• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Wipes

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am preparing for my upcoming TLJ edit and will need to learn how to do some classic Star Wars transition wipes.

I previously could use a plug in for it but the one I used no longer is up to date for Premiere.

I am curious how ya'll make such beautiful wipes for your SW edits? Any direction on how to do so or a transition plug in would be much appreciated!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I could tell you precisely how to do it in Vegas but not sure about Premiere. It can be done without any plugins and some basic knowlege.

Still, do you know how to do a "mask"? If so, just go from one keyframe where the mask is not covering the image, to another keyframe 30 frames later where the mask is covering the image. Feather the edges of the mask a lot and it should look good.

EDIT: I've made an image that'll explain it better:

(^ Click image to see hi-res version)

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the tips TM2YC! I'll try playing around with masking inside of Premiere and see what I can accomplish.

And if anyone familiar with Premiere happens to know of a good plug in then that would be awesome too.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masking and keyframing works for non-linear wipes, but in case you didn't know,TM2YC, there is a wipe transition built into Vegas. Just overlap the video segments, right click, and change the transition to sony linear wipe. You can adjust the angle and feathering there.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
in case you didn't know,TM2YC, there is a wipe transition built into Vegas.

Yes, I've used it in the past but being a preset option, it doesn't have the easy customisation and fine tuning that doing it yourself gives (Plus I've occasionally experienced bugs when it's been combined with other filters).

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ yep, I agree. Just wanted to mention it for those who may not be that familiar with masking and keyframing

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use that Vegas built in function but I use the ones that have hearts or puzzle pieces.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL, I love that tiny component of The Ridiculous™ Saga

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't understand why Premiere doesn't have an easy way to do this, but there is a way that isn't too too hard.

Use the effect "Linear Wipe" and keyframe the "transition competition" control. Set the angle to whatever you want (although you'll see there are typical SW angles, I can check for exact numbers if you want). I've found 75 is the best setting to use for feather. The pain is, the feather messes it all up unless you do the wipe on both the outgoing and the incoming clips. If you do that, it looks pretty legit.

If you want more intense wipes, good luck. I figured out how to do a curtain wipe but haven't tried much else yet.

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
I can't understand why Premiere doesn't have an easy way to do this, but there is a way that isn't too too hard.

Use the effect "Linear Wipe" and keyframe the "transition competition" control. Set the angle to whatever you want (although you'll see there are typical SW angles, I can check for exact numbers if you want). I've found 75 is the best setting to use for feather. The pain is, the feather messes it all up unless you do the wipe on both the outgoing and the incoming clips. If you do that, it looks pretty legit.

If you want more intense wipes, good luck. I figured out how to do a curtain wipe but haven't tried much else yet.

Thank you so much! This is a godsend.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The force is strong with these wipes.
a22c89622a3c5ce2f9c7f1c606473582.jpg

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone! I really need people's advice on how to do an iris wipe in Premiere pro with feathered edges. It's for replicating a Star Wars style transition to the credits.

I do not think there is a viable way to do it in Premiere but if anyone might have an solution/alternatives then that would be very appreciated!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Search youtube for how-to videos e.g.

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Search youtube for how-to videos e.g.

I scoured YouTube for any videos to solve the issue and have found nothing.

And just in case that video was meant to have the solution, I am looking for an feathered iris wipe. I know how to do linear wipes.

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That looks awesome, too bad it isn't for PC. I might just have someone do it who has FCPX.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
darthrush said:
TM2YC said:
Search youtube for how-to videos

I scoured YouTube for any videos to solve the issue and have found nothing.

2nd search result from the search term "premiere iris wipe" explains how to do it (the first result also explains it but not in English):

From a quick skim he doesn't mention feathering but I can see a feather option on his menu, so lets assume it's possible.

Top Bottom