• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Stargate: Origins

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is anybody watching Stargate Origins? It's being released as ten 10-minute episodes (WHY?!). I was planning on editing them together for myself (it's streaming only so I couldn't share it here) but now I won't have to.
Stargate Command said:
The Stargate Origins Feature Cut
Announcing the Stargate Origins Feature Cut: The entire Stargate Origins adventure in a new feature-length format. 

This new version of Stargate Origins will soon be available for download, in full 4K Ultra HD. 

As part of their membership benefits, all Stargate Command members who have an All-Access pass will be given a special code to download the full Feature Cut!

Stay tuned for more updates. Stargate is back!
6285c080-0065-0136-520e-114bed1f1d33.png

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am a HUGE Stargate franchise fan.  Love SG-1 and Atlantis.  SGU lesser so, but still a solid series.

So when I heard of the relaunch and saw the first trailer, I was tentatively excited.  
I have watched the first 5 episodes.... it's...well... it's okay. :p

It's a pretty looking series in terms of wardrobe and lighting.  It certainly captures the look and feel of an Indiana Jones style story.  They have done well making their tiny budget look better than it should.  But it still only feels a step above an average fan film.

The acting is all over the board.  Ranging from solid to embarrassingly bad.   The tone is uneven.  It seems to be trying to emulate the adventure humour of the tv series but it usually falls flat due to either poor direction or actors performance.  All the action scenes are very poorly executed.   The CGI is mediocre.

The actual story.... I dunno yet, 50 minutes in so far and very little has been revealed.  No sense of true jeopardy or end game.  To me, a sign of bad writing.   Furthermore, this prequel does not fit with the tv series canon in the slightest.  It does even line up with the original movie as far as I can tell.

If this is MGM testing the waters to see if there is still an audience for Stargate, I think they screwed up royally.

Honestly, why another reboot?

Why not a sequel/continuation?  The Stargate tv franchise has one of the richest and best built mythologies of any tv show period.   Tap into that and build upon it.  Doctor Who is a clear successful model that a long running show can return without jettisoning everything that came before.   And with Networks scrabbling to bring back successful old shows (X-Files, Will & Grace, Roseane, 24) with original casts, proves there is a market for this type of return.

Anyway, based on what I watched thus far, I give Stargate Origins 6 out of 10.  :-/
Though I suspect, unless the quality improves dramatically in the remaining 5 episodes, this score will drop much lower.  :blush:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finished the final 5 episodes....

It improves slightly.  It has light fun romp feel to it, but still suffers greatly by its micro budget, poor editing and uneven acting.

The last ten minutes tries desperately to plug all the continuity plot holes and align the prequel up to the feature film.  It mostly works though it gives ORIGINS a sort of pointless feel to it.

I dunno... if this was a Fan Film, I would probably rate it really high, give it an 8 out of 10.
But being a MGM studio based project, I can't go any higher than 6.5 as a final score.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H_czPBHkms[/video]

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is another example of studios making a prequel that doesn't really fit the established franchise material and then bending over backwards to make it work when they could have just done something new.

Top Bottom