• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Subtitles for fanedits (make and offer)

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Many great fanedits do not (yet) have subtitles. They help a larger audience enjoy these labors of love. So make subs for your own edits or help others by making subs for theirs! I use free Subtitle Edit (v3.5.5). Great for linear edits, and with a bit more learning curve also for non-linear edits.

To start off this thread, I completed these English subtitles for some terrific fanedits. If you got the edits before their English subs were added, just PM me for the srt files.

Avengers Age of Ultron Extended Edition
With thanks to @samspider3 .

Captain America The Winter Soldier Defrosted Edition
With thanks to @Bobson Dugnutt .

Die Hard 'til Midnight
With thanks to @Sinbad .

Dune: Deluxe Edition
With thanks to @15MaF .

For Your Eyes Only: 007 cut
With thanks to @nostromo777 .

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017, pruned ed)
With thanks to @rb .

I, Zathras
With thanks to @TM2YC .

Rogue One: Where Rebels Dare
With thanks to @TM2YC .

Spider-Man Far From Home - Expansion Edition

Star Wars: Episode I - The Ancient Lore
With thanks to @Andreas .

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (Extended Edition)
With thanks to @ebumms .

Superman Redeemed (1983, 1987, fanedit III, IV)
With thanks to @ADigitalMan . And to @Masirimso17 for bringing this back into circulation. I managed to extract the closed captions and complete those.

That Thing You Do [LP] (1996)
With thanks to @DigModiFicaTion .

You Only Live Twice: The LS Cut
With thanks to @LastSurvivor .

Neverending Story (1984, extended version)
Not a fanedit, it's the official German extended version (the blu-ray only has German subs).

On my to-do-list: make English subs for the Hobbit edit by @AdamDens Dens. If anyone wants to share the burden, let me know.

Which subs do you have to offer? Remember, this is a global community so all languages are helpful.

Last edited:
That is an awesome offer, I did the foreign subtitles for my version 1 of my Kill Bill edit so I know what a painstaking process it is to do this.  Do you have some special software to aid the process or do you do it all manually editsing the srt files? if you want a challange you could have a go at my Die Hard 'til Midnight edit I would be mighty impressed if you was able to do that with all the split screeen used in it.

I still have your bttf3 edit to watch will get back to you with some feedback in the next few days..

I use Subtitle Edit (now on v3.5.5). Long ago I just used a text editor but that is slooow going.

Srt files don't control the exact placement on screen, so for split screen I recommend using an editor that can produce ".ass" files. Videohelp.com has a thorough section on Subtitle Editors.

Here are a few ways to save time on making subs:
- Extract subs from your main feature and edit those.
- Extract subs from deleted scenes and insert them into your subtitle file.
- If your disc is missing the subtitle language you want, see if a different region disc has it (many people share them on e.g. opensubtitles.org).
- When inserting a scene, insert the complete block of subs so you only need to finetune the first timing.
- If you have no srt, ass, sub file to start with, check if there are closed captions you can extract.
- If no subs exist in your language, take a different language and empty all text fields but keep the timing. You'll still be typing a lot but at least you'll have the timing already.
- If an editor provides other-language subs with their edit, use that file for the timing field.
- Ask others if anyone has subs that you're missing!

Many players can read external subtitle files, so remuxing (while neater) is not required.

Any way of editing subtitles alongside the movie in a program like Vegas?

The Scribbling Man said:

I have no experience with Vegas, so I'll let one of its users answer this.

It would be ideal if we could link subtitle tracks to audio tracks. Then it could auto-adjust during editing. If anyone knows of such software, let us know!

The Scribbling Man said:

This video explains how to do it with a 3rd party plugin (which sadly isn't free):

It looks very powerful and easy to use. If I was going to do an intensive fanedit of a full movie with subtitles, I'd probably bite the bullet and purchase it. It appears you can use the one program to import from an srt, edit in your timeline and then either hard encode or export as a new srt.

What a splendid thread start, @"lapis molari"! If you don't mind, I'll post my offering here. Perhaps subtitles one day will earn their own forum section!  ;)

I took a different approach and focused on a single movie, Batman Begins. The subtitles below (.srt files) are also created with Subtitle Edit. If anyone wants them, just send me a PM!

Batman Begins subtitle pack
Batman Begins: Dark Cut

With thanks to @"JMB" .

The Dark Knight Saga Recut - Part I
With thanks to @"njvc" .

