• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Subtitle-friendly DVD authoring app?

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For my latest project I'm adding some subtitle tracks for the first time on the DVD, but I'm finding Adobe Encore - which I have used in the past - a nightmare to work with when it comes to subs. :mad:

Online searches have revealed a host of problems experienced by other Encore users too.

So I was wondering what other DVD authoring apps other faneditors have used that are subtitle-friendly?

I have .srt files, which I can pre-convert into whatever format the app needs.

Adobe Encore uses a specific type of file for its subtitles. To get your .srt file converted, load it on Subtitle Workshop, then go to File > Save as..., and select Adobe Encore DVD as the output. The resulting file will be Encore compatible.

Dwight Fry said:
Adobe Encore uses a specific type of file for its subtitles. To get your .srt file converted, load it on Subtitle Workshop, then go to File > Save as..., and select Adobe Encore DVD as the output. The resulting file will be Encore compatible.

Yes this is true, thanks for the comment.

I also discovered that - inexplicably - Encore reads the subs on an NTSC project with a 30fps timecode, not a 29.97 one, causing a mysterious drift out of sync over a period of several hours. Something about frames versus dropped frames or something - the technical explanation doesn't matter. What matters is the problem is not even hinted at in the Encore documentation and I just happened to stumble across it in a forum somewhere. So I re-saved the subs in Subtitle Workshop as 30fps and it fixed the drift. [note: Dwight, in those Spanish subs you are doing for me on Dune at the moment please don't do that fps conversion I've just mentioned - I'll do it myself when you're finished - thanks!]

Now at least I'm making some progress...when Encore doesn't crash, that is.

In the meantime I've been looking at DVD Lab Pro 2.

Back
Top Bottom