• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Superman Resurrection

TheSpiedSniper

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Intent for Edit:

Two of my favorite movies as a 10 year old boy were Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. As I have grown and learned many things about film and narrative, I have come to lament these two films. There are such beautiful gems in both films that are completely buried in a sea of boring, silly, and pointless things. For 15 years+ now, I have had the desire to try and salvage something good out of Superman III, as the corruption and subsequent redemption of Superman (crystalized in the junkyard battle) is still one of my favorite Superman moments across all media.

About 3 months ago I was introduced to Adigitalman's Superman Redeemed fan edit which is archived on this very site. I was blown away at the stroke of genius of marrying the plots and good moments from 3 and 4. Surprisingly, the two films fit together so well that they created NEW themes, seemingly from nowhere, that elevated both films past their original presentations. However, I was a little disappointed in the brevity and lack of character and story development that led to the great payoff moments. Therefore, I wanted to build upon what Adigitalman had already accomplished. This cut gives us a moment to breathe and contemplate Superman's turn to vanity and apathy which is catalyzed by the scratch from Nuclear Man.

So, with all that being said, I have edited together Superman 3 and 4 (with excerpts from Superman 2 and a few shots from Superman Returns) to create a pleasing and thematically rich film that actually focuses on the character of Superman/Clark Kent… unlike the failures of 3 and 4 which really seem to focus on plot points/messages/and extraneous characters slathered over by some very poor effects in the case of 4. To be 100% clear… I give full credit for the conception of this work to Adigitalman and his fan edit “Superman Redeemed.” The goal here is to more flesh out and fully realize his idea into a seamless film. Also, I have improved the visual and sound quality by sourcing the footage from a Superman 3 blu ray and Booshman’s color corrected Superman 4.

The ultimate hope is to restore a good final taste in the mouths of us Chris Reeve Superman fans when watching anything after the first two films. Also, I really wanted to give some closure to the Lois and Superman romance which was left hanging forever, sadly.

***CHANGES OVERVIEW***

-Elimination of all subplots not directly related to Superman/Clark Kent in both films (Superman 3 & 4). This leaves two main plots that tie together pretty well with some help from the Paris H-bomb incident in the Theatrical Cut of Superman 2.

-Removed Characters that distract from the new plot such as: Ross Webster, Guss Gorman, Mr. Warfield, etc...

-Removed as many cringey components of the films as possible (Lacey in outer space, looney toons style elements of Lex's prison break from Superman 4, Nuclear man's levitation, reverse time, and bazooka melting powers)

-Added new Opening Credit sequence which recaps the events of the first two films (a harmonized version of Superman The Movie and Superman 2 The Richard Donner Cut).

-Added a new mid credit sequence at the end of the film that finally gives the Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder romance a satisfying conclusion.

-Borrowed Booshman’s color corrected edit of Superman 4 to try and improve the look of the footage.
-Eliminated the worst effect in Superman 4 (when Supes and Nukes first fight and fall off the building Lex is in). Instead of following their fight down the length of the building (in terrible green screen) and then watching a tiny Superman slide diagonally across the screen for no apparent reason, we hold on the broken railing for an extra second or two and then cut to Superman chasing Nuclear Man.

-Since, in this cut, Superman is first made very sick by the Nuclear Man scratch, is saved by the influx of energy from the crystal power module given to him by his mother in his infant ship, I inserted an altered image of a Daily Planet newspaper showing that the world knows that Superman is in fact alive. This then cuts to his survival being celebrated by the town of Smallville at little Ricky's birthday he promised to attend earlier in the film.

-After Superman makes use of the energy module to survive the radiation poisoning scratch, I inserted a few altered shots of Superman Returns when Superman flies up to the sun in order to regain his energy. I used a portion of the evil Superman theme to accompany the imagery, broadcasting to the audience that this might not be an entirely good thing (since the sudden influx of crazy amounts of energy combined with this radical radiation poisoning corrupts his behavior and judgment). His sickness, while no longer fatal, has now become a corrupting agent within him. This is depicted in the subsequent evil Superman scenes from Superman 3.

-I replaced several pieces of music throughout both the Superman 3 and 4 excerpts to help highlight some of the plot and theme differences in my cut.

-There are an almost uncountable number frame trims and cuts... as well as audio blends and L cuts to smooth over the transitions from one film to the next.

-I included a few pieces of text after the credit sequence but before the film proper begins to give an idea of the passage of time from Superman 2 and also highlight the theme of the movie. It's a quote from Perry White's memoirs, presumably, years down the road upon reflection of a time when Superman almost got too carried away with trying to steer the world in a better direction. By doing so, perhaps he was in danger of making himself out to be an antagonist to human development.

