• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Steel of Man fanedit poster, feedback desired

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heya,
I'm one of those people that really craves feedback when it comes to static artworks. I've been designing this for my Man of Steel edit.
Please tell me what you think,

Kob5nTg.jpg

To be honest, I can't help but think that people assume there are free tools for this kind of thing. I feel like maybe people assume I typed some text into a 3d text generator or something. Maybe nobody realises that every section was hand crafted, every single rivet was individually placed. it's not a font, it's individual craft. Lines on the superman silhouette were hand placed with paths. Every face in the crowd was individually placed from a gallery of AI generated faces. There's not many decent crowd photos in google.
I don't know what people think, I guess all over the internet, art is generally taken for granted. Can anyone relate to that?
I just get this way when it comes to this kind of art, sorry, can't help it.

Last edited:

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't feel too bad about the poster. I've seen posters on this sight that don't have nearly as much style.

My issue is that bottom fifth of the poster has a different tone to it than the rest of it. It might play better if you get rid of the clouds, make it the same shade of blue as the rest of the poster, & add in more photos at the bottom.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't feel too bad about the poster. I've seen posters on this sight that don't have nearly as much style.

My issue is that bottom fifth of the poster has a different tone to it than the rest of it. It might play better if you get rid of the clouds, make it the same shade of blue as the rest of the poster, & add in more photos at the bottom.
Brilliant, thank you so much!! ^^
It's such a relief to hear your feedback too.
I see what you say about the bottom. I made it a reflective table for the text, also to light up the letters with the blue ambiance. I can do a few renders though and use some masking and put the faces as a reflection.

guymid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done, it's nice. The contrast between the blue and yellow is effective. I agree that the bottom part detracts from it. Just the words over the photos would be better. I'm also not sure about the bevel around Superman. Perhaps it would be cleaner with nothing, or a simple black border if you need a border.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done, it's nice. The contrast between the blue and yellow is effective. I agree that the bottom part detracts from it. Just the words over the photos would be better. I'm also not sure about the bevel around Superman. Perhaps it would be cleaner with nothing, or a simple black border if you need a border.
Thank you so much, that's really helpful! I initially put the bevel as it's supposed to suggest that this is a hole punched through the backdrop. I haven't communicated that well though, so I will definitely reconsider that bevel. I'm also playing with making the 'table' transparent rather than solid blue, so that should tie into the backdrop better.

guymid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you so much, that's really helpful! I initially put the bevel as it's supposed to suggest that this is a hole punched through the backdrop. I haven't communicated that well though, so I will definitely reconsider that bevel. I'm also playing with making the 'table' transparent rather than solid blue, so that should tie into the backdrop better.
Sounds good. I look forward to seeing it :)

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, here is the new layout based on feedback here and on facebook.
One question I have is, should I just delete the surface from below the text entirely? I have ensured it's reflecting the backdrop but the text is obscuring that in the reflection.
6BZKmyd.jpg

Last edited:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, here is the new layout based on feedback here and on facebook.
One question I have is, should I just delete the surface from below the text entirely? I have ensured it's reflecting the backdrop but the text is obscuring that in the reflection.
6BZKmyd.jpg
This is a huge improvement already. But yes I would get rid of the extra background/reflection.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a huge improvement already. But yes I would get rid of the extra background/reflection.
Thanks! Okay, here is without the reflective floor. Do you think this looks better?
I'm actually not sure.
WxM5tB9.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For the intent of making a movie poster title, when the rest of the poster already has a graphic/artistic element, I'm of the opinion you should keep text from becoming too graphical and distracting from your main image. I think the reflection pushes the title over the line from text to graphic. Tldr, Works better without.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gotcha! Thanks, that's incredibly helpful! I find that I seem to have forgotten most of My design learning recently...
I'm feeling pretty good about this now then.

Just need to do a little bit of balance and layout now. The title is too wide and almost touches the edges. also need some very subtle framing. I doubt that will be noticeable to most people though, it's mainly a subconscious thing. Done. Maybe this is sorted now? Maybe!
mtooA8x.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The reflective floor would work as part of like a title screen in your edit or a trailer, somewhere where the title itself is the full focus

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah thanks, that's a really good point, yes. I have had some thoughts about doing a small animation, because I really love the work I did on those letters.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is great! I think what also helps is that the people in the background are now looking at something ahead of them & comes across as more natural, rather than creepily staring into the viewer's soul.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That looks great! Excellent work. I completely get how much effort that you may have put into those letters. I might still put a bit of a drop shadow. Less than you have on Superman.

Top Bottom