• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Suicide Squad - Special Edition

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Friends
I have been asked a few times to tackle this movie, but I always deferred to the hope of an Ayer cut.  We finally got the Snyder approval, but have been less hopeful for the Ayer cut lately, so I decided to take a look, and ended up with this edit.

In my typical fashion, exposition gets cut drastically. The last time something is explained, is hopefully the only time it is. My intent is to leave some mystery and suspense, and not everyone needs to be a main character. I didn't know these characters besides Harley before watching, and that is the perspective I maintain. Slipknot is simply a plot device, not a main character.

Also, Enchantress is a horrible villain, so I have removed as much of her dialogue as possible to make her more menacing implicitly, and removed as much hip-shaking as possible. Hopefully this puts the movie focus less on her and more on the growth of Harley, Deadshot and Flag, the real main characters. Most of the Joker dialogue is removed when possible.

Scene sequence is also adjusted in the first half to better introduce the characters organically.

Update: Now the subtitles for Enchantress and Incubus have been replaced with a focus on building a beacon to alert Apokolips.

Initial Run Time: 2h14m
New Edit Run Time: 1h49m

1920x800 AAC 320 kbps, 48 kHz Stereo

Cut List
  • Changed Harley’s shock flashbacks to memories of early time with Joker
  • Moved Waller and Flag visit to Belle Reve to before Waller private dinner scene
  • Removed shot of June Moone arriving at Belle Reve
  • Removed Killer Croc asking Flag “aint you scared”
  • Removed Waller’s intro narration and title sequence
  • Removed Waller’s introduction of each character
  • Moved Intro of Enchantress to reveal during pentagon meeting
  • Shortened Joker intro at the club
  • Shortened Joker takeover of Van Criss Labs
  • Removed Enchantress line “Now help me build my weapon”
  • Removed close up shot of Enchantress starting her spell
  • Shortened Kitana’s intro to reduce exposition
  • Removed shot of Joker texting Harley
  • Removed Enchantress kissing to make eyeball warriors
  • Moved Deadshot scene with daughter shopping to when he sees the window display
  • Shortened Deadshot fight with Batman
  • Shortened Harley flashback with Joker and motorcycle scene for pacing
  • Shortened Harley flashback of Ace Chemicals scene to remove dialogue
  • Removed Killer Croc saying “I Like Her” about Amanda Waller
  • Removed some shots of Joker in Helicopter
  • Tightened Joker and Harley time in helicopter
  • Removed Enchantress shots of hip shaking spell-casting
  • Shortened Enchantress verbal dialogue a lot
  • Changed Harley vision from married life to flashback shots and dancing with Joker shots
  • Shortened Enchantress dialogue about magic rising
  • Removed Harley and Boomerang getting hit by Incubus
  • Removed Enchantress dialogue 
  • Removed Enchantress hand to hand fight with team.
  • Tightened final sequence with explosives and Deadshot bullet
  • Shortened Joker reveal at Harley escape
  • Shortened extra scene with Waller and Bruce Wayne

PM me for a link if interested!

This is just a personal hobby for me but I am always trying to make my edits better, so I hope for and and always welcome feedback.

PUnRcll.jpg

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Working through the Fan Edit Idea's thread to see if I can add as many wish list points as possible.

Since new movie releases are few and far between right now, I can't stop fan-editing LOL

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Working through the Suicide Squad Fan Edit Idea's thread to see if I can add as many wish list points as possible.

I loved Quickest Edit in the West's version, but wanted to go father. He was able to find footage without subtitles, so he could replace Enchantress' dialogue. However my blu ray, including the theatrical and extended versions, both have the distressed subtitles burned in. Does anyone know where Quickest might have accessed the no-subtitles version?
  • And, if I can find that blank footage, I am looking for subtitle replacement ideas to relate the Enchantress' "machine" to the impending invasion in JL. Possibly with references to calling friends from Apokolips of even specifically Steppenwolf or Darkseid specifically.  Lex already started contact in BvS, but we could have the witch and her brother.. be FROM Apokolips...? And now they are creating a beacon, for others like them from other worlds? Maybe there were more "old gods" in the past, and they are reaching out for their father? Darkseid?  Open to ideas.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you manage to remove much of the horrible incubus CGI or when El Diablo turned into stick man?

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, big change, hoping to get input here. Many reviews of the movie mention Enchantress' machine as "just another big lightning to the sky" impending doom device and not being compelling. The initial wish list by Ayer to have Enchantress building a boom tube under the influence of a mother box. I am hoping I can bring those elements back in through changing the subtitles of Enchantress and Incubus.

Right now, I have them trying to alert Apokolis since they feel they are the last of the old gods, and the machine is a beacon to do it. They also mention they do not have any boxes so they cannot open a doorway, and must settle for a beacon.

Does anyone know if this JUST COULD NOT WORK in the DC universe? Any better suggestions?

