• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Stargate

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I haven't read an of the TV-continuity SG1/SGA/SGU books, I did read all of Bill McCay's sequel novels to the original movie. They are quite different from what we got on screen, and it's a pretty interesting look at another way the franchise could have gone. Interestingly, they were released about once per year from 1994 (including the novelization of the movie) through 1999, well into SG1's third season!

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
we can only hope its a continuation of the different series and not a complete remake

SATShfrVHkTe7fv8a7t1ZgGi2_o=.gif

I'm a lapsed SG-1 fan. As far as I'm concerned, that universe is played out, and I have absolutely no interest in anymore stories set in it. I want a hard reboot, one which draws more from the original film, it's novelization, and Bill McCay's five tie-in novels. Just keep Roland Emmerich far, far, far away from the director's chair.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really hope Amazon brings back the franchise, and I want Wright to be involved. At this point, I think the best way forward is to expand the SG1/SGA/SGU crossover movie into the first few episodes of a new series, introducing new characters to take over at the same time, and then let the old cast stop in for occasional cameos over the next couple of seasons to really pass the baton in a meaningful way.
Oh I agree 110%, BRAD WRIGHT , along with Martin Woods and Peter Deluise, would be amazing to help with a Continuation Relaunch.

I think there is a wealth of mythology to still play with and plenty of room for new directions and growth.

I think the new show should focus primarily on a fresh new cast and a new threat/mission but with classic past cast members in either supporting or recurring roles. The one thing I personally want to see more than anything else is having Carter back full time as the head of Stargate Command or Homeworld Security. :)

Hopefully, in the next few months we will get a statement one way or the other. Gateworld is a great resource for the current info and has wonderfully kept the flame burning for the the fans.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just read this article. People don't like Stargate the movie?! I loved and still love it. It's limitations made it all the better as they couldn't go into the overly fantastical visuals. I remember watching SG-1, but always felt it had that hokey sci-fi TV vibe that I could never get into. It's hard to take a show series that the actors don't seem serious about acting wise.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just read this article. People don't like Stargate the movie?! I loved and still love it. It's limitations made it all the better as they couldn't go into the overly fantastical visuals. I remember watching SG-1, but always felt it had that hokey sci-fi TV vibe that I could never get into. It's hard to take a show series that the actors don't seem serious about acting wise.
I agree! I always loved that movie and still do. It's one of my favorites for certain.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I missed sharing this yesterday.
Gateworld said:
Tweet Event! Stargate Fans Are Rallying Amazon and MGM For A Revival
The latest “tweet event” organized by fans of the franchise will focus on flooding Amazon and MGM with positive Stargate messages this Wednesday, July 27. That’s 25 years since “Children of the Gods” first made its debut on Showtime in the United States … and more than 11 years since our screens went dark on Stargate Universe. Those who wish to participate on Twitter or across all of social media should use the familiar hashtag #WeWantStargate.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

I really enjoy the original movie. It amazing the epic feel and look they achieved on a smaller budget.

SG-1, while it is true the humour increased in the later seasons, which is natural with many long running shows, there are many, many, MANY very serious, even dark, episodes. And even when there was was humour, it was mostly situational. It rarely descended into parody and imo the actors always stayed in character and treated the material properly.

I compare the style and tone as being very similar to the current Star Trek series Strange New Worlds. Though SG1 was far more serious in it’s first year.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points

This video does a good job highlighting Stargate's bad astronomy, which I consider one of the film's major flaws. He doesn't touch on SG-1, but most of his criticisms apply to the series, too.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gateworld just ran this story about 10 Things the Stargate TV Show Changed From the Movie. I would absolutely love to see a continuity cut of the movie to rectify some of these issues. Some changes that could be made are:
  • Deefake re-cast actors to use their TV actors' faces
  • Re-dub audio to change the mountain to Cheyenne to match the series
  • Re-dub audio to change Abydos being in the "Kaliem Galaxy" to "Abydos system" (or some letter-number code for the Earth name before we knew what they called it?)
  • Re-dub Shau'ri to Sha're
  • CG fix Jack's son's name from Tyler to Charlier in the trophy seen on screen
  • I actually like the joke later on that Jack's last name changed from O'Neil to O'Neill so I'd leave that
  • CG to add a DHD to the gate room on Abydos
  • CG to replace simpler movie gate with better-looking version from series
  • Replace wormhole effects with series version
  • Replace audio effects with series versions
  • CG young Daniel from "The Gamekeeper" to replace baby Daniel in the photo Catherine shows him
  • And the trickiest part, don't remove the "last of his kind" part of Ra's back story since it's retconned on screen anyway, but replace the alien face imagery and try to incorporate some Goa'uld imagery instead.

Top Bottom