***MORE DETAILED EDIT BREAKDOWN***

-New opening credit sequence that serves as a recap of Superman 1 & 2. It is about 10 minutes of score and imagery, so I consider it to be a bit of a classic overture as well. This might not be for everybody, but it also serves to tell the audience what canon this story takes place in. It is, essentially, a follow up of the Donner cut of Superman 2. Though, it’s really a spiritual sequel to Wraith’s epic cut of 1&2.

-Cut out the opening scenes of both Superman 3 and Superman 4 (Guss Gorman at unemployment/slapstick opening credit sequence [3] & Superman saving the Russian astronauts [4]).

-Immediately after new credit sequence we cut to the daily planet scene in Superman 3 where Lois goes on vacation and Clark heads back to smallville for his highschool reunion with Jimmy.

-Cut to Clark and Jimmy on the bus heading toward small villa. This leads into Superman saving the day at the chemical plant fire in Superman 3. The scene plays out un-altered.

-Cut to Clark flying into his old home in smallville from Superman 4 as he talks selling the house and retrieves his mother’s gifted power module from his infant ship. The scene plays out un-altered.

-Cut to the highschool reunion from Superman 3. The scene is un-altered.

-Cut to Lex Luthor being broken out of prison by Lenny (Superman 4). This scene is heavily truncated. Cut out redundant closing mechanisms on car to make the whole thing feel more quick and sudden, thus catching the guards by surprise. In the original presentation they look like total morons. I also cut out two shots after the car goes off the cliff. The first is the initial exchange between Lenny and Lex (redundant information and waste of time). The second is the cutaway showing the guards surviving the crash. This is so cartoony it undercuts the tone of the film. By excising that shot it also makes Luther seem a bit more dangerous... as he may have just killed two men right at the onset of the film.

-Cut to the morning clean-up of the highschool gymnasium with Clark and Lana (Superman 3). This is a great scene where we really start to reconnect with Clark on a human level and get to learn who Lana is. The scene plays out un-altered.

-Cut to Lex and Lenny stealing Superman's strand of hair at the museum with the intent of creating nuclear man from his DNA (Superman 4). The scene is un-altered.

-Cut to the wheatfield picnic with Lana, Clark, and Ricky from Superman 3. The scene is un-altered.

-Cut back to Metropolis and the daily planet as Clark is writing the article for his experience back home and what memories that brings up (Superman 3). He receives a call from Lana who asks if Superman can attend little Ricky's B-day party. Clark tells her that Superman will be there. This reconnecting with his past and the audience getting to know who Clark really is outside of the Superman persona helps set up our cheering for Clark later on in his battle with evil Superman. Also, his humility and groundedness are pitted against his large world history altering decision to singlehandedly rid the world of nuclear weapons. We, already, are starting to see a dichotomy between Clark as a person... and Superman as a global figure/persona. The scene cuts out the hurt bingo winners that went to central America threatening Perry with a lawsuit. I also re-used the Daily Planet building facade shot for an establishing shot and transition from smallville.

-Cut to Lenny and Lex building the cloning machine to create Nuclear man in Lex's lab from Superman 4. The scene is un-altered.

-Cut to an establishing shot of Metropolis from Superman 4. I removed the text from the bottom of the screen stating "METROPOLIS" since we have already been there and do not need an introduction to the location. I did this by repeating the last frame of the shot for several seconds; the frames of the shot without the text were too few to use un-altered. In order to make it appear less like a still image I added some moving film grain.

-Cut to the next shot from Superman 4 which is Clark crossing the street almost getting hit by a taxi and going down into the subway system. I only used this portion of the scene to create a sense of a passage of time, since the last time we saw Clark was ALSO at the daily planet. By cutting here early in the morning and seeing Clark on his way to work we establish that this is some time in the future from his phone call with Lana.

-Cut to Cark walking into the main floor of the daily planet and making his way into Perry's office. This is a scene from Superman 2 (theatrical cut). Clark learns that terrorists have hostages on the Eiffel Tower and are threatening to level all of Paris with a nuclear hydrogen bomb. He also learns that Lois is there covering the story. I altered the audio so that Perry says, "I put her on the first concord." as opposed to "I put her on the first concord out of here." This harmonizes the scene from earlier where Lois is mentioned to be going on vacation in Bermuda. The implication is that a concord jet got her from her vacation to Paris.

-Cut to the next scene from Superman 2 (theatrical) where Lois ascends the Eiffel Tower, the hostages are released, and Superman throws the bomb out into space. The scene is truncated to cut away from after the explosion... as the rest of the scene depicts Zodd and company being freed from the phantom zone. Bridge music was used to bring an end to the scene via audio.

