• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman Redeemed (a hybrid of III and IV by ADigitalMan)

wash8454

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i am one of the few people who love both superman 3 and 4, but i watched this edit and the way in which the story evolved and gelged was brilliant

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I noticed a rather negative and unhelpful review was posted today in IFDB and it made me realize I had never posted my old review of this beloved classic....

So here is my IFDB Retro-Review....
:D

ADigitalMan's Superman edits! I love them! All of them! I have been watching and rewatching them since their original release back in 2007. More polished, ambitious and complex fan edits of the Superman films have come since then, but these ADM edits still remain my personal favorites.

For me, his greatest achievement was SUPERMAN REDEEMED. Taking the best elements from Superman III and IV, and crafting a fully new narrative that actually works very well. Is it perfect? Not at all, it suffers in some areas, requiring the audience to takes some leaps in faith and logic, but any weakness are overshadowed by it's originality and cleverness.

Back in 2010, I posted a review for REDEEMED in the Forum Thread, but I realized I have never posted an official review on the IFDB. Here is what I said back in November 2010:

I was jonesing for some fun Superman Fan Edit action!
So last night I threw in my old copy of ADM's SUPERMAN REDEEMED
and was once again thoroughly entertained.

Many fan edits come and go;
you download them, watch them once
and then they sit on a shelf or in a box somewhere
never to be looked at again.

But ADMs edits I often find myself rewatching.
They are for the most part, simple straight forward cuts
(though there is some clever digital removal work done in REDEEMED)
or extentions, that focus on narrative continuity and entertainment value.
They are all very entertaining.

And in rewatching SUPERMAN REDEEMED, I could not help but once again reflect
what a clever idea this edit was....
taking the best parts of Superman III and IV, and crafting a fully new storyline.
And the very fact, it works so well!

This is not perfect edit but it is a highly enjoyable one.
One can not allow themselves to be distracted
by minor things like changing hair styles or slight weight changes,
but just let the new narrative to flow.

The merging of the Paris hydrogen terrorist bomb threat
with the nuclear disarmament storyline works exceptionally well.
The creation of the Bizzaro Superman subplot was very clever.

All in all, as I said, a fun Superman romp.

REDEEMED, along with SUPERMAN EXTENDED, SUPERMAN II HYBRID CUT and
SUPERMAN RETURNS, ADM has created a tight shared universe continituity.
You can now easily watch all four movies back to back
and believe they are true sequels to each other!

So if you are a SUPERMAN FAN
and have never seen the ADM Edits,
I highly recommend them!!!

THUMBS WAY UP!!! :)

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotta love the glowing reviews when there's no way to download the edit. :-(

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stretch009 said:

Gotta love the passive aggressive posts about the availability of a fanedit from an editor who hasn't been around the forums for a long time. Your options are to PM the editor and/or post here. Neither of these options is a guarantee that you'll find the edit but it's a far more proactive approach than posting a sad face emoticon.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was the first edit I ever saw, and it's still one of the best combinations I've ever seen, and played a great deal in inspiring my own Superman II/III and RL II/IV hybrid edits. I just recently found it lingering around the 'net again as well.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stretch009 said:

What are you, a newbie? Don't you know the rules by now?

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
20223315.jpg

In 30 seconds I found it on newsgroups (avi) and a torrent (DVD5).

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So ten years or so on I've looked back over this, and I think someone really ought to comb over it again, I noticed a lot more hard cuts in it than I previously remembered there being. When Perry talks about the banquet and then seauges into "a photographer eats with his camera/sleeps with his camera", there is a very noticable audio splice pop etc. When Superman leaves Lex to the authorities at the end, the next scene begins with the music bursting in with no warning.

Sorry for the bump, I just thought I'd offer fresh thoughts on what is normally considered a most reveered edit.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No need to be sorry, in fact thanks for doing it.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Frink.

