• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) 2021 polls are here for all 11 categories.

STRANGE NEW WORLDS

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am Praying that SNW gives us some Trek, and tries to tell stories which are a mirror on today's issues. Do they have the courage, imagination and writing chops to pull it off.? Like I said, I pray, but my expectations are low. Let' hope they don't infantalize the audience, spoon feed them dumbed down derivative PC adventures and not widen their horizons.

Here are some planets they could visit and spin a yarn around.....Please add you suggestions. Would love to see what you all think.

Let's visit planets with:
- A gender fluid species that change gender 4 times in their lifespan (and the change is overnight, and unpredictable)
- A species that cannot tell the truth
- A culture where no-one EVER meets face to face (reproduction by DNA banks and surrogates who are the rulers, if you are not pregnant, you are not in office)
- A culture so polluted, lives are lived in BIO SUITS
- A Soylent Green culture (was sorta done)
- A slave planet, but actually get into it like STC did with Lolani
- A culture where people live forever and have no children
- Any misdomeaner means execution by the state
- One where everyone has a clone for sprare organs, and the clones have no rights (my fave idea so far)
.....OOOO to difficult and controversial.....

Any more ideas out there?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm really looking forward to returning to the story-of-the-week style Trek. I liked the story arc in DS9 (and to some extent Voyager, although they didn't do a very good job with it). I'm much less a fan of the Discovery and Picard arcs. DS9 did a good job of continuing their stories-of-the-week while also building the larger story in small bits, fleshing out the world and letting characters grow slowly over the years. Voyager continued their stories-of-the-week and mentioned every episode that they were trying to get home, but for the most part it was just lip service and the characters were mostly static throughout the series. Discovery and Picard try to tell a single story over the course of the season, and while they do accomplish that, for the most part they fail at making each episode stand on its own, and even with a full season to build their stories, they tend to have exposition heavy first and second-to-last episodes, plodding middles, sudden character developments, and action heavy finales. I have still mostly enjoyed the new series, but they aren't as good as TNG/DS9, and arguably not as good as VOY.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nothing there to disagree with. I suppose TOS should get a mention in that, YUP, episodic, period!. Do we see character growth, not really, other than Spock being a little emotional in the pilots as they fleshed him out. As far as quality is concerned, season 1 and 2 are far better than season 3 when Fred Freiberger took over Production and some real silliness happened (even now, I can't bring myself to watch Plato's Stepchildren again). Most people hate Spock's Brain, and yet I loved it when I first saw it. The one thing TOS pulled off better than any other series IMO is comedy; it felt natural and unforced (bar Quark/Odo). I would have loved to have seen Assignment Earth (Gary Seven pilot) go to series. And on silliness, lets not forget that awful TNG/ Douglas Adams crossover when the Pangalactic Gargleblaster got a mention at 10 forward. AWFUL.

I hope the writers for SNW are up to the task, I can't fault the casting, but let's see if they can top The Orville, which just got better and better as they toned down the ascerbic comedy idiom and the scenarios were often bang on point.

So back to Planets to visit.... Any ideas out there?

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TOS remains the most human of all the series to me. TNG feels like a corporate office at times, but its characters are among the best in the franchise. DS9 is closest to capturing that feeling I get when I watch TOS, and I'm frankly not much interested in the other shows. If I hear enough good things about Strange New Worlds, I'll give it a try, but I'm not holding my breath.

Top Bottom