• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman Redeemed (a hybrid of III and IV by ADigitalMan)

Philfrog

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Solid would be an understatement. Considering the ambitious idea, the amount of work that would have to go into seeing it through, the number of sources and audio/video edits, and the success of the finished product, this could be considered one of the best fan edits of all time...or at least, one of the best *examples* of a fan edit. I'm no fortune teller, but if I compile a personal top five years from now, chances are that this and Thief and the Cobbler (Recobbled) will both be on it.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching this film & I have to say I'm very impressed. It did at times feel I was watching scenes rather than a whole movie, but that had do to with the fact I'd recently watched III & IV so the films were fresh in my mind.

I think what might have added to that feeling was that the film was broadly split in two with the 1st half mainly being SIII & the 2nd half SIV. I'm guessing that had to do with the plots just not going together in some scenes which is understandable as they are 2 seperate movies.

Taking everthing into account I think this film achieves what it set out to do, taking the best bits of both & making them into 1 film. So if you're the kind of person that liked certain parts of III & IV but don't want to put up with the crappy bits, this is the edit for you!

But it is hard to make a judegement on this film cause it goes much much further than the usual tweeking Edit. So for me this has to go down as one of the "best *examples* of a fan edit", rather than "one of the best fan edits of all time".

It's a shame that I had only just watched III & IV last week, it had been years since last I watched them & if hadn't I would of probably enjoyed Superman Redeemed more. Bugger. :-?

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I was a kid I may have watched parts 3 and 4 just as much as I watched the first two, but thankfully I haven't seen parts 3 and 4 probably since I'm about 9 or 10 years old (I'm 23). So I was able to watch this with an almost fresh perspective, and I loved it.

Psyklax

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's my review of Superman: Redeemed. Enjoy.

Now, I like the first Superman. Before I watched this, I could remember next to nothing of the other three, though. I watched Superman 2 (original version, not Donner Cut, haven't seen that yet) shortly after watching this, and it sucked a big load of balls. This, on the other hand, worked a lot better.
I don't remember seeing 3 and 4 at all before watching this, so I had no idea from which film the material came, nor did I have a point of reference, but popular opinion (including that of ADM, the edit's creator) seem to suggest the original source material was pretty damn bad to begin with. Having said that, I quite enjoyed this attempt.
Weaving his Smallville plot in with the rest of the film was probably the best thing about the edit: it was a constant thread that worked wonders with the flow of the movie. It never took you too far out of the movie, and was probably (so I'm told) one of the better things about the original two films. Top marks for that.
I haven't seen either the Donner Cut or ADM's Hybrid Cut, but I'm presuming the Paris bomb scene wasn't in the Hybrid Cut. I suppose it was useful to link in with the 'nuclear disarmament' angle, and personally I didn't think it was a bad scene in and of itself (others disagree, but it was one of the better scenes from the original Superman 2, I think).
At times, I have to admit, the edit seems a tad disjointed, most notably with the scratch on the neck turning Superman into 'bad' Superman. I imagine it was originally worse, but it still looks a little odd. As soon as that was over, though, things picked up again. To be honest, most of the disjointed aspects of the edit are more down to the combination of two different source films, and given that this is the case ADM's done a stellar job. The deleted scene of Luthor escaping prison was certainly better than the embarrassing alternative in the original Superman 2, but the ensuing continuity issues are distracting. Luthor's initial plans - stealing the thing from the museum etc - are very confusing, and it doesn't really work. His role in the nuclear plot is much better done.
Overall, ADM must be commended for what he's done, and it's a movie that I would certainly not mind seeing again. For all its faults, it's still a hell of a lot better than the original Superman 2, and I presume is much easier to sit through than 3 and 4 (though, as I said, I can't be certain). It was a very ambitious project, but he's pulled it off - just.

RATING: 4/5

YourMamaVideo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i am a big superman fan. i really liked the combineding of the movies...
it is so much easier to watch these now than it used to be.
it is great....well done ADM

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I must say, when I first heard of this, it raised my eyebrows. As with others, I thought "man, those are a couple of bad movies." But then I thought "I love the Smallville parts in III, though!" (plus, y'know...Annette O'Toole is in it. ;) ) So even though there was a ton of cheese in them, there were definitely good parts to them, too.

ADM has quite successfully blended the two into one quite comprehensive film. The scratch that makes Supes crazy works very well. Having not watched the individual movies a million times, I didn't notice much in the way of inconsistencies, either. I also appreciate ADM's notes on the film, which are also found on the disc.

Based on it being such a great idea, the fact that it was executed so well and that I enjoy ADM's work so much anyway, I gave it 5 out of 5. Well done, sir! :)

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched this with my 4 year old for the first time and he loved it. Proudly he's now seen the "Christopher Reeve Trilogy." He's never heard the name Gus Gorman, so he doesn't know what he's missing.

Philfrog

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I showed it to my wife, finally. Her only comments were on the comparative loudness of the prison escape, and needing a little time to connect the Nuclear Man scratch with Superman becoming a jerk. She made no comments on the Mozart thing.