I know Bionicbob was writing up a retrospective article on it for the site and had asked me for an opinion on it, I was going on memory at the time and was gushing all over it, so when I got the oppertunity to see it again with fresh eyes I could'nt beleive how dated it was. We've all certaingly come a long way on a technical level and the edits I've seen since have heightened my expectations and standards.  :)

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For years I've been hoping someone would re-do this in HD. Now that Booshman has recolored all the Reeve sequels, maybe someone will take a stab at it. As for the ending, I think they should be re-ordered. Basically, instead of just showing the endings to part 3 and then part 4 in the order they appear in, it should be:

- Lex dropped off at prison
- Lana gets ring, meets Lois at the DP
- Superman speech where he says "It's all 1 world"
- Clark/Superman in farm, while remembering his early days and discovering the green crystal
- Upon discovering the green crystal, we hear Jor-el's voice.

Someone else made a fan edit of combining parts 3 and 4 and has put clips on youtube. Now I'm not sure if this is theirs, as I've seen this ending from 2 different editors, but they did it pretty much the same way:

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the above podcast, they make reference to a scene change turning "Jeremy" into Ricky, and it wouldn't be too difficult. I threw something together on a free edit site as an example. This would be one of the best changes/updates to Superman Redeemed, if anyone was interested.

Superman Redeemed is a FANTASTIC fanedit. It makes Superman 3/4 on par with Superman 1 and 2, and that's saying something. That doesn't mean there aren't a couple of editing suggestions which could help the film.

One of the biggest is at the end, when Lex Luthor is returned to prison and the other prisoners start whistling Mozart... there is no establishing shot of Lex Luthor whistling Mozart earlier in the film.

Next, we need a handful of "transition shots" between scenes. Rather than jumping immediately from Superman in Smallville to Clark Kent in the Daily Planet (interior) for example, an exterior shot of the Daily Planet as a transition shot would help "mentally prepare" the viewer for the scene change.

Last edited:

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thinking about it further... I think it would be better with a couple of additional shots...

1) Classroom Scene, change to "Ricky" (we watch back of kid's head as he looks out the window)
2) A "memory shot" of how Superman saved Ricky from the Harvester (maybe blurred edges to imply it's what Ricky was daydreaming about)
3) Establishing shot Daily Planet Exterior
4) Clark Kent reading the letter, longer Ricky writing scene insertion, but letter edited to remove "don't care if they think I'm a space cadet"

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was thinking of an overall narrative structure change that places Superman: Redeemed between Superman I and Superman II...

This would allow for several story improvements:

1) Clark Kent revisits Smallville, encounters Lana Lang, and makes a decision before committing to Lois in Superman II.
2) Lex Luthor's character develops slower; he doesn't find the Fortress of Solitude prior to his Nuclear Man clone
3) We don't need a "Super Kiss" to erase Lois' memory... we allow a bittersweet ending where she knows Clark's secret, but he's chosen the path of a hero
4) Zod becomes the ultimate challenge in the story arc, with Lex Luthor being an integral part of the entire series.

There is a fabulous scene in Superman IV where Lex Luthor sells nuclear weapons to the world superpowers as Superman keeps gathering them up. I think it should be restored to the overall narrative (without the silly computer graphic portion) because it is in keeping with his character.

Improving Redeemed:

1) As little as Lenny as possible, but we do need a scene where Luthor is breaking rocks and humming Mozart (just get rid of the car/Lenny part).
2) NO JEREMY. Only Ricky. Ricky writes the letter, asking Superman to gather up the world's nuclear weapons.
3) No space cartoon "birth" of nuclear man... sorry, this is the worst "special effect" in the entire movie franchise. Utilizing the footage of the nuclear chamber, imply that Nuclear Man steps out of the chamber and is not created in the sun. Lex Luthor's interest in nuclear weapons is for $$ purposes only, as he's selling them to foreign powers.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure if it's still on youtube anymore, but a very long time ago I saw clips of a fan edit that also combined the best elements of parts 3 and 4, but instead of it ending with Lex being brought back to prison, they show Supes going back to the Kent farm and finding the green crystal. The music from S1 when Ma Kent sees teen Clark standing outside the farm is overdubbed, then Jor-el's closing speech from part 1 (Live as one of them....my only son) with various clips from all 4 movies, then cut to the "earth flyover" from the end of each film.

It definitely gave the story a more satisfying resolution, IMO.

Top Bottom