Old:
  • Sister
  • Brother
  • Brother I have freed you
  • Where are we
  • The same world only much later
  • What happened?
  • The humans turned against us
  • But they worshipped us?
  • We were gods to them
  • Now they worship machines
  • So I will build a machine
  • That will destroy them all
  • Build your strength
  • Feed on them
  • and wait for me to return
  • Brother Help Me
  • before she kills me
  • Where's your heart?
  • I will take it back
  • Until then you will share your power
  • (Now help me build my weapon)
  • Its time to wipe them out
  • Bring me my sister's heart
  • Brother
  • Make the bow to me
  • Brother!
New:
  • Sister
  • Brother
  • Come back to me my brother
  • Where are we
  • The same world, only much later
  • Where are the others?
  • The old gods are gone, we are alone
  • We must alert Apokolips
  • but... our box was destroyed
  • We cannot open the door without one
  • But I can create a beacon
  • that will reach our father master
  • Build your strength
  • Feed on them
  • And wait for my return
  • Brother Help Me
  • before she kills me
  • Where is your heart
  • I will take it back
  • Until then I will share your power
  • Bring me minions for protection
  • It is time to create the beacon
  • Fine.
  • Brother, destroy these cockroaches.
  • Noooo!!!
stferguson78 said:
Did you manage to remove much of the horrible incubus CGI or when El Diablo turned into stick man?

LOL no, no CGI effect changes here. That is definitely beyond my skills. But I think it makes sense for Diablo not to be as fully filled as Incubus - its his first time taking it that far, and Incubus has been killing people and gaining power this whole time. It also seems why Diablo doesn't have enough power to finish him off, he used to much too fast, reducing him back to human size so quickly.

Open to hearing your reasons for feeling the need to go a different way, though! I'll always try at least!

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wakeupkeo said:
OK, big change, hoping to get input here. Many reviews of the movie mention Enchantress' machine as "just another big lightning to the sky" impending doom device and not being compelling. The initial wish list by Ayer to have Enchantress building a boom tube under the influence of a mother box. I am hoping I can bring those elements back in through changing the subtitles of Enchantress and Incubus.

Right now, I have them trying to alert Apokolis since they feel they are the last of the old gods, and the machine is a beacon to do it. They also mention they do not have any boxes so they cannot open a doorway, and must settle for a beacon.

Does anyone know if this JUST COULD NOT WORK in the DC universe? Any better suggestions?

Old:
  • Sister
  • Brother
  • Brother I have freed you
  • Where are we
  • The same world only much later
  • What happened?
  • The humans turned against us
  • But they worshipped us?
  • We were gods to them
  • Now they worship machines
  • So I will build a machine
  • That will destroy them all
  • Build your strength
  • Feed on them
  • and wait for me to return
  • Brother Help Me
  • before she kills me
  • Where's your heart?
  • I will take it back
  • Until then you will share your power
  • (Now help me build my weapon)
  • Its time to wipe them out
  • Brother
  • Make the bow to me
  • Brother!
New:
  • Sister
  • Brother
  • Come back to me my brother
  • Where are we
  • The same world, only much later
  • Where are the others?
  • The old gods are gone, we are alone
  • Sister, we MUST alert Apokolips
  • but... our box was destroyed
  • We cannot open the door without one
  • But I can create a beacon
  • that will reach our father
  • Build your strength
  • Feed on them
  • And wait for my return
  • Brother Help Me
  • before she kills me
  • Where is your heart
  • I will take it back
  • Until then I will share your power
  • Bring me minions for protection
  • It is time to create the beacon
  • Fine.
  • Brother, destroy these cockroaches.
  • Noooo!!!
stferguson78 said:

LOL no, no CGI effect changes here. That is definitely beyond my skills. But I think it makes sense for Diablo not to be as fully filled as Incubus - its his first time taking it that far, and Incubus has been killing people and gaining power this whole time. It also seems why Diablo doesn't have enough power to finish him off, he used to much too fast, reducing him back to human size so quickly.

Open to hearing your reasons for feeling the need to go a different way, though! I'll always try at least!

Your idea sounds full off potential. Would Darkseid be classed as their father though? I’m not sure if the dynamics between the old gods, I know steppenwolf was darkseids uncle.

I guess I just meant that the cgi sucks & takes away from the scenes so perhaps a trim here and there where possible to minimise the negative impact, I remember that being a complaint for many after watching the movie

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I knew there was family lines with Darkseid so that was why I started there, but with more research the family tree seem pretty set. You could call Enchantress a version of Grail, but Incubus is harder to line up with any established child of Darkseid.

Better to avoid it altogether. Updated the subtitles from "our father" to "our master," that should be vague enough. Thanks for the feedback!

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update!

