• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Starship troopers: RAW re-edit

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice. send it to me as soon as you are done, please.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
24722098fv0.jpg

I am currently authoring this to DVD. So I thought it should also have a cover art. My first impression after watching the first 20 minutes: it works well without the satire, without the news and without the love story. Pure bug war.

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Taking a satire and turning it into pure action and fun. Nothing wrong with that if you can make it work. From what boon23 says, it sounds like you have. Kudos. :)

kaine23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished watching this and enjoyed it. Being a fan of the original I kept track of this fanedit's progress and jumped on the torrent once it was posted. If this was voodl's first fanedit I give him props for turning ST into what it should have been- a gritty Saturday afternoon war movie, plain and simple. The dvd cover art boon23 designed is great too- a Mobile Infantry helmet with bug claws coming out of the top.

I found no issues with any of the audio, but the editing of some of the video was off. There was some video skip in scenes that were edited from previous ones, or where scenes were removed. The dvd menu and scene selection screens were very cool, and I liked the music for them (what was it from?).

Only other issue I found IMO, was removing Rico's talk with the Sgt (their former teacher) during the nighttime downtime scene. To me, I would have kept that in seeing how it parallels his talk with Rico at the prom, and later at Diz's funeral.

Quick question though, what was editted out during the Brain Bug capture anyhow?

In all, I give this a thrilling 4 stars, one removed for the non-seemless scene editing. This is a great fanedit to have if you enjoyed the original film.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow. nice review.
the music I used for the DVD menu is all from "Nine Inch Nails"

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for review! Four stars is more than I've expected.

Quick answer:You mean marching scene? I dont remember that I've cutted there anything..... some missing frame maybe ( missing frames was nightmare for me during editing Fifth Element, bad frames also....but I've solved problem)......

Night camp scene? Well I'm rather intuitive editor, I'm not calculating that some scene I leave or cut..... and you maybe right.....

I want to thanks to Boon for whole work he did for me (authoring, converting to ntsc, creating cover and menu, uploading and seeding).... you rokz!!!!

kaine23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
From what I remember you took out Rico's talk with the Sgt (his former teacher) when the Sgt reminded Rico of his question to him at the prom. After that was the dance and the Rico/Diz sex scene. O_O As I thought, it would have been good to leave that in, then scene jump since it reflects on his talk at the prom, and later mentioned at Diz's funeral.

It did look like there was a frame/scene skip during the Brain Bug capture with the video jump. I can't remember now what was there either now and I can't find my copy of the dvd to check, lol.

One the main reasons I did this too is since I've seen the movie enough times (dvd and on FX) I remember most of it and was able to do a proper review, plus the stuff taken out is one the main things some remember of the film (the news casts, etc).

DragonAngel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
THe original movie wasn't very good, so voodl had a lot of work to do here. I think changing this into a Nazi film did work very well. (I'm not pro Nazi, but the book sure feels like it)

Thanks for taking out the painful romance! Too bad you can't add in the cool powersuits they have in the book.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*morbo agree*

;)

Heinlein's book is very controversial with some great ideas....and far better than movie........

Cheato

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I voted based on the improvement over the original. Also, a few days ago, I posted a longer comment in the Comments section for the database thing on the regular site (outside of the forum). Sorry, not sure what to call that section...

Seriously, this is one of the best fanedits I've seen. A few small technical glitches, yeah, but in terms of just the movie-watching experience, this was far, far, far more enjoyable than watching the original that pretentious "liberal" thinkers like to point to as one of those movies that "if you don't like it, it's because you just don't get it." You know what? I got it. I didn't like it.

Voodl, you did a great job salvaging what was worth keeping, and excising the stuff that wasn't, and you wound up with a decent final version that I can recommend to other people. Thanks!

kaine23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any chance this will be redone to fix the audio and video problems of version 1?

kaine23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So the version listed on the site is the new one (rather then the one I reviewed?)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the version up on rapidshare is 2.0 with repaired audio and far improved image quality.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
so which version is the torrent?

i'm going to take the opportunity to review it instead :)

this edit rocks. it is awesome. total action - no lame romantic weirdness that totally goes against the novel (you guys should read it, too.). and one of my favorite fan edits. this brings the movie from a C+/B- to an A- for me and is really enjoyable.

thanks voodl

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i just reviewed this in another thread. i give it 4 stars.

(but more like 4 1/2 stars)

i'm OK with glitches and flaws as long as it doesn't take me out of the movie experience.

kaine23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I edited the topic to reflect that I reviewed ver 1.0 of this fanedit.

Top Bottom