• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Stranger Things

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tk251 has a edit in the works called stranger things: the vanishing of will bryers

quote="The Scribbling Man" pid='298404' dateline='1513943503']
Alfie thebossman said:
So now that the Blu-Rays are available, is anyone gonna make a fan edit of ST? A TV - Movie perhaps?

I believe there was someone who had a TV to Movie Edit of the first season in the works... Not sure where that's at now.
[/quote]

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Alfie thebossman said:
So now that the Blu-Rays are available, is anyone gonna make a fan edit of ST? A TV - Movie perhaps?

I believe there was someone who had a TV to Movie Edit of the first season in the works... Not sure where that's at now.

Tk251 has a edit in the works called stranger things the vanishing of will bryers

Alfie thebossman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
gazza said:
The Scribbling Man said:
Alfie thebossman said:

Tk251 has a edit in the works called stranger things the vanishing of will bryers

Thanks a lot guys, I'll have a look around.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rewatched Season 2 in preparation for Season 3. Without rabid excitement to blind me, I was better able to recognize all the various tiny imperfections this time around.

I really hope Nancy & Jonathan are finally demoted to background characters. They're so tepid, it's a cure for insomnia to watch them on-screen.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Rewatched Season 2 in preparation for Season 3. Without rabid excitement to blind me, I was better able to recognize all the various tiny imperfections this time around.

I really hope Nancy & Jonathan are finally demoted to background characters. They're so tepid, it's a cure for insomnia to watch them on-screen.

I liked Nancy and Jonathan.

My favorite is Steve though. Love how he's not a cliche jerk boyfriend and actually really grows as a character. And the bromance between him and Dustin is fantastic.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, those Russians.

Suffice to say, I loved Stranger Things 3. It was far more cohesive than Stranger Things 2, and I even quasi-liked Nancy & Jonathan again.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Oh, those Russians.

Suffice to say, I loved Stranger Things 3. It was far more cohesive than Stranger Things 2, and I even quasi-liked Nancy & Jonathan again.

Agreed.  I felt ST3 maintained an internal tonal consistency that ST2 lacked, and while I've never been fond of Jonathan, Nancy has redeemed herself (from being dull in ST2) nicely.  That said, both ST2 and ST3 go a bit too hard in the fan service department for my tastes, but ST3 was a lot more fun.  Very happy with this season's installment of the Steve/Dustin roadshow, but Max's development is going too slow for me.  I like what's happened with her character so far, but... it's been two seasons with her, and this is all we see?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finished watching season three last night.

And I must say this Stephen King/Steven Spielberg love child did not disappoint.

Exceptionally entertaining.  Since I was the same age as these characters in 85, I found the nostalgia, stylings and homages delightful and authentic.

Though it does play like an 80s threequel, (both for good and ill) as it lacks the intricate deep character explorations or world building of the first two seasons, with the trade off being more relationship pay-offs, more fast paced thrills and more...much more...comedy.

Though there is one true resonating scene that hit me hard, as Will struggles to come to terms with growing up and his changing relationship with his friends, he destroys his childhood fort in a fit of rage, sadness and confusion.  It is a powerful, painful moment.  One I think most of us can intimately relate to or even remember experiencing.

And that is one of the things this series continues to do so fantastically well.  As much as this is a sci-fi horror story, it is also a coming of age story.  And growing up can be scarier and more traumatic than any Mind Flayer.

And then there was this scene.... a moment of pure perfection or jump the shark...?
For me?  Perfect.  Absolutely perfect.

Overall, a very fun third season.  Not as good as season one, but better paced than season two.  It is a season that rewards those that have been there since the beginning.   And yes, the final 10 minutes will make you cry.

Highly recommended.:D

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I must say this Stephen King/Steven Spielberg love child did not disappoint.

Overall, a very fun third season.  Not as good as season one, but better paced than season two, it is a season that rewards those that have been there since the beginning.   And yes, the final 10 minutes will make you cry.

Highly recommended.:D

Agreed with the quoted portion, and most of the rest of the post (except I was born in 86, and I have some feelings about that song scene that get deep into spoiler territory and even with spoiler tags I don't want to talk about it and possibly be the guy who ruins a moment from the ending for anyone here).

Regardless, this was remarkably well done and there are very good reasons this is "the" high-profile Netflix show.

Things I don't mind talking about with spoiler tags:

New characters
How about that actor who played basically Russian Arnold Schwarzenegger? What a supremely intimidating dude, hope he gets more work.
Alexei was charming. "I like strawberry, too". "They're not rigged!"
And Billy was better than season two, I cared about him by the end, which I didn't think was possible.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Daughter of The Bride!!!!

The best addition of season three for me was the character of Robin.  
She is played by Maya Hawke -- the daughter of Ethan Hawke and UMA "my eternal teenage crush" THURMAN!!!

A fun montage of Robin's scenes -- TONS OF SPOILERS -- so beware....  :p

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I binged the first two seasons in late June and then watched Season 3 the day it came out. I thought it was excellent. All three seasons were great.

Octalus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have to do a rewatch of the older seasons but this might be my favorite one so far. Really loved the mall setting and what they did with certain characters. The only issue I had was that the storylines felt too seperate and didn't really mix well together. You jumped from an emotional scene to a funny scene to an action scene and so on. I think you could edit each storyline into one episode up until they all meet at the mall. The last episode is great as it is and I wouldn't change a thing.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
aahhhhh.... New Coke... such memories!

Though if I am to be honest, I preferred Jolt Cola!   :D

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally finished season 3.

I know I'm going against the majority here, but I really didn't like it. There were elements and "moments" that I liked, and maybe 2 whole episodes that I thought were decent, but overall I found it to be a huge disappointment. Honestly, the writing is just not at all of the same calibre as it has been. It relied far too much on dialogue-heavy exposition, paid too much fan service and on occassion drifted into "Ready Player One" territory - which is just lazy 80's homaging.

Some of the characters felt off, the humour was overcooked, there was no real intrigue/mystery, I didn't feel it brought anything new or interesting to the world of the upside down - in fact I'd argue it detracts, even contradicts previous things that have been established. There were emotional moments that were unearned, too much show AND tell - not enough subtlety/letting the audience out the pieces together, rehashing previous plot devices etc. Honestly, for me it just sucked. I don't get how it can be compared to what's been before.

Also
Hopper dying just didn't work for me and didn't make sense. Was it really necessary? What did it do for his arc? What did it do for arc (other than re-traumstising her by having another love interest killed off?), what did it really do for Eleven? The letter to her was Contrived, and didn't feel like something he actually would have written at that point in the series, especially as it was something he was going to read out to her AND bfnfnf.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Late night work and insomnia sessions resulted in a massive binge of this series. Season one felt like a fantastic X-files offshoot and I really enjoyed it. I don't really remeber season 2 to be honest. The breaking up of the fellowship was odd, but the connections of the characters in new ways was intriguing. The plot felt pretty recycled though. Season 3 was massively over the top for me, but the last scenes of the party and the voice over was pretty beautiful and accurate to real life.

What I loved: the character relationships and nostalgia factor of the show. Season one's implied horror vs overt gore.

What I didn't love: The TMI scenes of teenage love and lust and the increasing gore as the seasons progressed. By the end I felt like I was possibly watching a resident evil type film. Some unresolved impact beyond the party themselves.

I'd love to think that Hop jumped through the gate at the end before Will's mom closed the gate and that he is the unseen American in the post credit scenes. There is obviously another gate opened somewhere for that demogorgon (sp?) to be present.
While i enjoyed much of this series, I'd have to do an amendment edit approach to this series if I return to it in the future.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
The Duffer Brothers' final film school project, which they wrote and directed: 

The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this. Most of the actors are ham sandwiches but I like the lead. The bookends was a nice touch. Some of their instincts are on display here, such as in the first scene where the locker door opens. We know from watching movies something bad will be behind there when it closes but they let the scene breathe to the point where you're lulled into a false sense of security. This moment has a nice connection with the end, as well.

This was really cool, cuddlyninja, thanks for sharing!  Totally agree with your thoughts on it.  I didn't love the writing, but it's a very competently directed piece for a student film.  A lot of Stranger Things is already seen here, even with the opening titles.

jswert123456 said:

This video was amazing.  Nailed it.  Saved, and I'm watching with every Charlie Brown Christmas.  Thanks, jswert!

Hero said:
Without the creature effect of the first season they lost a bit of charm but I really think they added a lot of substance to the characters. I think the Chicago episode was just so out of whack with the rest of the series. It felt like it was just there to set up wherever they plan to take it next year. Hopper felt really out-of-character this season, I didn't really understand his actions and he came off really abusive.

I agree, Hero.  I thought S2 was almost as good as S1.  People seemed to be down on it a bit once the surprise of the initial season wore off, but you're right, it was much deeper.  I totally got where Hopper was coming from, though.  From what we saw of his character, how could he react any other way?!  He already had a daughter and lost her, and the stakes are so much higher with Eleven.  He's terrified.  And when Hopper is terrified, he fights.  He's coming from a place of love For Ellle, though, and he wants to protect her.  I thought it was a very touching story arc.

Masirimso17 said:
Duragizer said:

I liked Nancy and Jonathan.
My favorite is Steve though. Love how he's not a cliche jerk boyfriend and actually really grows as a character. And the bromance between him and Dustin is fantastic.

One odd criticism I have of the Duffer Brothers is I think they may listen to the fans too much.  There was a huge audience response to Steve's turn as not-such-a-bad-guy in S1, so they turn him into a genuine big brother in S2.  Ok, nice, but then in S3 it's just completely over the top to a new level.  Also in S2, you liked Erica?  Great, 500% more Erica in S3!  You guys missed Barb?  Ok, here's new Barb: Robin!  Oh, you missed having one big central threat in S2?  Ok, we're gonna give you a new, worse bully who will turn out good, and a new, bigger badder central monster! 

Some people accused S2 of being more of the same and unoriginal, but S3 was waaaay more guilty of that.  It became far too goofy and lost all the tension for me at a lot of points.  I hope they tone it down in S4 and stop adding in more and more and more characters...it's spread too thin for these short seasons.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

I thought for sure it would be hard to make this series feel fresh again, then I watched this and now I'm anxiously waiting. The hallmark of this show is the groupings, and this grouping has some awesome potential!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched that earlier today, the 003/004 title is an interesting one as there are btwo children prominent in the trailer. Are they Eleven's predecessors?

Top Bottom