Looking at it again, the only things I'd change are A) add Lex whistling in the rock yard before either the bus scene with Jimmy or the scene at the reunion, B) balance the sound (and add additional effects) for the prison escape, C) put in (create?) an additional shot of the scratch during his flight to the tower of Pisa, D) Have Superman come out of the building at a later point in Nuclear Man's attack on Metropolis, and E) spend a needless amount of time making hybrid end credits (LOL). I suppose I wouldn't announce in the opening credits that it's an edit, either, but there are probably reasons why it's good that you did that. :)

At any rate, without any of those changes, it still worked for me. However, edits like this make me wish I could make fan edits, too. Someday....

Also, I enjoy how you kept the good guys of III and the bad guys of IV...which sort of points out who the "weakest" characters were in each film.

kaine23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm highly impressed by this! I just finished watching it and loved it (I may just watch it again later). ADM continues his high-quality fanediting work with Superman Redeemed!

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's my review for ADM's Superman Redeemed;

Firstly my I say to all aspiring fan editors out there, you must check this edit out. There's a lot that can be learnt from it. I must admit I was expecting more of a highlights package but what ADM's put together works remarkably well.

I think this edit does better things for Superman III than it does for part IV. Redeemed shows you that some really good material and performance were shot for SIII, only to be degraded by the silliness going on around them. Whilst Superman IV isn't exactly rushed through here, the editing just doesn't seem as slick as the handling of SIII material.

One thing that bothered me was using the SII deleted scene for Lex?s getaway. It just seems it was used purely for the sake of utilising the footage. It doesn?t really improve the film and just creates a few small holes.

Here we have Eve bust Lex out, only for her to disappear, then when we get to Lex at the museum we have Lenny tagging along. This character hasn't even been introduced, he just appears out of nowhere. Also when Superman drops Lex back into the hands of the authorities we have fellow prisoners whistling Mozart, which is now rendered insignificant.

Just one more thought, perhaps the scene of evil Superman smashing into the oil-tanker could?ve been used, just to make him a little more menacing.

In any case a marvellous effort ADM I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Philfrog

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just figured out how to further correlate the neck scratch with Superman turning bad. Again, I haven't watched Quest For Peace in ages, so I don't know what could be taken from there, but...when Supes is putting the Statue of Liberty back, there's a nice close-up (in IV and Redeemed) of him pushing it upward, with the scratch visible on his neck. Now...when he's straightening the Tower of Pisa in the next scene (of the edit) use that same close up (from IV) to replace the first of the further shots of him pushing the tower up (from III), digitally replacing the green statue behind him with a color that matches the Pisa tower. Shouldn't be *much* harder than erasing Gus from the rock yard. ;-)

I got the above idea when I was showing the flick to yet another Supes fan, and suffice it to say, Superman Redeemed made his day.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RS available on linktalk

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With the recent wonderful release of BOOSHMAN'S SUPERMAN II REDUX edit,

and the much anticipated release of SUPERMAN SON OF JOR-EL still forthcoming,

I was jonesing for some fun Superman Fan Edit action!
So last night I threw in my old copy of ADM's SUPERMAN REDEEMED
and was once again thoroughly entertained.

Many fan edits come and go;
you download them, watch them once
and then they sit on a shelf or in a box somewhere
never to be looked at again.

But ADMs edits I often find myself rewatching.
They are for the most part, simple straight forward cuts
(though there is some clever digital removal work done in REDEEMED)
or extentions, that focus on narrative continuity and entertainment value.
They are all very entertaining.

And in rewatching SUPERMAN REDEEMED, I could not help but once again reflect
what a clever idea this edit was....
taking the best parts of Superman III and IV, and crafting a fully new storyline.
And the very fact, it works so well!

This is not perfect edit but it is a highly enjoyable one.
One can not allow themselves to be distracted
by minor things like changing hair styles or slight weight changes,
but just let the new narrative to flow.

The merging of the Paris hydrogen terrorist bomb threat
with the nuclear disarmament storyline works exceptionally well.
The creation of the Bizzaro Superman subplot was very clever.

All in all, as I said, a fun Superman romp.

REDEEMED, along with SUPERMAN EXTENDED, SUPERMAN II HYBRID CUT and
SUPERMAN RETURNS, ADM has created a tight shared universe continituity.
You can now easily watch all four movies back to back
and believe they are true sequels to each other!

So if you are a SUPERMAN FAN
and have never seen the ADM Edits,
I highly recommend them!!!

THUMBS WAY UP!!!:)

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And because the Donner Cut Redux also omits the Paris opening, this can still be watched as a companion piece.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Many fan edits come and go;
you download them, watch them once
and then they sit on a shelf or in a box somewhere
never to be looked at again.

But ADMs edits I often find myself rewatching.
They are for the most part, simple straight forward cuts or extentions, that focus on narrative continuity and entertainment value.
They are all very entertaining.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of ADM's edits. His straightforward but effective fanedits have always inspired me, and I often prefer his edits to more elaborate ones. He is my favorite faneditor.

I haven't watched the Superman edits yet. I'd have to watch the DVDs to be able remember more than the basic outlines of the plots because I haven't seen the films in ages! Thank you for the recommendation, bionicbob.

Dethryl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Absolutely amazing. Some of the seams show, but I've found seams present in theatrical releases. This is way better than anything official. I love the Lana story. At the end, Lois is still hung up on Superman, but Lana gets Clark. It's beautiful.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
With the blu-rays now released and remastered, I believe this fan edit deserves an upgrade.

Top Bottom