The following edits are from the Batman Consecution: The True Fanedit Chronicles DVD. (With thanks to @"ThrowgnCpr" for bringing it back online!) The subtitles will work (should work) if one creates an .mkv file for each film from the DVD with makeMKV (or similar). Otherwise a complete re-author of the DVD is, to my understanding, necessary if they are to be included on the DVD. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Bat Memento
With thanks to @"CBB". [No longer in the memberlist?]

The Gordon Perspective
With thanks to @"Uncanny Antman".

Inner Turmoil

With thanks to @"Kolpitz".

Sadly, I haven't been able to track down @"Paulisdead2221"'s Batman: Year One.

Edits that uses Batman Begins and other films I haven't done (except Inner Turmoil above). Therefore, Paulisdead2221's World's Finest: Batman vs Superman is not included. Neither is Adabisis's Bateman Begins: An American Psycho.

Thread moved to General FE Discussions. The Trade & Request Forum is only for requesting finished edits that are found on ifdb.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Thread moved to General FE Discussions. The Trade & Request Forum is only for requesting finished edits that are found on ifdb.

Yes, you are of course correct. The idea for this thread is to stimulate Trades & Requests for subtitles of finished edits, not the edits themselves.

To give the category of subtitles more visibility, perhaps "Subtitles: yes/no" could be added as a standard field under Release Information? That seems a logical place to me, without taking up additional space on an edit's main page.
As the forum is in English, it would be obvious that non-specified subs are in English. Anyone making non-English subs could specify the language.

I came across this study/article recently:

http://www.bokorlang.com/journal/04stndrd.htm

It gives some very specific guidelines in terms of the standard for timing/placement/font - you name it - of onscreen text. 

I found it helpful when going back and tweaking the lengths of the intertitles in my Silent edit of CFTBL, and thought it might be worth posting here. 

Worth looking at for anyone working with/interested in subtitling.

The Scribbling Man said:
I came across this study/article recently:
http://www.bokorlang.com/journal/04stndrd.htm
It gives some very specific guidelines in terms of the standard for timing/placement/font - you name it - of onscreen text. 
I found it helpful when going back and tweaking the lengths of the intertitles in my Silent edit of CFTBL, and thought it might be worth posting here. 
Worth looking at for anyone working with/interested in subtitling.

Thanks for sharing! Yes, there are several style guides for subtitles.

I notice on the page you link to that the article is written for translation subtitles instead of hard-of-hearing subtitles. That impacts how you do your subtitles.

1) When your audience doesn't understand the spoken language, it's okay to alter syntactic structures for the sake of clarity and, if needed, brevity. For a hard-of-hearing audience (many of whom can hear the audio, they just need or prefer a little visual help for their hearing), subtitles should be verbatim or else they get distracting.

2) I disagree with the recommended durations. "The minimum duration of a single-word subtitle is at least 1 1/2 seconds, however simple the word is. Less time would render the subtitle as a mere flash on the screen, irritating the viewers’ eye." You won't be able to keep subtitles timed with the spoken words! If you abide by the maximum length of lines and the brief time-gap between subtitles, your subtitles will fall behind the dialog. That can only work if you truncate the translation to keep up.
The minimum duration I use for very short sentences is 1 second. For single words I will go as short as 0.8 seconds if they're crammed between other lines.

A small consolation remark to all subtitle makers: don't despair if your subtitles sometimes run longer, or spread over three lines (much less problematic on a large screen with a 2.35:1 movie with black bars). One example that doesn't work for me, even though they stick to the subtitling conventions, is the TV program Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. I normally watch TV with subtitles, I find it easier to follow everything that's said. But Oliver speaks so fast and his verbatim subtitles are in sync with his speech, that I cannot keep up reading his words. I have to turn off the subtitles or else my brain gets distracted from trying to both hear (fast) and read (slower) the words. It's not HBO's fault, I just can't read fast enough.

Aside from creating subtitles for edits which lack them, it might also be useful to translate those subtitle files that have been created already. I speak fluent Spanish so am happy to translate existing subs. I'm sure there are other multilingual editors here who can do the same for other languages too.

@"That One Guy", there was a user a few years back who wanted a version of godsmacked with spanish subs. i'd be willing to re-encode the edit with hard subs for a spanish-language release if i had an accurate translation. not sure how well some idioms would translate, but the majority of the dialogue would be easily translatable, meguesses. let me know if you'd consider putting yourself through such torment, in which case it would be your, ah, cross to bear.

thanks to @"lapis molari" for creating a subs thread.

ssj said:
@"That One Guy", there was a user a few years back who wanted a version of godsmacked with spanish subs. i'd be willing to re-encode the edit with hard subs for a spanish-language release if i had an accurate translation. not sure how well some idioms would translate, but the majority of the dialogue would be easily translatable, meguesses. let me know if you'd consider putting yourself through such torment, in which case it would be your, ah, cross to bear.

thanks to @"lapis molari" for creating a subs thread.

