionic Man and the Man of Steel are my two favorite heroes of all time. From childhood to this very day, so many, many years later, these characters continue to inspire and entertain me. Whether it be George Reeves, Tom Welling, Gerard Christopher,Dean Cain or Chris Reeve, the Superman of the Silver Screen (both big and small) have always held a special fondness in my heart.

So after what felt like untold ages, that Bryan "The X-Man" Singer announced he was helming a new Superman movie, I was a giddy and delirious fanboy, on the verge of a nerdgasm! It sounded like the perfect combination in my mind. All the buzz and press and interviews before the release of the movie clearly displayed Singer's devotion to Superman, particularly to the original Donner film. So I went into the theatres on opening night, feeling secure and assured that I was about to watch the greatest super hero movie ever.

Two hours later, not feeling quite so satisfied.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like Superman Returns very, very much. It is a movie with much warmth and heart. But it is also a very flawed movie. Singer's love for Donner is evident, and that is the film's greatest weakness. Too much homage, and not enough fresh, original story. There are many great moments in this movie, but many missteps too, along with poor casting choices and poor pacing, over shadow many of these moments.

Up until now, my preferred viewing experience for Superman Returns has been ADM's fan edit. It is a wonderful and fun edit that removes most of the original's weaknesses and fortifies it strengths. I still highly recommend it.

But now, we have a new fan edit of Superman Returns, by Booshman, and I am overjoyed to report it is a delightfully entertaining experience.

First off, it has a great but simple colour menu design with icon Superman imagery. Great work!

Secondly, this edit looks FANTASTIC!!! The recolouring of the film is great and no where does it stand out more than when Superman appears on screen. The primary colours are so rich, they just POP off the screen! I love it! Beautiful and brilliant work! Booshman should be congratulated for this accomplishment. My hat off to you good sir!

Thirdly, the editing is very good. Many complain that the original Superman Returns moves too slow, particularly on repeated viewings. Well, no fear of that here. This edit moves along at a much stronger pace, getting to the return of the Man of Tomorrow much sooner.

Most of the audio and cuts are well executed. There are a couple spots where it "feels" edited to me, as though the beat of the moment has been interrupted (Clark thanking Perry for his job, Clark popping into Perry's office on '...it's a bird...'), but this may be due to my over familiarity with the material.

The new opening and the Return to Krypton sequence is wonderfully executed. I LOVED seeing this deleted scene reincorporated. If I had to nitpick this sequence, I am not sure I would have had Kal-el's ship arriving immediately after the Jor-el voice over/planet explosion. As there is no sense of lapse of time. Maybe Jor-el voice over, then title card, then Clark's arrival. Actually, if Jor-el's exposition was not set up for the end of the movie, I would have said just cut it all together. But as I said, this is minor nitpicking.

This is a great edit, this new cut works very well, but for me this movie may be a tiny bit over edited. There are a couple moments I wish had remained because I think they add more weight to Kal-el's character. In particular, I wish ALL the Smallville stuff had remained, as they give us greater insight to the "real" Clark and it also sets up Jason's allergies later. I also wish Boosh had kept Clark's reaction/questions about Lex Luthor being released from prison. It one of the rare moments where we see the Last Son of Krypton's human anger side emerge, however briefly.

But otherwise, I agree with all the cuts Booshman made -- no dying rich lady, no toy train, no peeping tom superman, less unlikeable Lois, a more sinister Lex -- all greatly improve the story and the entertainment value.

This is a SUPER FAN EDIT and I highly recommend it to all my fellow Kryptonians!

THUMBS UP!

Thank you Booshman for a fun evening at the movies!:)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Came across this interesting article/commentary about Chris Reeve's portrayal of Superman...

http://www.newsarama.com/film/christopher-reeve-superman-best-performance.html

After watching Booshman's Superman Returns edit, it reminded me of something that always bugged me about this movie...

Frank Langella as Perry White.

Most critics of the movie cite Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane as terrible miscasting. And I agree with this.

But Langella's Perry White is even more of a cringe worthy performance in my opinion.

Which totally confuses me because Langella is a brilliant actor and this role he should have been able to pull off in his sleep.

But when I watch his performance I see this befuddled, soft talking, out of his depth, barely competent guy who should be considering retirement. Not a former ace war correspondent, a passionate pursuer of the truth and editor in chief of the most powerful newspaper on the planet! In fact, the way he constantly misdirects Lois from going after the Black Out Story, I was almost convinced some where in the movie it was going to be revealed he was secretly partners with Luthor!?!?!!!!

Of course much of this can be blamed on the script and direction, but still, for such an iconic character to be so horribly misrepresented....? Well, it leaves me scratching my head very confused....:shock:

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cheers for taking the time to rate and review Bob, much appreciated. Glad you had fun. A title card would have been a good idea after the Krypton explosion, that'll teach me for releasing with no previews!

Top Bottom