• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Subtitle Apps

esloudan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone know of a good subtitle app that can auto generate accurate words. I have one but its kinda lame cause it acts like it don't know English very well. Like one movie the guys name is Caleb and it uses Calvin in subs. Words r always wrong or missing.

I very much doubt a flawless speech-to-text app exists. Humans are better at recognising what people are saying because we understand the context and don't have to rely on just the sounds, but even we make mistakes. An app can give you a useful starting point, but you'll always need to proof-read it.

It kinda sucks I have a paid sound to speech app and its horrible at auto subs. Im trying an online version of another thats let's u check it over before u save. I had an awesome one back in the windowsxp days but no updates and gotta go through hell to start it up now.

Veed.io could be useful - the free tier allows 30 mins of autosubtitling per month, but limits you to exporting 10-min clips with the subs hardcoded. The paid accounts don't have a limit and allow exporting the subs in various formats.

More importantly for me, they appear to support multiple languages. If the language engine has been trained adequately for Castillian Spanish, this might be the way for me to complete a preservation project I've had in mind for a while.

Just posting back in here to say that I did a test with a free account on veed.io and not only is it adequately decent with Castillian Spanish - it actually has several options for Latin American Spanish based on country, which is a welcome surprise.

I'm not sure what NLE you are using but Vegas pro 19 has a plug-in for speech to text and close captioning. I am not sure if this will work for movie audio or just audio through your microphone. When i get five minutes i'll have a play around with it.

If you upload to YouTube, it will usually auto-generate subtitles but sometimes it won't. Can't figure out how to force YouTube to generate subs on my video. When it does that they are usually pretty good (besides censoring slurs) and you can easily download them.

Try putting the language of the video to English, than go to subtitles and add Auto-sync, this sometimes works, but i have found out, if the video is longer than a hour and a half, Youtube's subtitles program will just not work most of the time.

Okay, I figured out how to make subtitles for a fanedit. At first I tried Whispher AI (same guys as Chat-GPT) and while the captions were very accurate, the timings were not (text stayed too long on screen).

So next I used Adobe Premiere Pro. This worked surprisingly well. I think any piracy links are not allowed, so I'll just say that I installed Adobe Premiere Pro 2023 (v23.4) Multilingual and then Adobe Speech to Text v12.0 for Premiere Pro 2023. This worked for me but there are different versions of Premiere Pro and Speech To Text so they might not work sometimes. Next, I followed the tutorial (YT: New Captions in Premiere Pro 2021 - Auto Transcribe Your Videos) and generating subtitles was really simple and fast. Premiere Pro gives you SRT file with timings.

Now there may be a problem because Premiere Pro doesn't read MKV files, just MP4 and some fanedits use MKV. To fix this you have to install ffmpeg and then use command "ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c copy output.mp4" to very quickly turn MKV into MP4 without quality loss. Then you can generate the subtitles using Premiere Pro and MP4 file.

Back
Top Bottom