After awesome feedback on Reddit, I have tightened the edit a lot! It was really awesome how this particular edit got a lot of feedback, people have strong opinions about what this movie "should" have been, and it was great to get such varied input. Everyone already really liked the changes, and only had minor notes.
  • I removed a lot more "extra lines" of characters that were just not needed, I removed the Squad helicopter crash, adjusted placement of a couple minor detail scenes, and adjusted the subtitles to remove mention of boxes and minions and to basically flow better. 
  • Quickest Edit let me know that there is no "non-subtitled" version out there, they achieved the desired effect with cropping and scaling. If I can get quality 4k MP4 footage, I might try Quickest's fix and still maintain picture quality, but right now the scaled and cropped footage looks too noticeable to use for a release-quality result. So the method of over-writing the subtitles will stay in effect (No one has complained about them yet.) Right now I have a 4k MKV file from my disc and MakeMKV, but Premiere Pro needs it converted to MP4, and my Handbrake conversion keeps giving me some de-saturated results. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I - Sister
E - Brother
E - Come back brother
I - Where are we?
E - The same world... only much later
I - Where are the others?
E - The old gods are gone, we are alone
I - We must contact Apokolips
I - It is time for our Master to return
E - I can create a beacon
E - That will lead him to us
E - And this world will be cleansed
E - Feed on these humans
E - And gather your strength
E - We will need it

E - Brother help me
E - Before she kills me
I - Where is your heart?
E - I will take it back
E - Until then I will share your power
E - We can delay no longer
E - It is time to create the beacon

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watch the "Steven Price Edition" edit and while some of the changes were great, I think overall the movie feels a little uneven due to the heavy feel of Steven Price's score and the light tone of the other pop songs that cannot be excised. If I could re-foley the whole movie to use his score exclusively, I would definitely do it. But that is far beyond my abilities LOL

Also, I feel like Steven's score implies a better written movie, and I do not think even my edit can deliver. Since the villain is still underwhelming, I think the light tone of all the pop songs allows us to not look too deeply at the problems this film has, and hopefully just have a fun ride. Consequently, I leaned into the (good) jokes, and the pop songs when possible to tell the story at the expense of any exposition.

QuickestEditInTheWest

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All these ideas look great. Could even throw a line in to make the faceless canon-fodder monsters essentially failed attempts at parademons if there's enough room. Something like "I can't create demons like Desaad can but they're close enough..." I honestly haven't seen this film in years now though I'm not sure if there would even be room for something like that. Good luck!

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wakeupkeo said:
Update!

After awesome feedback on Reddit, I have tightened the edit a lot! It was really awesome how this particular edit got a lot of feedback, people have strong opinions about what this movie "should" have been, and it was great to get such varied input. Everyone already really liked the changes, and only had minor notes.
  • I removed a lot more "extra lines" of characters that were just not needed, I removed the Squad helicopter crash, adjusted placement of a couple minor detail scenes, and adjusted the subtitles to remove mention of boxes and minions and to basically flow better. 
  • Quickest Edit let me know that there is no "non-subtitled" version out there, they achieved the desired effect with cropping and scaling. If I can get quality 4k MP4 footage, I might try Quickest's fix and still maintain picture quality, but right now the scaled and cropped footage looks too noticeable to use for a release-quality result. So the method of over-writing the subtitles will stay in effect (No one has complained about them yet.) Right now I have a 4k MKV file from my disc and MakeMKV, but Premiere Pro needs it converted to MP4, and my Handbrake conversion keeps giving me some de-saturated results. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I - Sister
E - Brother
E - Come back brother
I - Where are we?
E - The same world... only much later
I - Where are the others?
E - The old gods are gone, we are alone
I - We must contact Apokolips
I - It is time for our Master to return
E - I can create a beacon
E - That will lead him to us
E - And this world will be cleansed
E - Feed on these humans
E - And gather your strength
E - We will need it

E - Brother help me
E - Before she kills me
I - Where is your heart?
E - I will take it back
E - Until then I will share your power
E - We can delay no longer
E - It is time to create the beacon

Super cool! I am looking forward to seeing this once you decide to release it.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hothstation said:
Keo,

You did a great job with this one.

Right on, thank you!!!

I will be releasing this one soon!

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wakeupkeo said:
hothstation said:
Keo,

You did a great job with this one.

Right on, thank you!!!

I will be releasing this one soon!

You are very welcome - a job well done and I will be sure to leave you a review.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hothstation said:
You are very welcome - a job well done and I will be sure to leave you a review.

Finally released! Thanks for everyone's input!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the theatrical release for the first time yesterday and you know what, there is a lot to love about this movie but boy oh boy there is no escaping that it is a bloated mess of a film.

Your ideas sound like solid ways to improve this film's strengths. Personally I plan on taking this in a different direction making it a Harley Quinn fanmix along with Birds of Prey so I'm excited to see another editors take on this. I'm going to watch the extended cut when it arrives tomorrow and then I'll be ready to watch your edit.

Good work Keo

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Your ideas sound like solid ways to improve this film's strengths. Personally I plan on taking this in a different direction making it a Harley Quinn fanmix along with Birds of Prey so I'm excited to see another editors take on this. I'm going to watch the extended cut when it arrives tomorrow and then I'll be ready to watch your edit.

Thanks bud!

I definitely took a somewhat conservative route, trying to salvage the theatrical releases in the DCEU, but not mixing them at all. Edited them in anticipation of the ZSJL release, I am very happy with the results (good stories are hidden within this franchise of bloated, exposition-heavy movies.) But I think fanmixes are the next step! I hope my edits will inspire ya!

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lots of attention for this edit lately over at Reddit due to the new James Gunn release, so I thought the cover to this edit deserved more love.

6xaD0Vo.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom