• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Superman II: The Hybrid Cut (By ADigitalMan)

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Superman II: The Hybrid Cut
Yep, like half the planet, I've done my own re-edit of Superman II using the parts I like best. Writeup from the disc:

After years of petitioning, begging and pleading, fans of Superman got what they asked for. In November of 2006, the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II finally became a reality. But it turned out the Holy Grail really was just a plain ol' cup. Sadly, Donner's Cut was so focused on removing the elements of Lester's film that they failed to acknowledge the genuine contributions Lester did make to the Superman II. Most notably, a coherent ending, not recycled from what ultimately climaxed the first film, original intent or not. Imperfect though it was, the Donner Cut did give fans what they wanted most: The long lost footage of Brando, and all the original scenes with the cast we grew to know and love, in context for the most part. In some ways, it is superior, and in others, it is inferior to the Lester Cut. The ideal cut lies somewhere in between. Thus, this fan edit merely tries to make the best story out of all the elements.

Some of the specifics of this edit:
1. Alternate version of "Planet Krypton" cue by John Williams opens the film.
2. Non kills the guard, Zod Breaks the crystal and the rings come down. Cut to:
3. Brando asking the council to pronounce judgment.
4. As Phantom Zone speeds away, Krypton Explodes and Alexander Salkind credit speeds out of this. Credits are from Donner Cut.
5. Zoom into earth cuts to the tail-fire of the XK-101 Rocket with Supes chasing it.
6. Lots of bad CGI removed. Rocket Explodes, shattering Phantom Zone from Lester Cut but with "FREE!" mixed in. Fade out as Villains fly to the moon.
7. Fade in on Metropolis Street vendor, then cut to Perry reading the paper.
8. Lois Jumps. Bad eye-beam shots removed. Awning was always open.
9. Extended Prison sequence
10. Moon, with "curl" discussion back at Mission Control. Hairdryer line cut.
11. Donner's getaway.
12. Tour of the honeymoon suite.
13. Heading North
14. Falls rescue is a hybrid of the two cuts, with Lois noticing Clark's absence reinstated.
15. Donner's version of Lex in the fortress
16. Pink Bear scene, trimmed down.
17. Heading South
18. Non picks up the snake, but only ponders it.
19. Superman takes Lois to the fortress, picks up flowers and dinner.
20. Ursa arm wrestles.
21. Dinner. No sex with Lois while super-powered. No Kryptonite condoms in this story.
22. Brando depowers Superman. Nookie afterward.
23. Donner cut for a long long time, until ...
24. "Care to step outside?"
25. Donner cut Metropolis battle and Fortress
26. Arctic Police, Smallville line removed (with a fantastic musical edit behind this whole scene)
27. Fortress NOT destroyed. Cut straight to the kiss.
28. Tearful farewell on terrace
29. Memory Kiss
30. Elevator Bully
31. Diner Bully
32. Flag Flying High, end credits.

* Plus, I've included a bonus slideshow of "Mr. Thau, Please Create In CGI Villains Rule The World Scene?" images by yours truly.

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

This sounds awesome!!! How soon before others can get their hands on this and the other Superman edit?? :)

I assume it'll start appearing in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the info. I've enjoyed ALL of your fan edits so far, so props to you and your hard work... :)

ADigitalMan said:
I assume it'll start appearing in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

Can't wait to see this edit ADM.

If someone can get a torrent going, I can help seed.

ADM, you're the most prolific fan editor working today. You're the Steven King of fan editors. You come up with some really great ideas. This one is no exception.

It's one of those things where as soon as I watched the Donner Cut I knew that it needed a fan edit. I'm glad you're the man to do it, because I know it'll be quality.

I can't wait to see it.

The Donner Cut is really just a fan edit itself, albeit with access to stuff we only dreamed of before. SII is causing scores of fan editors to pop up in the wake of the RIC and the RDC. I think it's great, because everybody's edit will be different, and suited to their own sensibilities. As it should be.

It's like the Prequels all over again, but with much better material.

ADM, it's not in your list, so it's probably not in the edit, but I thought I'd ask.

The scene from the RIC where one of the three (I think it was Non) blows up the kid trying to escape the town to get help. I heard that it was presented in decent quality in one of the documentaries on the big box set, albeit in non-anamorphic form. You didn't by chance snag that and stick that in here, didja?

Also, for anyone interested, Jack O'Halloran (Non) seems to have been answering any and almost all questions to him on the IMDb message board for the RDC: check it out here.

It's not in there. I thought about it afterward, but alas. It is in the You Will Believe documentary, and I think it's even Anamorphic. Probably telecined, but that can be fixed.

here's my Superman II Hybrid Cut review (it's a lil long, but still):

I've been a fan of ADigitalMan's work for a couple of years now. I think my first exposure to his editing work with either one of the Star Wars prequels or with the Wizard of Oz extended edition that included "Dark Side of the Moon" as an optional audio track. Needless to say, like alot of the fanedit community, I await almost every project with ADigital Man's name attached to it. If it's got ADM in the name, it's going to be an edit worth watching.

That being said, I've been a fan of Superman II since I can remember. Back in 1989 or so, I read that fabled issue of Comic Scene that had Richard Donner talking about his cut of the movie and what footage was cut that we would never see. I was hooked. I saw Superman II differently now, as I saw the released version of The Thief and the Cobbler a few years later. I re-read the script excepts over and over, and eventually lost the issue in one of the many moves I had as a "construction brat" over the years.

