• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Stuttering Splices After Authoring

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The splices in my fanedit are smooth in the rendered, encoded .m2v file. But when I drop that file into DVD Lab and compile the DVD, there are slight stutters around the frames that I spliced. Why would the source file be smooth but the authored DVD has stutters? I thought a big advantage of DVD Lab was that it does not re-encode source files, and so I don't understand why the authored footage is showing stutters.

Has this been discussed before? I couldn't find anything by searching.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, did a little searching and a little experimenting and solved the problem. I needed to close the GOPs.

I am using the method from Boon's guide - http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?2493-Boon-s-guide-to-fanediting-with-Sony-Vegas

and then using The Film Machine with HC Encoder to encode the output from Vegas. The Film Machine has an option to open or close the GOPs with HC Encoder. Changing from open to closed GOP fixed the stutter problem in the authored DVD.

It would be interesting to know why the stutter showed up in the authored DVD but not in the encoded source file, if anyone can explain it. It's a mystery to me.

Top Bottom