• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Stranger Things

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is anyone else watching this? 

The wife and I watched one episode last night...then had to start the next one. I would have kept going if I could stay awake. We were both into it from the first few minutes.

The tension wire that is snapped to taut ten minutes in hasn't let off since. The soundtrack and score are a pleasant mix, for me. I thoroughly enjoy both. I think that so far this show is what Super 8 could have been. 

Instead of rebooting an old movie, it is nice to make an original story using elements that invoke nostalgia of a time period or more specifically films about the time period. Many nods to Spielberg and King works abound but none feel forced or shoehorned.

Winona Ryder does what she does best and the child actors are decently natural. I'm not familiar at all with the creators/directors, the Duffer brothers, but I'm impressed so far. The composition is usually really compelling, they strike the balance between referencing some great things without being slavish to the style (*ahem* Super 8 *ahem*).

Cannot wait to watch the rest of this. Limited series tend to interest me more, when there are 8 episodes to tell a story they don't muck around or set up potential future installments. I can tell from the first two the story is cruising along; I like that.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually haven't started it yet but it's on my list in the next few weeks. The thing that struck me immediately upon viewing the trailer was how 80's Spielberg it felt: ET, Goonies, etc. much like Abram's Super 8 a few years back. I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

Here is the trailer in case anyone is interested.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Winona Ryder does what she does best

Stealing every scene?

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
thecuddlyninja said:
Winona Ryder does what she does best

Stealing every scene?

Haha yeah, actually. She plays controlled hysteria (and plain hysteria) so freaking well. She nails every scene in the first two episodes, for me.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
4 episodes in. So far, this is the show of the year for me. Loving it.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Show looks great. Been itching to watch since it came out but haven't had the time.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Stealing every scene?

Oh man. I'm so dense sometimes. I JUST got what you meant by this. Damn that was a long time ago and I haven't thought about it in ages.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got done with the last episode.
Great show, storytelling quick and to the point.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pretty enjoyable. the atmosphere evoked the '80s pretty well, though for those who came of age afterwards, i hereby testify that the synth pop that typified the '80s wasn't the only available music back then.

the plot isn't new. see the twilight zone, lovecraft, silent hill and others for antecedents. still, the execution was more than competent, and the D&D connection definitely added geekstalgia points. and i greatly enjoyed ryder's unhinged mom character.

felt the E.T. vibe everywhere. particularly in El.  ;)

but did anybody notice
barbara was forgotten rather quickly. oh, well.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
other than emotion from Nancy,   her disappearance was forgotten,
I read the directors created a trailer out of 25 different 80's movies
and the kids did auditions with scenes from Stand by Me.

kvg1988

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Deadly show, I loved it. So who's going to take a stab at editing into a 2.5 hour movie? :p

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
other than emotion from Nancy,   her disappearance was forgotten

Do you mean by other characters or by the show itself? Because they definitely closed that loop by 

showing her dead body and having Eleven say "Barb...gone"

kvg1988 said:
Deadly show, I loved it. So who's going to take a stab at editing into a 2.5 hour movie? :p

Oh, I've been running some calculations through my head the last few days and will likely do this after I finish my Drive edit...if somebody isn't working on it first!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
kvg1988 said:

Oh, I've been running some calculations through my head the last few days and will likely do this after I finish my Drive edit...if somebody isn't working on it first!

Own the Source still applies with Netflix btw. There was discussion about this in a Daredevil thread. So, you'd have to wait for a DVD/Blu release to make anything legit.

/backseat mod

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
thecuddlyninja said:
kvg1988 said:

Own the Source still applies with Netflix btw. There was discussion about this in a Daredevil thread. So, you'd have to wait for a DVD/Blu release to make anything legit.

/backseat mod

Oh, I know. I don't expect to finish my Drive edit for a few months, and I'd be surprised if this doesn't hit disc before then. Plus I prefer BDs for the highest quality source files regardless.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm just saying, don't hold your breath. Daredevil S1 is still only available through streaming.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I'm just saying, don't hold your breath. Daredevil S1 is still only available through streaming.

Damn, that's pretty disappointing. I've been really busy lately so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I could always finish my alt audio NBK or something. There's no hurry.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool, so we can look forward to a non-US home release of Stranger Things in 2018 or so.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not necessarily. Some of Netflix's other shows have had fairly prompt DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The number of original Netflix shows that are only available on 'flix outweighs how many have gotten proper home releases. It's a solid business model actually; keep the majority of shows streaming-only to get more subscribers, release the flagship shows on home media to show people what they're missing if they don't 'flix.

Top Bottom