Enter 2005. Reading OT, I heard about Superman II: RIC. My hunt was on again. In this composite dvd of various tv airings, we see a "fuller" version of a combination of Lester footage we know, and Donner footage some of us have never seen. I quit watching my offical dvd release of Superman II to watch the RIC.

Enter "The Year of Superman". A massive dvd release is due thanks to a new Supes movie being released. One of the dvds listed is Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut. I wait in anticipation for it to be released. Of all the Superman dvds, this is the one I'm most psyched about and one of the only 2 I picked up (along with Returns). I pop it in my dvd player, and I'm in awe at what I'm seeing. It's like watching something totally new all over again. In the first 10 mins alone, I do nothing but smile at what I"m seeing. I'm actually watching footage I've only read about and was told I'd never see.

And yet, certain things didn't work. Yes, I finally get to see Lois jump out the window, but Clark is in broad day light, using his heat vision, and no one notices? Wasn't this the same test footage on the original Superman 1 dvd release? Why is he banging Lois before becoming human (tantric sex?)? Crappy cg Washington Monument falling over. He just beat the shit outta Rocky....but now he's never met him. What is going on???

Don't get me wrong, alot of good is in the Donner Cut. Gone is that retarded ass Eiffel Tower scene (but it works so well in Redeemed), as well as Lois trying to drown herself. Gone is Non having to work at making his powers like he's having puberty or something (everyone has the SAME power level as soon as they hit earth). Gone is that annoying british kid, and the shitty Hack job on dubbing Hack-man lines. We now have Brando and Beatty and Hackman footage that makes this work again. And more Mrs. Teschmacher (which is really really hot to me now). But things are still off.

As I said in my Superman Redeemed review, certain things from the Lester Cut of Superman II work better out when they're taken out of Superman II (Eiffel Tower, I'm looking at you). Now, ADM has taken the parts that do work in the Lester cut ("Care to step outside?") and what works in the Donner Cut (Brando, Hackman, Beatty & hottie Teschmacher added footage) and woven them into a better movie.

Some edits are just quick and needed (heat vision in daylight) and some audio cuts may have been in the Lester version to start off with (which I haven't watched in a while, in all honesty, so I'm not sure if the "Of couse he's Jewish" line is only in the Donner Cut). We see more with this amalgamation of Clark Kent in blue and red becoming more and more human. The Phantom Zone Criminals aren't as "uber-evil" as in the RIC (killin a kid on horseback), but they are evil none-the-less.

Most of the edits are flawless, and if I didn't know any better, I wouldn't have noticed that this was a fanedit (except for some of the Non stuff, as well as use of the Donner Cut deleted scenes, but that's how it was in the Donner cut too). Essentially what ADM has done is take the best of the Donner and the best of Lester, and made it the best Superman II as possible. And as much as I hate to admit it, mainly because I have always thought the kiss ending was retarded, it works in this version alot better then in the Donner Cut (and it sets up Redeemed).

Get this cut. I can't stress that enough. If you can't download it, I'll see if I can send it to you myself, but get this cut any way you can.

Superman II: Hybrid Edition gets my highest possible recommendation.

I'd recommend the Superman II Hybrid cut as well. There were only a couple of minor things that I found confusing to the overall story, but other than that a job well done :) .

ADigitalMan,

After downloading "Superman Redeemed" three days ago, I watched it a couple of times. Tonight I watched it with my nephews (9 and 12) who have neither one seen III or IV. They enjoyed the movie (except for the cheezy fx). I prefer your version to either III or IV separately. I would love to see your version of II but I would really like to see a version of I and II combined into one long film. What do you think?

BTW, "Superman Redeemed" was my first fan edit experience. I have your edit of Star Wars III (just having a little trouble getting it to play past a certain point but I'm figuring that out). I am downloading SWII overnight and if Episode I gets moved over to Rapidshare.com I'll grab that one, too. I think you have a good sense for editing and your versions are very professional. I can tell you know what you are doing.

Artwork for those who come directly to this thread ...

icadmsiicopyum4.jpg

Hi-res: http://rapidshare.com/files/14356807/AD ... t.rar.html

Someone should post a full review. I've seen a lot of versions of S2 by now and I'm curious how this stacks up to the wide variety of choices available to us.

tsha222 said:
I would love to see your version of II but I would really like to see a version of I and II combined into one long film. What do you think?

Well, tsha222, I am no ADigitalMan, but I am going to be doing my version of Superman 1 and 2 into one movie. I will be doing this real soon, too!

Taolar has a decidedly interesting take on combining S1 and S2 if you haven't read his thread.

Hi ADigitalMan. I just saw your edit & thought it was excellent.

Me & my mate recently watched the Donner Cut & we were having a row over the whole "He should have lost his powers BEFORE he slept with her". He wouldn't listen to reason & was convinced the Donner Cut got it right, but your edit settled the argument.

THANKS!!!!

FatherMerrin said:
Hi ADigitalMan. I just saw your edit & thought it was excellent.

Me & my mate recently watched the Donner Cut & we were having a row over the whole "He should have lost his powers BEFORE he slept with her". He wouldn't listen to reason & was convinced the Donner Cut got it right, but your edit settled the argument.

THANKS!!!!
Unless Superman had a Kryptonite condom ...

ADigitalMan said:
Unless Superman had a Kryptonite condom ...
lol, I think Kevin Smith once said this :)

Back
Top Bottom