• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek STRANGE NEW WORLDS

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am Praying that SNW gives us some Trek, and tries to tell stories which are a mirror on today's issues. Do they have the courage, imagination and writing chops to pull it off.? Like I said, I pray, but my expectations are low. Let' hope they don't infantalize the audience, spoon feed them dumbed down derivative PC adventures and not widen their horizons.

Here are some planets they could visit and spin a yarn around.....Please add you suggestions. Would love to see what you all think.

Let's visit planets with:
- A gender fluid species that change gender 4 times in their lifespan (and the change is overnight, and unpredictable)
- A species that cannot tell the truth
- A culture where no-one EVER meets face to face (reproduction by DNA banks and surrogates who are the rulers, if you are not pregnant, you are not in office)
- A culture so polluted, lives are lived in BIO SUITS
- A Soylent Green culture (was sorta done)
- A slave planet, but actually get into it like STC did with Lolani
- A culture where people live forever and have no children
- Any misdomeaner means execution by the state
- One where everyone has a clone for sprare organs, and the clones have no rights (my fave idea so far)
.....OOOO to difficult and controversial.....

Any more ideas out there?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm really looking forward to returning to the story-of-the-week style Trek. I liked the story arc in DS9 (and to some extent Voyager, although they didn't do a very good job with it). I'm much less a fan of the Discovery and Picard arcs. DS9 did a good job of continuing their stories-of-the-week while also building the larger story in small bits, fleshing out the world and letting characters grow slowly over the years. Voyager continued their stories-of-the-week and mentioned every episode that they were trying to get home, but for the most part it was just lip service and the characters were mostly static throughout the series. Discovery and Picard try to tell a single story over the course of the season, and while they do accomplish that, for the most part they fail at making each episode stand on its own, and even with a full season to build their stories, they tend to have exposition heavy first and second-to-last episodes, plodding middles, sudden character developments, and action heavy finales. I have still mostly enjoyed the new series, but they aren't as good as TNG/DS9, and arguably not as good as VOY.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nothing there to disagree with. I suppose TOS should get a mention in that, YUP, episodic, period!. Do we see character growth, not really, other than Spock being a little emotional in the pilots as they fleshed him out. As far as quality is concerned, season 1 and 2 are far better than season 3 when Fred Freiberger took over Production and some real silliness happened (even now, I can't bring myself to watch Plato's Stepchildren again). Most people hate Spock's Brain, and yet I loved it when I first saw it. The one thing TOS pulled off better than any other series IMO is comedy; it felt natural and unforced (bar Quark/Odo). I would have loved to have seen Assignment Earth (Gary Seven pilot) go to series. And on silliness, lets not forget that awful TNG/ Douglas Adams crossover when the Pangalactic Gargleblaster got a mention at 10 forward. AWFUL.

I hope the writers for SNW are up to the task, I can't fault the casting, but let's see if they can top The Orville, which just got better and better as they toned down the ascerbic comedy idiom and the scenarios were often bang on point.

So back to Planets to visit.... Any ideas out there?

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TOS remains the most human of all the series to me. TNG feels like a corporate office at times, but its characters are among the best in the franchise. DS9 is closest to capturing that feeling I get when I watch TOS, and I'm frankly not much interested in the other shows. If I hear enough good things about Strange New Worlds, I'll give it a try, but I'm not holding my breath.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fun!

While not the best Trek pilot ever, it is easily the most confident and feels the most wholly formed right out of the gate.

Anson Mount leads a very likeable cast, which is very quickly introduced, defined and feel like real characters immediately.

And wow! How refreshing to have a full story told in a single episode again. How I have missed that.

A solid opening episode that left me smiling.

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was completely unaware of this series, but Bob's assessment is promising.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I went into this with too high of expectations after hearing the great reviews, but I did still like it. Pilots are hard, and they did a pretty good job of telling a self-contained story and introducing characters. It felt a little rushed, but I'm glad they didn't stretch it to a two-parter. My only issue was that it made no sense for Spock to be brought on the away mission since they knew there would be problems, and they only did it because the plot required it for the end of the mission. I also thought the stuff about the "Second Civil War" was a bit heavy handed, but I also think it's funny that the producers put it in there (including the Hang Mike Pence gallows!) knowing that the "NuTrek is too political!" people would lose their minds. I love the new interiors, which are slightly updated from what we saw in Discovery (presumably, part of the refit it was getting in spacedock). And I am incredibly jealous of Pike's house!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the pilot last night and after Picard this show was refreshing. I agree it got a tad preachy but to be honest we kind of need it right now. And as @bionicbob said the show felt confident and, most of all, fun. While I do love serialized shows it will be nice to get back to an episodic format for this one.

recordwrangler95

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fun!

