• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Stargate

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seasons 7 and 8 of SG1 are my favorite of the series. I did watch all of SGA, but it never really drew me in like SG1 did.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seasons 7 and 8 of SG1 are my favorite of the series. I did watch all of SGA, but it never really drew me in like SG1 did.
Seasons 7 and 8 are fantastic payoff seasons for fans who had been with the series since the beginning.

Atlantis took a full season to win me over, but once the show hit the epic "The Siege", I was in baby!!! lol

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished a mutli-year watch through ending with Moebius last week. I always enjoyed and watched the first few seasons, but sort of drifted away from the show on its original run and only came back in Season 7, so I didn't really experience the show in the best of terms. After finishing, it was a good show and one I will always enjoy, though I enjoy the more earnest early seasons to the more comedic and story heavy later seasons.

I might rewatch 9 and 10 at some point, but to me it feels like such a different show I decided to move onto other things for now.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CYJRxu2m.jpg

STARGATE SG-1
seasons 9 and 10....

Originally planned as an all new spin-off to be called STARGATE COMMAND, once again producers plans had to be re-imagined when the Sci-Fi Channel renewed SG-1 at the last moment.

The tone of the show became slightly darker and heavily serialized. It essentily went from being an exploration show to an ongoing quest adventure. A new, more powerful villian was introduced -- the ORI!
This was a brillaint move by producers. After battling False Gods for 8 seasons, to have the team face off against actual Cosmic Gods, raised the stakes considerably.

With the departure of Anderson, two Farscape alum joined the team Ben Browder as Col. Mitchell and Claudia Black as Vala Dorn. Black was fantastic addition. Her chemistry with Shanks brought a new energy to the show. Browder was a solid (if somewhat unexciting) reilable element to equation... the ulitmate fanboy now in charge of his dream team.
Hollywood legend Beau Bridges became the new SG General and Lexa Doig the new base doctor.

Seasons 9 and 10 were highly entertaining and proves a long running series can be revitalized with the right creative changes. However, even though ratings were decent and the storyline still rich with potential, SG-1 was cancelled at the end of season 10, with plans to switch to Direct to DVD movies.

FLWruIEm.jpg
LrYFkcpm.jpg

STARGATE ATLANTIS
seasons 4 and 5...

As I mentioned before, SGA always felt like it was a show being tinkered with by TBTB.
At the end of season 3, fan favourite Dr. Beckett was killed in the fantastic episode "Sunday". He was later resurrected through cloning as a recurring character for seasons 4 and 5.
Beckett was replaced by Jewel Staite, formerly of cult favourite sci-fi series FIREFLY.

Dr. Weir was turned into a Replicator and replaced by Colonel Carter for the fourth season. While it was great to see Carter again, it never felt like the writers knew exactly what to do with her since they already had McKay as their resident super-genius.
For season 5, Carter was replaced by Woolsey, which was a brillaint addition to the series.

Season 5 ended on a cliffhanger, with Altantis now on Earth. It was not renewed for a sixth season.

Though SG-1 ran twice as long, was more successful in the ratings and had a larger fan base, I would argue pound for pound, SGA was the stronger written series. Despite all the behind scenes changes, Atlantis produced richer character development and smarter, tighter, rewarding story arcs.

A great series that deserved a longer run.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did the tv movies for SG-1 come to fruition?? Did Atlantis ever get closure?! This is such a down note to leave us on, Bob!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
STARGATE SG-1
seasons 9 and 10....

Originally planned as an all new spin-off to be called STARGATE COMMAND

STARGATE ATLANTIS
seasons 4 and 5...

As I mentioned before, SGA always felt like it was a show being tinkered with by TBTB.
That constant tinkering is part of why I don't like the show as much as SG1. I like each season on their own, but the series as a whole just feels so disjointed and aimless because of that constant tinkering.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That constant tinkering is part of why I don't like the show as much as SG1. I like each season on their own, but the series as a whole just feels so disjointed and aimless because of that constant tinkering.

For me, the tinkering added an unpredictability factor which made it more "unsafe" than SG1, thus keeping the show dynamic and fresh.

As for SG1 season 9 and 10, as I stated, to me, it felt like a revitalization rather than tinkering.

But I can definitely see your point of view. Particularly with Atlantis, as I think the producers wrote themselves in a corner very early on in their conceptualization of the Wraith and Pegasus Galaxy, and it took them a season or two work themselves out of it.

Last edited:

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oops I forgot to actually write my comment about SG1 Seasons 9-10!

I actually DO like those seasons, because in my mind they actually ARE the proposed spin-off Command. I think in general they would have been better received if that was the case. Maybe somebody here who's good at video editing could whip up a new SGC credits sequence! Along the same lines of thinking, if the last couple of seasons of The X-Files had been a spin-off with Dogett and Reyes instead of just being more of the original series, I think they would have been better liked.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q5MQgYMl.jpg

STARGATE UNIVERSE (2009-2011)
created by Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper

SGU was a complete and radical tonal shift from SG1 and SGA in terms of both visuals and storytelling. Visually, it was basically nuBattlestar Galactica... dark, gritty, hand held camera styles. Storywise, it was very character driven drama, with no Big Bad, and morality was more grey.

