• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Suggestions on Rendering a Full Frame project as Widescreen

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all!

I'm working on a project that is full screen and 9/10 when I watch a blu ray/DVD of a full screen movie, it comes out distorted on the newer TV's because they don't have a full screen option to switch to anymore.

Would it be better to render the project as a widescreen project with the black bars already on the side to "trick" the tv into showing it properly?

Shouldn't your player still be able to output the correct aspect ratio?

Sometimes it can be a metadata flag thing you have to set manually.

I hesitate to suggest baking in pillar-boxing (top and bottom black bars are letter-boxing, the sides are pillars), but on Blu-ray I think there are only widescreen specs for HD content, though SD DVD- compliant files should be able to remain true 4:3, that's not helpful for a player and TV that don't accommodate or helpful for making something 4:3 and HD. I'm not sure about your specific case but you may need to go widescreen with black pillar bars on the sides.

I hesitate to suggest baking in pillar-boxing (top and bottom black bars are letter-boxing, the sides are pillars), but on Blu-ray I think there are only widescreen specs for HD content, though SD DVD- compliant files should be able to remain true 4:3, that's not helpful for a player and TV that don't accommodate or helpful for making something 4:3 and HD. I'm not sure about your specific case but you may need to go widescreen with black pillar bars on the sides.
Thank you! I think I’m going to do a test using both formats and see what works. I kind of got ahead of myself thinking anyone is going to write this onto a dvd. An announcement of what it is will be forthcoming, but I want to make sure things are viable before I make the commitment to this overarching project.

Hi all!

I'm working on a project that is full screen and 9/10 when I watch a blu ray/DVD of a full screen movie, it comes out distorted on the newer TV's because they don't have a full screen option to switch to anymore.

Would it be better to render the project as a widescreen project with the black bars already on the side to "trick" the tv into showing it properly?

Any examples of such TVs?

Any examples of such TVs?
My Roku TVs done have the adjustment that my older Samsung does.

Turns out that since putting out a normal 4:3 full screen file will work fine. I jumped the gun in asking.

Back
Top Bottom