While not the best Trek pilot ever, it is easily the most confident and feels the most wholly formed right out of the gate.

Anson Mount leads a very likeable cast, which is very quickly introduced, defined and feel like real characters immediately.

And wow! How refreshing to have a full story told in a single episode again. How I have missed that.

A solid opening episode that left me smiling.
I'm really excited for this show now. I'd heard good things and Bob's opinion just clinches it for me.

I haven't watched any of Discovery past the first episode but is there potential in there for a "prequel movie" fan-edit given that I hear SNW is a spin-off?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched any of Discovery past the first episode but is there potential in there for a "prequel movie" fan-edit given that I hear SNW is a spin-off?
I'm not sure. The parts of the Discovery plot that this follows on from are the last three episodes of Season 2 ("Through the Valley of Shadows" and "Such Sweet Sorrow" Parts 1-2). That alone has a feature runtime, but it's not really enough of a full plot to be a "movie" on its own. It's possible you could cut the whole season into a movie, but unfortunately I think big chunks of Pike's story would have to be cut to make that work, which is the opposite of what you're asking for.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it me, or is the opening credit theme sound like it is from a lesser fan production?

Plus...the timing of the text (to my eyes at least) feels WAY OFF!..

Views?

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure. The parts of the Discovery plot that this follows on from are the last three episodes of Season 2 ("Through the Valley of Shadows" and "Such Sweet Sorrow" Parts 1-2). That alone has a feature runtime, but it's not really enough of a full plot to be a "movie" on its own. It's possible you could cut the whole season into a movie, but unfortunately I think big chunks of Pike's story would have to be cut to make that work, which is the opposite of what you're asking for.

Maybe a prequel miniseries that focuses on Pike, Una, and Spock and trims the Disco characters as much as possible?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Second episode "Children of the Comet"... excellent. Pure classic Trek!

Not perfect mind you. A wee bit too comedic for my tastes. And perhaps one too many modern references.

But the allegory was spot on. If you know a catastrophe is coming, do you get off you ass and do something about it or just say it is all part of a greater plan. I think the show walked a nice line.

We learn more about Uhura in this one episode than in 60 years of Trek. Her musical talent is a nice connection to the Uhura we know from TOS.

And so many nice original design production nods... to the spacesuits, the shuttle exterior and even Uhura's writing pad.

Fun stuff! (y)

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved the second episode while I was watching it, but after thinking about it a little bit over the past few days, it was actually just a pretty standard, mediocre Star Trek episode, but with great special effects and modern cinematography/score. It's exactly what I've been wanting!

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotta say...I love it. It's very refreshing to get back to Star Trek after the last several series. The second episode is classic Star Trek.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Episode three "Ghosts of Illyria"

Another solid episode. Last week the focus was on Uhura, this week it is Number One's turn.

We get two classic Trek tropes in this episode; a mysterious outbreak on the ship and crew members stranded on a dangerous planet, and both are done very well. The pacing in this episode is top notch. And we get some very interesting and surprising character revelations. I only had one minor plot point nitpick, otherwise a exceptionally strong story. šŸ‘ šŸ˜Š

Bored at 3:00AM

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For my money, this is easily the strongest opening of a new Star Trek show since the Original Series. Most of the shows took a couple seasons to find their footing, but this show seems to know exactly what it is right off the bat, perhaps because it is trying to harken back to an earlier kind of storytelling we haven't seen in a while.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
episode four "MEMENTO MORI"

...and with this episode I go from really enjoying this series to fully falling heads over heels in love with it!

This is the Horror/Disaster/Submarine Thriller episode.... and it is PERFECT.

Gripping narrative structure. Fantastic pacing. And incredible performances all round, but in particular from Anson Mount.
This is Star Trek EXCELLENCE.

Easily and by a significant margin, the best episode thus far of the Paramount Plus Star Trek era.
And perhaps, even, Top Ten worthy of All Time Trek episodes....?

Last edited:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
episode five "SPOCK AMOK"

Shore Leave meets Journey to Babel... sort of...

This is basically the character relationships/comedy episode and it works really well.
The humour rises from the character dynamics, so it feels genuine and not like a Sitcom.
We get some wonderful insights into our heroes personal lives, while at the same time there is a nice subplot about a new civilization being invited to join the Federation.
There is an incredible recreation of Vulcan from Amok Time!!! And they play the classic music!!!!
I think this is the first episode where they refer to Kyle as "Chief"? So this confirms he is a Noncom and explains why is uniform is so different. We also learn that all the junior officers are terrified of Kyle... which is hilarious.

A very solid, enjoyable episode.

Top Bottom