When it came to greenlighting the show, it came at a price. Sci-Fi Channel and MGM could no longer afford TWO Stargates series in production at the same time, and it was cheaper to launch a new show than renewing contracts for a 6th season of Atlantis. So goodbye Atlantis.

And I have to admit this may have soured my initial feelings towards SGU, as I loved SGA.

While I thought the two hour premiere was amazing, I found most of season one very bleak and incredibly slow paced. But I stuck with it and I am glad I did, as season two was a vast improvement. And I was very excited for a third season. Unfortunately, it was not to be. The Sci-Fi Channel cancelled SGU, and for the first time in 17 years, there would be no new Stargate adventures to tune in to....

Ui1RJuLm.jpg

STARGATE: THE ARK OF TRUTH (2008)

A direct to DVD movie that wraps up the ORI storyline from SG1. Continuity wise, it takes place after SG1 season 10 but before the SGA season three finale.

A quest to find an Ancient's Macguffen to save Earth and the galaxy from the Ori. It is a very familiar Stargate story trope but it is executed perfectly.

The movie has a sense of epic scale and encroaching jeopardy. All our heroes get a moment to shine and there is some real emotional weight for many of the characters, such as Vala, Tomin and Adria.

A great movie and a satisfying conclusion.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Ark of Truth was the perfect finale for "SGC".

I liked SGU well enough, but it never really met its full potential. To me, it felt like Star Trek: Voyager filmed as if it was Battlestar Galactica and slammed into the Stargate ahem universe. The characters sounded good on paper, but the writers kept wanting to make up interpersonal conflicts where none belonged, and as a result it was basically everybody either being insubordinate to Young, or being mad at Rush (who was an asshole but also was right 99% of the time). They were finally getting into their groove at the end of Season 2 when the plug got pulled prematurely.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree 110% with your assessment @asterixsmeagol on SGU. That first season after the pilot movie was a real slog for me. The nuBSG mandated tone/aesthetic really felt at odds with the franchise. Luckily this began to soften considerably in season two and I actually began to like these characters but then cancellation.

While I would have loved a one more season of SG1, as I think the Ori were still very rich in story potential, the Ark of Truth was a fantastic way to wrap it all up.

One more post to go, to wrap up the Stargate history, what could have been and current status for the future....

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm really hoping the one good thing that might come from Amazon buying MGM is a new Stargate series.

And don't forget Continuum!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And don't forget Continuum!
hvJGdEmm.jpg

STARGATE CONTINUUM (2008)

The second in a planned line of Direct to DVD movies, this one is a Time Travel adventure. (Brad Wright loves Time Travel!!!)

Mixed feelings about this one.
On the positive side, it is fun adventure with excellent production values, we get closure with B'aal and a cameo by O'Neill.
On the negative, it feels a bit like a retread of the season 8 "Moebius" and because everything is reset back to status quo by the end, it is sort of pointless.
To me, if you are going to do Stargate Movies, they should do something BIG that moves the Franchise Forward.
Though the next planned movie would have done exactly that, but then the Direct DVD market collapsed and MGM's financial woes began.

To be continued....

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched half of the first season of SGU some years back. One of my pet peeves with the SG-1verse is the anthropocentrism, and SGU did a good job moving away from that crap to showcase some genuinely interesting aliens. But that's that long and short of everything I liked about the show.

drvrjon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
as soon as my rewatch of sg-1 finishes i am going to watch atlantis and universe both for the first time ever

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
as soon as my rewatch of sg-1 finishes i am going to watch atlantis and universe both for the first time ever
When SG1 and SGA aired concurrently they did have minor crossovers and references to each other which I always enjoyed.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
igUA963l.jpg

STARGATE

...final musings.....

The Stargate franchise essentially ended back in 2011 not due to fatigue or even bad ratings, but a combination of SyFy Channel politics and MGM financial instability.

After the DVD movies Ark of Truth and Continuum, a third SG1 movie was planned. It was going to be O'Neill centric, with the plot about the Gate Program going public. It was going to be called STARGATE: REVOLUTION.

When the cancellation of Atlantis was announced, a movie was planned to resolve the season 5 cliffhanger. Essentially it was a reworking of the two part season six premiere. It was to be called STARGATE: EXTINCTION.

Upon learning of the upcoming cancellation of UNIVERSE, Brad Wright pitched a movie to crossover characters from all three SG shows to tie up all the loose ends. The Powers That Be passed on the idea.

Atlantis lead actor Joe Flanigan secured international investors to lease SGA from MGM for additional seasons, with plans to move the production to Europe. The deal collapsed in the final hours due to MGM financial implosion.

Emmerich and Devlin were heavily promoting a new feature film trilogy, that would ignore the tv shows, and continue from the Kurt Russel movie. But after the box office failure of Independence Day 2, they went silent on any future SG projects.

There have been some comics and novels that have tried to continue the SG Saga, they all met with varying levels of success.
There were attempts to expand the brand into video gaming with projects like Stargate Worlds and Stargate Unleashed. But in both cases, the developing gaming companies went out of business.

