• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
Also for somebody who keeps telling me to not take things personally, you seem pretty agitated... :)

Well, re-reading the same thing over and over IS pretty annoying.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
I don't think you're getting my point. There is a difference between things happening to either provide some character development or to further the plot and things happening to deliver a pointless moralizing lecture to the audience...

While I do think it was handled in a clunky way, the stuff you mentioned definitely has relevance to the story beyond simply being a lecture to the audience.  The fact is we have very little information on why the Resistance is resisting. We have even less information on why the First Order...um... first ordering? Really they are just generic good guys and bad guys.  The instinct to provide some motivation, while perhaps not handled as elegantly as I’d prefer, was still the correct instinct in my opinion.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
TMBTM said:
I gave Holdo's motivations in my reply (not trusting Poe because he's impulsive, the secret plan with Leia)...

So she doesn't trust him because he's impulsive but likes him because he's.... "a troublemaker"... that makes sense... ;)

TMBTM said:
Some details are not explained and it's all right... as long at it's not a flying R2 in the prequels of course. F@ck that. ;)

Flying R2 (yeah that was silly) makes more sense than flying Leia... :D

She does not trust him to be part of the plan because he is impulsive and possibly a troublemaker.
She likes him because he's good at heart and skilled (and good looking? lol), despite being impulsive.

And... you don't really fly in space, you float (even YOU could!). And if you can use the force to make yourself move toward something, then I guess you can call it flying (like a spaceship), sure, but even if the way that specific shot was executed was not the best part of the movie, it makes sens (in the context of a Star Wars movie, of course).

EDIT: Damn, you could even say that Leia is Force pulling the whole spaceship to her without moving. It's just the camera angle that gives that feeling, lol
(Just kidding, I didn't rewatch that scene recently, but isn't using your imagination amazing?)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep, fine, forget it. please dont ban me

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
DonKamillo said:
Also for somebody who keeps telling me to not take things personally, you seem pretty agitated... :)

Well, re-reading the same thing over and over IS pretty annoying.

[img=300x335]
Moe_Syzlak said:
While I do think it was handled in a clunky way, the stuff you mentioned definitely has relevance to the story beyond simply being a lecture to the audience.  The fact is we have very little information on why the Resistance is resisting. We have even less information on why the First Order...um... first ordering? Really they are just generic good guys and bad guys.  The instinct to provide some motivation, while perhaps not handled as elegantly as I’d prefer, was still the correct instinct in my opinion.

But that's what I'm saying. If you're going to provide some motivation than do it, elaborate on it, develop it....don't just mention it once and then do nothing with it. It is never a good sign, if you can practically cut out a big chunk of a movie (in this case Canto Bight) without effecting the narrative or characters at all. 

TMBTM said:
Damn, you could even say that Leia is Force pulling the whole spaceship to her without moving. It's just the camera angle that gives that feeling, lol
(Just kidding, I didn't rewatch that scene recently, but isn't using your imagination amazing?)

I admit, that would've been awesome  :D

But why stop there...

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
stop reading

Congratulations+you+have+won+a+free+gif+_59a445714ea09d270ff9620935a7b490.gif

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
While I do think it was handled in a clunky way, the stuff you mentioned definitely has relevance to the story beyond simply being a lecture to the audience.  The fact is we have very little information on why the Resistance is resisting. We have even less information on why the First Order...um... first ordering? Really they are just generic good guys and bad guys.  The instinct to provide some motivation, while perhaps not handled as elegantly as I’d prefer, was still the correct instinct in my opinion.

But that's what I'm saying. If you're going to provide some motivation than do it, elaborate on it, develop it....don't just mention it once and then do nothing with it. It is never a good sign, if you can practically cut out a big chunk of a movie (in this case Canto Bight) without effecting the narrative or characters at all. 

As I said, I did not think it was handled well. But that was due to other things, not the themes it was trying to bring into it. Look, for me any TLJ edit would have to remove Canto Bight. I didn’t like it as a scene and it distracted from the more important storylines. But so did practically everything that wasn’t Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes in RotJ and no one complains about that. They have all these characters and they needed to give them something to do. And, if you’re going to insist on making them a large part of the story, I think having them provide a bit of depth rather than simply having action scenes makes sense. As with the prequels it’s more about execution.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Silliness and laughs:

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged....I guess.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched about a minute of it.  The voice impression of Mr.  Plinkett is pretty close.  But the comedy and wit is far from the real thing.  I'm supposing this exists because some guy decided he didn't like the real plinkett review because it doesn't trash the movie enough like every other internet troll likes to.  But see that makes sense considering it's far better than the prequels will ever be...

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
I watched about a minute of it.  The voice impression of Mr.  Plinkett is pretty close.  But the comedy and wit is far from the real thing.  I'm supposing this exists because some guy decided he didn't like the real plinkett review because it doesn't trash the movie enough like every other internet troll likes to.  But see that makes sense considering it's far better than the prequels will ever be...

And what's weird is the real Plinkett review trashes the movie plenty.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah but it was too satirical, not enough genuine hate.  ?? although I will admit that despite being a fan rlm's general snobby attitude toward the sequel trilogy (and more annoyingly,  it's fans) does get on my nerves. 

But they also did a mr. Plinkett review on the force awakens, but on the half in the bag episode for it they generally liked it,  or didn't hate it.  On the TLJ episode, they didn't like it but didn't hate it either.

Top Bottom