-Cut to re-sourced sequence from Superman Redeemed, where a voice announces that nations will be further constructing nuclear weapons in response to the terrorist nuclear threat... thus upping the nuclear arms race across the globe. From here Adigital man cut to the school scene in Superman 4 where Jeremy says he wants to write a letter to Superman so he can help get rid of all nuclear weapons. This more or less, L cuts to the scene of Clark contemplating what to do in the daily planet with the audio of him reading Jeremy's letter. From here he cuts to Clark contemplating further in his apartment while recalling what Jor-el said to him in Superman 1 about destruction being avoided by not falling victim to vanity. In my cut I used a different flying shot of Superman from Superman 3 so as not to repeat the shot originally used which is seen later in the film. Also, I added the president’s television address from Superman 4 to further highlight the political context and tension.

-Cut to Superman flying to the fortress of solitude consulting with the elders (Superman 4). The scene is unaltered.

-Cut to UN Superman speech in Superman 4. Scene is unaltered. The film continues as normal with Superman collecting nuclear missiles and sending them into the sun.

-Cut to Lex enlisting political and black market accomplices to defeat Superman and re-arm the world with nukes. The scene is truncated. (S4)

-Cut to Lex present at the middle launch. The scene is un-altered. (S4)

-Cut to the birth of nuclear man in space who then travels to earth. (S4)

-I excised the workout scene with Lacey as she is no longer a boss/love interest. She now serves as another daily planet employee and friend of Lois. (S4)

-Cut to Lex meeting Nuclear man. The scene is unaltered. (S4)

-Cut to Lana rebuffing Brad over the phone. The scene is truncated for a smoother edit. The plot point of her inevitable move to metropolis is not entirely lost however. She still realizes the answer to her plight vocally and dials the phone. Her travel arrangements are implied rather than stated.(S3)

-Cut to Clark getting the threat of blowing up a building from Lex on the big screen downtown (Superman 4). This is a snippet of a much larger scene which was removed (double date of Supes/Lois and Clark/Lacey). I also used the shot of Superman flying to Lex’s building to confront him as a bridge to that scene. I accompanied that shot with the audio of the shot of him flying right over the building a few seconds later in the film since the musical cue cut in better. (S4)

-Cut to Lex filling Superman in on his plan and orders Nuclear Man to kill Superman.

***Detailed Edit Breakdown is still being compiled. Thanks for your patience***

*** NOTE*** This project did not attempt to alter much footage, but rather to restructure the plots of Superman 3 and 4 to create a satisfying final adventure for Christopher Reeve's Superman.

Last edited:
#staff

Threads merged moved to ITW active.

Welcome @TheSpiedSniper
Guidelines for how to aub no it an edit can be found here. Please take a moment to read over them and let me know via PM if you need any help.

Also, here are some tips to gain more traction and interest in your edit.
- create a cut list of the changes you've made (you can use the IFDB format to share information)
- share examples of your editing (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
- create a poster for your edit (required when submitting to IFDB)

#staff
It looks like you had already submitted but the project submission had a different name than this project thread. I'd recommend copying the info from your submission form and pasting it in the first post here as well as updating the name of the thread. You can do this by using the edit button on your post.

That is one of the most thorough intention and change description that I've ever read. Awesome! I'm going to love approving this edit.

Is it possible we could get some sample clips posted or a trailer?

This is a visual medium, and I find SEEING samples of edits, rather than just READING long paragraphs of cut lists, is far more likely to gain my attention and make me want to watch the final product.

This is an almost entirely up to date clip of the opening credits. Sorry for not having a trailer. I’m having a bit of a free time issue lately lol.

Just know that this clip is not at full quality… it was used for testing purposes only.

Most likely not the trailer that I was hoping for...🤨

Last edited:
This is an almost entirely up to date clip of the opening credits. Sorry for not having a trailer. I’m having a bit of a free time issue lately lol.

Just know that this clip is not at full quality… it was used for testing purposes only.

Watched. Overall, very nice.

But a few nitpicky observations....

The audio level of the opening music needs to be balanced better when it blends at 1minute12seconds, as the main score is significantly louder, richer and broader.

While I really like the new title credit design, it is challenging to read when on a daylight or a brighter (white light) background.

All the titles are the same size. Traditionally, the "written by", "produced by", "directed by", etc are a smaller text size. This does somewhat visually impact how one reads the credits.

Again, traditionally, movie credits end with the Director's Credit. But this edit has it at the 5 minute mark and then continues on for another full 2 minutes of additional credits. It one is going for an authentic movie experience, I would move the Director Credit to last.

I would also suggest going with a different font style for the Perry White quote.

The audio level of the opening music needs to be balanced better when it blends at 1minute12seconds, as the main score is significantly louder, richer and broader.
@bionicbob I've watched both opening credit sequences. The first version was about 3 minutes longer. I wore headphones and used stereo speakers. I never had that issue. I want to go back and just listen now to see what you might mean.