In 2017, MGM launched the streaming platform STARGATE COMMAND, which featured all the various Stargate series, with the promise of new content. It was a business model that quickly failed -- why would people pay for a service such a this when all the SG shows were easily available on physical media and already in wide international syndication? The only new content produced was a cheap and amateurish 100 minute webseries called STARGATE ORIGIN, a 1930s adventure featuring the character Catherine Langford battling Nazis for the Gate. As a prequel, it did not align with the continuity of either the movie or tv series. And since it also featured Time Travel and a reset button, it was essentially meaningless. No other new content was produced, and the platform was eventually discontinued.

In 2019, SG co-creator Brad Wright revealed in an interview that he has had sit down talks with MGM to discuss different Stargate ideas.

As of 2022, we know Brad Wright has written a pilot script that would be a continuation series but active development had been delayed due to the Pandemic and then sale of MGM.

Amazon has now bought MGM, and with the recent ending of THE EXPANSE, it does have an opening in it's programing schedule for an epic, brand recognized, science fiction series.

Will STARGATE rise again???????????

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After the DVD movies Ark of Truth and Continuum, a third SG1 movie was planned. It was going to be O'Neill centric, with the plot about the Gate Program going public. It was going to be called STARGATE: REVOLUTION.

When the cancellation of Atlantis was announced, a movie was planned to resolve the season 5 cliffhanger. Essentially it was a reworking of the two part season six premiere. It was to be called STARGATE: EXTINCTION.

Upon learning of the upcoming cancellation of UNIVERSE, Brad Wright pitched a movie to crossover characters from all three SG shows to tie up all the loose ends. The Powers That Be passed on the idea.
As much as I would have liked an O'Neill movie, I don't feel it's a big loss not to have gotten it. It's really disappointing that we didn't get a proper to conclusion to either SGA or SGU.

Atlantis lead actor Joe Flanigan secured international investors to lease SGA from MGM for additional seasons, with plans to move the production to Europe. The deal collapsed in the final hours due to MGM financial implosion.
Oh really? I had never heard that, but it's another thing to be disappointed by.

Emmerich and Devlin were heavily promoting a new feature film trilogy, that would ignore the tv shows, and continue from the Kurt Russel movie. But after the box office failure of Independence Day 2, they went silent on any future SG projects.
Thank the gods.

There have been some comics and novels that have tried to continue the SG Saga, they all met with varying levels of success.
I have read all of the comics (pretty much all bad) and none of the books (but I've heard the SGA "Legacy" books are a good replacement for the movie/seasons we didn't get).

There were attempts to expand the brand into video gaming with projects like Stargate Worlds and Stargate Unleashed. But in both cases, the developing gaming companies went out of business.
I played the original movie tie-in game on Genesis, and I remember it being really hard and not very fun. I was excited for Stargate SG-1: The Alliance where you were going to be able to play through some early season episodes, but it was cancelled. I wasn't that interested in Stargate Worlds because I'm not a big fan of MMORPGs. I wasn't able to play Stargate: Resistance before it went offline, but reading on Wikipedia just now it looks like it might actually be possible to play on a fan server, so I'll have to check that out! I tried Stargate SG-1: Unleashed on Android back in 2013, but either the gameplay was clunky or my phone just couldn't handle it so I abandoned it pretty quickly. I'm not that interested in Stargate: Timekeepers because the preview videos looks like it's another MMORPG or similar-style game, and as I said that's not really my thing. I'd be more interested in playing the D&D style RPG from Wyvern Gaming if I had anyone to play with.

In 2017, MGM launched the streaming platform STARGATE COMMAND, which featured all the various Stargate series, with the promise of new content. It was a business model that quickly failed -- why would people pay for a service such a this when all the SG shows were easily available on physical media and already in wide international syndication? The only new content produced was a cheap and amateurish 100 minute webseries called STARGATE ORIGIN, a 1930s adventure featuring the character Catherine Langford battling Nazis for the Gate. As a prequel, it did not align with the continuity of either the movie or tv series. And since it also featured Time Travel and a reset button, it was essentially meaningless. No other new content was produced, and the platform was eventually discontinued.
The quality of both the website and the Origins film itself, as well as the lack of streaming apps was an embarrassment. I'm glad it's dead, and I don't count Origins as part of canon.

In 2019, SG co-creator Brad Wright revealed in an interview that he has had sit down talks with MGM to discuss different Stargate ideas.

As of 2022, we know Brad Wright has written a pilot script that would be a continuation series but active development had been delayed due to the Pandemic and then sale of MGM.

Amazon has now bought MGM, and with the recent ending of THE EXPANSE, it does have an opening in it's programing schedule for an epic, brand recognized, science fiction series.
I really hope Amazon brings back the franchise, and I want Wright to be involved. At this point, I think the best way forward is to expand the SG1/SGA/SGU crossover movie into the first few episodes of a new series, introducing new characters to take over at the same time, and then let the old cast stop in for occasional cameos over the next couple of seasons to really pass the baton in a meaningful way.

Top Bottom