• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SUPERMAN PART II: An Ollie W Fan Edit

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since my initial release titled 'Superman II the Complete cut' I've continued to tinker with this film. This new version was pretty much nutted out over two years ago, however I delayed finishing it for two reasons. Firstly due to the wealth of Superman II fan cuts already available and secondly because I still had ambitions to take the edit further and possibly do a HD version. Since nothing has eventuated during that time and after receiving a few requests I decided to push it forward.

Brief Synopsis: This version of Superman II strives to be a sequel to Richard Donner's masterpiece Superman: The Movie. I've tried to use the best takes of Donner scenes to better tell his story, complimented with a greater use of Ken Thorne's score. Featuring a new opening and ending this edit simply picks up where the original left off and ends unresolved, in the sense that the sequels don't fit into Donner's universe.

Intention: Whilst I'm forever grateful that I got to see Richard Donner's Superman II, the quality of the assembly was very uneven. I made this fan edit so to hopefully provide a better presentation.

Special Thanks:
Booshman: For his continued support, feedback & granting me permission to use footage from his fan edit Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut Redux, including two shots with the planets painted out during the release of the villains & a modified shot featuring the fountains working when Superman returns the flag to the White House.
Phineasbg: For creating the Christopher Reeve dedication card as seen at the start of this film.
Red Krypton Son: For his recreated footage of the villains war on Krypton as seen when Lex and Eve explore the Fortress crystals and for two portions of audio used to add menace to the villains.
Tomahawk: For much valued support and feedback.
Neglify: For all his helpful advice and designing the cover art.

Release Information: PAL DVD-5 103 minutes

Edit Details/Cutlist SPOILERS BELOW:
When comparing the two versions I found that in the case of the Donner scenes that did feature in the theatrical release, the editing and takes used was generally better. I've long suspected that Stuart Baird (the editor of Superman: the Movie) would have been rough cutting Superman II whilst Donner was still involved. It's highly likely that some of these cuts were retained even after he was dismissed. So in many instances these scenes are presented near to or the same as in the theatrical cut. Whilst significantly shorter then the theatrical or Donner cut the main reduction in run-time is attributed to a much simplified pre-credits recap where by I've cut the trial of the three villains. Whilst a great scene, it belongs in the original movie and simply isn't needed here. Donner regularly talked up the advantage of part II being that one could simply start with a bang since we already new these characters. However his cut is bogged down with some eleven minutes of recap and credits prior to the actual film starting. Furthermore when Lex and Eve visit the fortress Jor-El goes into equal detail about the three villains and their sentencing.

KEY:
STM=Superman the Movie, DC=Donner Cut, LC=Lester Cut (theatrical)
- STM: WB logo
- New Christopher Reeve dedication card to match STM style, created by Phineasbg.
- DC: Cut trial of the villains re-cap and open the film with missile launch and Superman chasing rockets.
- DC/LC: Release of the villains. Cut out the really bad CGI and used LC shots where possible. Inserted two shots created by Booshman which paint out the fake looking planets. Removed Zod’s line "Free" and inserted green crystal shot from the LC to transition into the credits.
- DC: For credit sequence Reeve receives top billing followed by Hackman, then Brando.
- STM: DC ‘S’ logo has been replaced with the STM ‘S’ logo.
- DC: Re-scored the Daily Planet jump with Ken Thorne cue. Sound effects are recreated and the audio has been replaced for Lois screaming and the poorly dubbed Reeve with authentic takes.
- DC: Lex in prison.
- DC/LC: Villains on the moon. Ken Thorne cue used for the first half of the moon sequence. DC picture but added shot from the LC of Ursa landing in front of the astronaut rather then just sidling onto screen.
- DC: Sound effect added when Zod kicks the astronaut on the moon.
- DC: End dialogue between those guys in the control room has been trimmed.
- DC: Lex escapes.
- DC/LC: Niagara Falls exteriors. Cut Lois and Clark entering honeymoon haven. Superman rescues boy, corny dialogue removed.
- LC: Added Superman landing behind the stall followed by his explanation with Lois.
- DC/LC: Dialogue extended as Lex and Eve head north, "Ice and snow is this your idea of a good time".
- DC/LC: Lex and Eve enter the Fortress. Editing is very similar to the theatrical cut. No bickering outside the Fortress or stumbling around. Better dialogue with Eve mimicking Lex is included from the LC. Ken Thorne cue is used right up until Lex inserts the first crystal.
- DC/LC: Replaced Lex and Eve’s dialogue relating to the trees poem with the superior takes from the LC.
- New scene of villains making havoc on Krypton, scene was created by Red Krypton Son.
- LC: "No possibility for parole" is put back in.
- DC: John Williams cue added as Lex thinks out loud with toilet flush removed.
- DC: Villains landing and Ursa and the snake scenes have been joined.
- DC: Blank bullets scene.
- DC/LC: Encounter with the Sheriff features additional LC footage and Red Krypton Son audio with "holy skunk sweat" dialogue removed.
- DC: Lovers fly north.
- LC: Villains encounter with the people of East Idaho features Red Krypton Son audio playing over the first half of the scene. Cut away from "These humans are beginning to bore me" to Superman shows Lois around the Fortress, minus the green crystal being left on the floor.
- DC/LC: Television crew show up. Extended with additional LC footage.
- DC: Cut from "Where’s Superman, and why doesn’t he do something" to Superman and Lois having dinner.
- DC: Non catching rocket, then cut from "Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me" to DC Superman and Lois in bed.
- DC: Zod speech with LC audio and Ken Thorne cue.
- DC: Fall of the Washington monument.
- DC: De-powering scene with Reeve’s delivery of the line "I love her" replaced with the LC take. Also added Ken Thorne cue to make the scene a bit more emotional.
- LC: Villains fly over the Whitehouse.
- DC/LC: Villains enter the Whitehouse. Used the LC take of Ursa kicking the guy on the floor. Ken Thorne cue used when villains enter the oval office with the "ribbons and jewellery" dialogue cut.
- DC/LC: Diner scene fades into LC Clark’s trek to the Fortress.
- LC/DC: Re-powering. First half of the scene is LC, minus the reference to mother, then it switches to DC when Clark finds the crystal. Green hue is kept for the entirety of the scene. Trimmed the end part of the scene to remove unnecessary Reeve shaking.
- DC: Lex at the Whitehouse. Opens with Ursa playing with the revolving planets gizmo, thus Non's confused reaction with his toy is scraped. Ken Thorne cue plays over the first half of the scene.
- DC: Back at the Daily Planet.
- DC: Daily Planet invasion with Ken Thorne cue added.
- LC: Lex's door knob line is put back in.
- LC: "Yeah you could do with a tuck in their yourself sister" to replace inferior DC take.
- DC/LC: Tried to use LC Zod dialogue wherever possible.
- DC: Lex’s end dialogue, "You ought to have that thing fixed" is removed.
- DC/LC: Superman returns uses mostly DC footage but features Ken Thorne cue and "would you care to step outside".
- DC: "I’m not a coward Zod" audio has been fixed.
- DC/LC: Freezing the tanker with Ken Thorne cue. A few shots from the LC were needed to keep the audio in sync.
- LC: Included lady on the ground "Superman help us".
- DC/LC: Battle with Zod on the car with Ken Thorne cue added.
- DC/LC: Villains return to the Daily Planet. Mostly DC but with LC audio due to the superior Zod and Lex takes. The scene plays more like the theatrical cut which employs much tighter editing.
- DC/LC: To the Fortress. Cut the dialogue between Zod and Lex "I trust you are not wasting my time…".
- DC/LC: Like the Daily Planet scenes most of Zod and Lex’s dialogue is replaced with the superior LC takes. As a result the fortress scene is edited more like the theatrical cut which again employs much tighter editing.
- DC/LC: Superman defeats Zod with LC audio and Ken Thorne cue.
- DC: Cut Superman destroying the Fortress.
- DC: Break-up scene/Dropping Lois back home.
- DC: Back at the daily Planet (go get the pizza) scene. Re-edited to suggest Lois knows Clark's secrete but will continue to play out charade.
- DC: Return to the diner with LC audio and Ken Thorne cue.
- LC: Superman returns flag using Booshman's restored shot with the fountains moving.
- LC Fly over, DC fly bye
- DC: End titles with Ken Thorne cue.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When will this be released? Has it already been sent to the academy for approval? I'm not really up for yet another version of a Superman II Donner/Lester 'best of both' cut, but the Red Krypton Son scene's got me intrigued.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, I really like your edit ideas, ESPECIALLY the ending :) Can't wait for the release!!

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
When will this be released? Has it already been sent to the academy for approval? I'm not really up for yet another version of a Superman II Donner/Lester 'best of both' cut, but the Red Krypton Son scene's got me intrigued.
Superman Part II is completed. IFDB listing is online.

What a journey!

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
masirimso17 said:
Wow. This edit was fantastic. There were some issues in the audio (the sync issue in the blank bullets scene for example) but the video editing was top notch. The narrative was perfect and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's the best Superman II edit I've ever seen and I highly recommend it! Thumbs way up!
Wow thank you for the positive feedback! When it comes to sharing fan edits online one does it to gather feedback and share ideas.

With regards to any audio sync issues if it's an error in the original material then I'm willing to let it pass. For example the blank bullets scene is cobbled together from several screen tests and as a result it's far from perfect. However if you notice any fault on my part can you please make me aware. :)

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tylerdurden389 said:
Superman 2 was the film that got me into fan editing. It was the first film I did. As a HUGE fan of the first 2 Reeve films, I had made it my personal quest to see every fan edit of Superman 2, and see where the "best" edit ideas lie. Ollie's edit here takes quite a lot of what I feel is "the best choices". Out of the 15 or 20 edits of S2 that I've seen, Ollie's is definitely in my top 5 (including my own personal fan edit of the film).

I don't agree with every choice he's made, but after 8 years since the release of the abysmal "Donner Cut", without any word from Selutron, or any further release to right the wrongs, I'll take ANY edit that is vastly superior to either of the official releases sold in stores, regardless if I prefer "this" version of a scene than "that" one.

Audio/Video quality: Well, it's DVD instead of Blu, but in all honesty just fixing the color timing to the theatrical blu of S2 is a project in and of itself lol. A/V is fine for DVD.

Editing-wise this edit is spectacular. There's a few hiccups sure, but they can always be quickly and easily corrected down the line if Ollie chooses to do so.

Narrative: Again, I have my own choices that I prefer over Ollie, but he more than makes up for it by using "Lois knows" ending. That's EXACTLY how I made it in my edit when I made it 6-7 years ago. Just a little restructuring of the "pizza" scene, and BAM, perfect narrative structure.

One thing I didn't think I would like is the runtime. at 103 minutes, it's one of the shortest edit of S2 made. I thought it would be too rushed (like the way the Donner Cut did), but thankfully Ollie chose the right takes, scenes, and edits that gives the story and characters room to breathe. Whereas the Donner Cut just felt like a rush to get it over with, Ollie makes the short run time "fit" just right. And this coming from someone who's preferred version has always been the KCOP cut, which has the longest runtime at 145 minutes (Nearly 45 minutes longer). So for me to enjoy a really short edit of the film says a lot.

Enjoyment: I loved this edit mostly because, now that the fan editing community has had some time to "take in" the entire Superman 2 fiasco regarding different directors, different scenes, different music...etc now we have a fan edit that comes out years since the last one, and now that we've all had some time to really think things over, it really seems like, to me, we all want the same thing. And by that I mean, we're all beginning to agree with what "works best" for the film. So a lot of us are all kinda just trading off ideas and using them in each others edits.

My edit may no longer be available online, but thanks to this edit, I'm just happy that people will see what I believe is the best ending to the film. No amnesia kiss, no re-hashing the turning back time ending. Lois is fine with knowing his secret. Sure, I would've let the villains live, but those deleted scenes need to be cleaned up first.
Thank you for the great review Tyler I really appreciate it!! :)

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried leaving a review on the IFDB page but somehow it won't let me, so I'll just leave it here for now:

"I won’t go into detail with the review because that would make it long and TL;DR, so I will summarize it:
Okay so Superman Part II is an edit I've been waiting to watch for a long time since it had a high IFDB user rating, and I finally got around to do that exactly. Right off the bat I must say that I was surprised by how much improvement this light-weight edit gives the Donner Cut by using a minimalist editing approach.
I love the faster pacing, and how the edit didn't spend much time in picking up with Part II’s story. Ollie takes Lester’s superior narrative and applies it to all the Donner cut scenes, which gives it a fresh look.
The short recap feels a lot like the theatrical, and we get action from the first frame itself. I was initially put off by the lack of the Krypton Trial scene, but its removal does wonders for the pacing of the edit, and it doesn't REALLY take anything away since we get a repeat telecast when Lex learns it all from Jor-El anyway. This works well especially if you watch it immediately after Superman The Movie.
A lot of bloat have been removed in the form of chunks of dialogue, especially between Lex and Eve, the control room guys, Lois & Clark at Niagara Falls, Honeymoon Haven Tour, etc. in order to get right to the point. Even though I want to keep as much dialogue as I can in my edit I admit most of it is fat that needs trimming. Eliminating all the bickering between Lex & Eve, the dry sarcastic dialogue by Lester’s Lois as well as the two control room people shifts the focus from the weak comic moments to the action and adventure, which never disappoints. Even at Niagara Falls the edit wastes no time in showing us Superman rescuing the kid, leaving only the essential dialogue that drive the smaller subplots. And although the Donne rescue score doesn’t sound as classically epic as the theatrical’s, the sequence makes more sense, it happens faster and is more believable.
The fat trimming resulted in a narrative that is well structured and it makes it feel like I’m watching the theatrical version.
I love the ending too. It’s nice that many editors are now going with the ‘Lois knows’ angle, and a simple fix with the Daily Planet Deja-Vu scene finishes it nicely. No more magic memory kisses, no more rehashed time turning.
There isn’t much going on visually, except some color correction to bring the picture quality of the theatrical scenes up to the Donner Cut’s level, which is very well done. I didn’t even notice the transition from DC to LC a few scenes that were extended. The emphasis of all the changes in this edit are story-wise, and this is excellently executed.
One of the biggest problems with the Donner cut was the use of test footage, and this makes it into the cut in its original raw format. While visually contrasting, the film still feels complete. It doesn’t exceptionally bother me that it’s not real film footage, which is great. I wish something could have been done about the continuity errors but I can turn a blind eye to them.
I really like the takes that Ollie’s chosen for the edit, which makes it feel real & legitimate, and not a compilation of unreleased alternate takes like how the Donner cut felt.
There were some errors that I noticed with the audio, but they’re just hiccups, otherwise the editing is seamless and very very well done. There were a few moments in the cut when some of the edits didn’t make much sense to me (such as the Niagara Falls extension when Lois already figures Supes out earlier, or Non’s goofy antics with the patrol car when the dark score behind it didn’t compliment it, or removing all of Lex & Eve’s bickering but the balloon escape squabbling is left intact, etc.), but they don’t harm the film in any major way, nor does it affect the experience. Besides, what Ollie has done with the film is far better than either of the official versions we own, so that makes up for it.
Anyway in short that’s what I really like about this edit is that it cuts out all the B.S and the background stuff to focus on an action-packed (quick) flick that you can put in and press play without sitting through all the bloat.
I really enjoyed the narrative, and the story is now vastly different and moves faster, therefore making it enjoyable. This edit is one of the shortest cuts I’ve seen of Superman II, but you hardly feel it the short runtime. I didn’t feel like anything was left out or anything was lacking at the end of the credits, which was a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed watching this cut, shows how a simple approach can have such a big impact on the story of Superman II.
Editing choices between Ollie W and I may differ, but the fact that he made Superman II an entertaining flick makes it a winner."

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MWRK said:
I won’t go into detail with the review because that would make it long and TL;DR, so I will summarize it:

santana%2Blying.gif

;-)

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha honest. The original review went for about 3 pages.

p.s - ^^ oooh she's hot.

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MWRK said:
I tried leaving a review on the IFDB page but somehow it won't let me, so I'll just leave it here for now:

"I won’t go into detail with the review because that would make it long and TL;DR, so I will summarize it:
Okay so Superman Part II is an edit I've been waiting to watch for a long time since it had a high IFDB user rating, and I finally got around to do that exactly. Right off the bat I must say that I was surprised by how much improvement this light-weight edit gives the Donner Cut by using a minimalist editing approach.
I love the faster pacing, and how the edit didn't spend much time in picking up with Part II’s story. Ollie takes Lester’s superior narrative and applies it to all the Donner cut scenes, which gives it a fresh look.
The short recap feels a lot like the theatrical, and we get action from the first frame itself. I was initially put off by the lack of the Krypton Trial scene, but its removal does wonders for the pacing of the edit, and it doesn't REALLY take anything away since we get a repeat telecast when Lex learns it all from Jor-El anyway. This works well especially if you watch it immediately after Superman The Movie.
A lot of bloat have been removed in the form of chunks of dialogue, especially between Lex and Eve, the control room guys, Lois & Clark at Niagara Falls, Honeymoon Haven Tour, etc. in order to get right to the point. Even though I want to keep as much dialogue as I can in my edit I admit most of it is fat that needs trimming. Eliminating all the bickering between Lex & Eve, the dry sarcastic dialogue by Lester’s Lois as well as the two control room people shifts the focus from the weak comic moments to the action and adventure, which never disappoints. Even at Niagara Falls the edit wastes no time in showing us Superman rescuing the kid, leaving only the essential dialogue that drive the smaller subplots. And although the Donne rescue score doesn’t sound as classically epic as the theatrical’s, the sequence makes more sense, it happens faster and is more believable.
The fat trimming resulted in a narrative that is well structured and it makes it feel like I’m watching the theatrical version.
I love the ending too. It’s nice that many editors are now going with the ‘Lois knows’ angle, and a simple fix with the Daily Planet Deja-Vu scene finishes it nicely. No more magic memory kisses, no more rehashed time turning.
There isn’t much going on visually, except some color correction to bring the picture quality of the theatrical scenes up to the Donner Cut’s level, which is very well done. I didn’t even notice the transition from DC to LC a few scenes that were extended. The emphasis of all the changes in this edit are story-wise, and this is excellently executed.
One of the biggest problems with the Donner cut was the use of test footage, and this makes it into the cut in its original raw format. While visually contrasting, the film still feels complete. It doesn’t exceptionally bother me that it’s not real film footage, which is great. I wish something could have been done about the continuity errors but I can turn a blind eye to them.
I really like the takes that Ollie’s chosen for the edit, which makes it feel real & legitimate, and not a compilation of unreleased alternate takes like how the Donner cut felt.
There were some errors that I noticed with the audio, but they’re just hiccups, otherwise the editing is seamless and very very well done. There were a few moments in the cut when some of the edits didn’t make much sense to me (such as the Niagara Falls extension when Lois already figures Supes out earlier, or Non’s goofy antics with the patrol car when the dark score behind it didn’t compliment it, or removing all of Lex & Eve’s bickering but the balloon escape squabbling is left intact, etc.), but they don’t harm the film in any major way, nor does it affect the experience. Besides, what Ollie has done with the film is far better than either of the official versions we own, so that makes up for it.
Anyway in short that’s what I really like about this edit is that it cuts out all the B.S and the background stuff to focus on an action-packed (quick) flick that you can put in and press play without sitting through all the bloat.
I really enjoyed the narrative, and the story is now vastly different and moves faster, therefore making it enjoyable. This edit is one of the shortest cuts I’ve seen of Superman II, but you hardly feel it the short runtime. I didn’t feel like anything was left out or anything was lacking at the end of the credits, which was a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed watching this cut, shows how a simple approach can have such a big impact on the story of Superman II.
Editing choices between Ollie W and I may differ, but the fact that he made Superman II an entertaining flick makes it a winner."
Thank you for the very thorough and complimentary review MWRK! Much appreciate your feedback.

criscooilisbest

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:

So I pm'ed Ollie but he hasn't been online for a while... :(
I'm super stoked to see this fanfix. If any movie needed one, its this one!
I have to hang my head in shame every time I watch my paid version, I want a version that lives up to Sup 1 and I've heard that this is the version!!
Does anybody know how to get a copy of this? Thanks in advance!!
BTW the FAQ link above doesn't seem to work anymore

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
criscooilisbest said:
Neglify said:

I have to hang my head in shame every time I watch my paid version, I want a version that lives up to Sup 1 and I've heard that this is the version!!

In the three years since that quote was posted, the site has changed. It is against the rules to ask about edit availability here. If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

criscooilisbest

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
criscooilisbest said:
Neglify said:

In the three years since that quote was posted, the site has changed. It is against the rules to ask about edit availability here. If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Thanks man. Sorry, been a while since I've checked out the FAQ's and I know how careful one has to be with this particular art form (fanedits.) I'll go through all the info you linked to and use the correct channels. Cheers!

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really sorry to those who have been chasing my SII edit. I've been away from the forums for awhile but all PM's now answered. Please PM me again if I've missed anyone.

In the meantime I've actually made a couple of additional minor edits to the Ending/Go Get the Pizza Scene. Taking inspiration from Tyler Durden and Booshman. Basically I've cut the dialogue with Clark stating he will now pay for the whole pizza, but taken Lois's smiling reaction and placed it after Clark looks back at her following her comment 'you know your really super'. Pretty happy with how this scene plays now.

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crazy that I’ve done further work on this project, but I have. The obsessiveness of a fan editor knows no end. Still want to do a HD version someday.
After intending on only making a few tweaks, I ended up going through every edit and smoothing out where necessary. This is especially the case with audio editing. Without doubt the most important aspect in making a fan edit feel like a film, I’ve easily spent more time on this than anything else.

The edit now runs 3 minutes longer than my previous version coming in a tad under 106 minutes. This is mainly a result of adding back in the kryptonian trial which several reviewers expressed should have remained.

Color grading of LC footage to match DC footage has been further adjusted. Also the blue hue which was overly present in the de-powering, re-powering and final fortress confrontation has been reduced a little.

New edits to original cut list:

Added back in the Kryptonian trial but condensed the scene further than the DC did. LC audio used with Thorne score as PZ floats away. Cut to LC green crystal and transition into main credits with music edit.

‘A Richard Donner Film’ credit removed. Honestly this was only removed to allow the music edit to sync up with the credits. That said crediting a fan edit as the directors film feels wrong.

After the last credit and panning into earth, cut to Superman chasing the rocket and release of the villains. A couple of new sound effects added to the PZ, with Thorne’s music cue building up to what is essentially now the start of part II as fade to outside Daily Planet.

Lex escapes. Added in shot from LC of hot air balloon going over the prison wall. Reduced bickering between Lex and Eve over city. Very strange how nearly every scene between Lex and Eve in the DC was padded out. This was often to to the characters detriment and namely Lex’s intelligence.

Niagara Falls. Put back in shot of Lois seeing Clark without his glasses after taking them off to clean. However I’ve repurposed a reaction shot from later in the scene of Lois making a wry smirk. It’s a good pay off to the Daily Planet jump and later blank bullets scene. The scene no longer treats Lois like an idiot.

Superman rescues boy. Removed loop in music cue from the DC and some minor edits to Lois's dialogue after Superman flies away and she realises Clark isn't around as usual.

Villains descend on earth. Added in Thorne cue and new sound effect.

Villains enter small town. Isolated music to play only inside the bar. Trimmed arm wrestlers line ‘you only smell strong’ but kept ‘only because I didn’t want to loose my place in the orchestra’.

Villains battle army. Added back in several shots from the LC. Namely seeing the Jeep go through the billboard rather than the clumsy cut to the soldier getting out of the upside down vehicle. Also added in a few extra shots after Zod blows the fire back onto the building. Extending this scene means we get more of Thorne’s score which is always a positive.

Villains deface Mount Rushmore from the LC replaces the fall of the Washington monument from the DC. Whilst the villains superimposing their faces is cheesy, it still has more weight than the cheap looking shot created for the DC. Worth noting the actual miniature of Mount Rushmore was filmed under Donner.

De-powering scene features several trims to the dialogue and reordering of some lines so Superman doesn’t come off so bratty. The scene as it was had Superman saying things which felt out of character to me including; ‘and if I no longer wish to serve humanity’, ‘selfish’, ‘will there ever come a time when I’ve served enough’. With some trims and shuffling around a few lines Superman no longer seems so ready to give up his powers.

Re-powering scene. Removed clunky shot of Superman laying on the floor after getting his powers back which I felt diminished any suspense. Sound effect added as Fortress powers down.

Final confrontation in the fortress. Reworked Lex’s exchange with Zod after Zod proposes ‘kill him’. Took the line readings from both LC and DC so the dialogue doesn’t feel so choppy and to improve continuity. Swapped out DC line for LC line as Zod shouts ‘silence’.

Top Bottom