While I really like the new title credit design, it is challenging to read when on a daylight or a brighter (white light) background.
I'm totally okay with their very slight opaqueness sometimes, in fact I like it.
All the titles are the same size. Traditionally, the "written by", "produced by", "directed by", etc are a smaller text size. This does somewhat visually impact how one reads the credits.
I never had an off putting feeling about this.

... traditionally, movie credits end with the Director's Credit. But this edit has it at the 5 minute mark and then continues on for another full 2 minutes of additional credits. It one is going for an authentic movie experience, I would move the Director Credit to last.
The way they are now are great to me and work as submitted, but this could be addressed, and easily I'm sure if they want to change it.
I would also suggest going with a different font style for the Perry White quote.
A solid white font could look good too. While reviewing I thought about the font for this. It isn't an error as it stands to me. The font as is is keeping in-theme with the rest of the opening credits. If I am in the minority of opinion on this then maybe it could be an easy update.

If I am in the minority on any of this then maybe things can be addressed, but they are all quite small things like you said.

I believe @TheSpiedSniper 's editing and cuts will bewitch you though. Very clean.

Last edited:

Again, traditionally, movie credits end with the Director's Credit. But this edit has it at the 5 minute mark and then continues on for another full 2 minutes of additional credits. It one is going for an authentic movie experience, I would move the Director Credit to last.

One of the first things that I caught was how difficult the credits were to read on some scenes. I think thats a matter of opinion in most cases. The fact that they are all the same size and a bit confusing in the order is another matter. I didn't think it was imperative...Its a small detail but it should be considered.

Last edited:
Fair enough @INIGHTMARES.

Though if I were scoring that for IFDB, I would drop a tech point or two for my stated issues.

The Title Credits Design is nice and after such hard, long work creating them, I would think the editor would want the viewer to be able to fully see them to appreciate their beauty. I suggest adding some sort of background blur or drop shadow or something to make them easier to read.

And to me, if the intent of a fan edit is to emulate a proper movie, then the credits should follow proper traditional credit style and structure. Meaning the "By.." credits should be a different size and the director credit should be last.

But it is the fan editor's vision, and they can of course do whatever they want. :)

So for size... I was going for that blocky blue of the original superman credits (78). I guess I never gave thought to the smaller scale position letters. I think that makes sense.

As for the trouble seeing... I do think that is problematic. As I am the one that wrote them I have a built in recognition that, I think, blinded me from being able to tell they were tough to see.

As far as the order of credits, I believe I followed the exact order of Superman III and IV, just smashed together. I'll go back and look, but I think the only credits after the directors were credits to DC and all the fanedit work... which I thought was entirely appropriate. Give up front credit to the actual filmmakers and then go into fanedit mentions.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like all the feedback. My only enemy is time lol. I'll see what I can do to make these things work a bit smoother.

Fair enough @INIGHTMARES.

Though if I were scoring that for IFDB, I would drop a tech point or two for my stated issues.

The Title Credits Design is nice and after such hard, long work creating them, I would think the editor would want the viewer to be able to fully see them to appreciate their beauty. I suggest adding some sort of background blur or drop shadow or something to make them easier to read.

And to me, if the intent of a fan edit is to emulate a proper movie, then the credits should follow proper traditional credit style and structure. Meaning the "By.." credits should be a different size and the director credit should be last.

But it is the fan editor's vision, and they can of course do whatever they want. :)
All valid points for sure Bob. Sniper has a family and kids and can't edit as quickly as he'd like sometimes I know that.

So for size... I was going for that blocky blue of the original superman credits (78). I guess I never gave thought to the smaller scale position letters. I think that makes sense.

As for the trouble seeing... I do think that is problematic. As I am the one that wrote them I have a built in recognition that, I think, blinded me from being able to tell they were tough to see.
Sounds like a few tweaks to the opening credits will polish this baby off. Maybe add some sort of slight shadow to the credits. Or something you think of.

As far as the order of credits, I believe I followed the exact order of Superman III and IV, just smashed together. I'll go back and look, but I think the only credits after the directors were credits to DC and all the fanedit work... which I thought was entirely appropriate. Give up front credit to the actual filmmakers and then go into fanedit mentions.
I like this mentality too since many people helped work on this fanedit. But like I said if we are in the minority maybe it could be reversed.

My only enemy is time lol. I'll see what I can do to make these things work a bit smoother.
Do not worry about time.

This is a fun hobby not a Studio release with a locked release date. There no pressure here on the Forum.

Everyone here wants you to succeed and have the most positive experience possible. So take your time.

Too many fan editors rush when they are nearing the finishing line, missing things both minor and significant ( I know I have!!! Lol) and then later do versions 2 or 3 re-releases to fix errors noted later by viewers.

Better to take the time now and make certain the fan edit is truly representative of your vision and is the best it can be. 👍😊

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom