• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Stargate Universe

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the 1.5hr pilot last night.

Somebody definitely said "Y'know, that Battlestar Galactica sure was a good remake. The handheld cameras gave it a sense of documentary reality and the dramatic tensions sure were cool."

Somebody else said "Yea, it was cool, but y'know, maybe a little too dark."

And thus, SGU was born.

Yep - it has the look and feel of BSG, it looks nothing like Atlantis or SG1 filmically or even in the incidental music/score. They have a few BSG/Lost-type flashbacks and the overall tone is much darker than SG1/Atlantis. Thematically closer to Lost/BSG. Carter and O'Neill makes cameos - O'Neill doesn't crack a joke once. Neither does Carter. Jackson appears - sort of.

Not to say it doesn't have its faults. There's a couple overdramatic scenes and there's one nice situation where they have to make an ethical decision - which is then ruined by a conveniently placed character in a Deus Ex Machina.

I actually really enjoyed it, twas very refreshing. There were absolutely no rocks and trees, trees and rocks..

Or water. (
"]
)

probably gonna watch this tonight, hoepfully it wont be as bad as a lot of people are saying.

Remember that it is the pilot so there's a lot of exposition they have to get out of the way that will be minimized as the series goes on.

It also has the "dark" look because they're coming into the situation blind, both literally and figuratively. I think things will brighten up a little over the course of the next few episodes as they get the situation under control.

Ziz said:
Remember that it is the pilot so there's a lot of exposition they have to get out of the way that will be minimized as the series goes on.

It also has the "dark" look because they're coming into the situation blind, both literally and figuratively. I think things will brighten up a little over the course of the next few episodes as they get the situation under control.

I hope not. I prefer the darker tone.

Back
Top Bottom