Well, with a pun like that on display, how can I say no? :D PM me the text and I'll get it done for you, shouldn't take more than a few days...

That One Guy said:
Well, with a pun like that on display, how can I say no? :D PM me the text and I'll get it done for you, shouldn't take more than a few days...

Great work @"That One Guy" !

For anyone else who's fluent in multiple languages, but unsure how much time this would cost, remember that translating existing subtitles is much faster than creating the first set. You don't need to sync them or match them perfectly with the spoken dialog, because the existing subtitles already take care of that. So put your language skills to use and help make great edits available to even wider audiences!

On that note, @"ssj" , PM me the subtitle file too and I'll translate them into Dutch. Send it as an .srt file, then I can replace your English with the translations in their correct time-codes. That way you won't have extra work afterwards. :angel:

That One Guy said:

coolio, man. :) i'm working on a version 1.1 (a few dialogue tweaks), so i'll get in touch with you when i'm done.

lapis molari said:
On that note, @"ssj" , PM me the subtitle file too and I'll translate them into Dutch. Send it as an .srt file, then I can replace your English with the translations in their correct time-codes. That way you won't have extra work afterwards. :angel:

thanks for the offer, LM. however, my subs aren't of the .srt variety; they're burnt in via final cut pro. each of the ~600 subs exists as its own element in my FCPX timeline. (it seems one can import an .srt file into FCPX, but there doesn't seem to be a ready way to do the opposite, i.e., generate an .srt file from FCP subs.) i could do the same as for the spanish version, which is create a whole new encoding in dutch. that would avoid the visual clutter of having dutch .srt subs superimposed on burnt-in english subs.

but would there be an audience for an exclusively dutch version? it seems many dutch speakers have a solid command of english.

ssj said:
That One Guy said:

coolio, man. :) i'm working on a version 1.1 (a few dialogue tweaks), so i'll get in touch with you when i'm done.

lapis molari said:

thanks for the offer, LM. however, my subs aren't of the .srt variety; they're burnt in via final cut pro. each of the ~600 subs exists as its own element in my FCPX timeline. (it seems one can import an .srt file into FCPX, but there doesn't seem to be a ready way to do the opposite, i.e., generate an .srt file from FCP subs.) i could do the same as for the spanish version, which is create a whole new encoding in dutch. that would avoid the visual clutter of having dutch .srt subs superimposed on burnt-in english subs.

but would there be an audience for an exclusively dutch version? it seems many dutch speakers have a solid command of english.

You know what? In for a penny, in for a pound and all that - if I'm translating the subs for you I might as well make an SRT along the way. That way instead of multiple hardcoded versions, you can have a hardcoded English subs version and an "international" version with no hardcoded subs and standardised SRT subs available (I can do English and Spanish versions, and share the English SRT with @"lapis molari" so they can create a Dutch version, and from there who knows where we end up...)

That One Guy said:
You know what? In for a penny, in for a pound and all that - if I'm translating the subs for you I might as well make an SRT along the way. That way instead of multiple hardcoded versions, you can have a hardcoded English subs version and an "international" version with no hardcoded subs and standardised SRT subs available (I can do English and Spanish versions, and share the English SRT with @"lapis molari" so they can create a Dutch version, and from there who knows where we end up...)

This! This is why I so enjoy FE! It's not just about presenting your edits to others. This community wants all edits to be the best they can be. Your own and others. Helping, inspiring, and sometimes prodding, fellow editors to make their edits even better. :)

dudes, you guys are great! i’m grateful for the offer of time and effort. 

but. . . there are reasons i’d rather not use .srt subs for my edits. since my edits are sub-intensive projects, i’m super-particular about how the subs are presented.

some of the things .srt files can’t do:
— use a specific font
— italicize specific words in a subtitle
— allow certain subtitle positioning “tricks” that i use to present subs that appear line by line.
— position occasional subs in non-orthodox positions

these necessary presentation features are easy to pull off in FCP X, in which each sub is its own element.

even the more sophisticated sub formats, such as .ass and .ssa, aren’t able do what i want them to do. plus, these formats aren’t as widely recognized by devices and players as the fewer-frills .srt.

so as much as i appreciate your offers of both translation and sub file creation, i’d prefer the difficulty of rewriting and re-encoding the edit in other languages than using a sub file.

but seriously, you guys are awesome! would love to see and deploy your translations.

Back
Top Bottom