• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoops, wrong thread. Thought this was episode 9. My bad.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

New RLM, Plinkett review.
I usualy love them, but this one I found very tedious to listen to.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:

Ehh. It didn't really add anything new to the discourse, just kinda re-stated things that have been beaten to death already.
Although, I did like the suggestion of ending it where they did, and leaving out the final battle for Krait.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Someone has got to do a fanedit with Plinkett's ending. It's perfect.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:

Couldn't disagree more. The TFA Plinkett review was bogged down by lengthy discourses on prolonged franchises (covering much the same ground as the Star Trek: The Star Trek review), and a long and boring refutation of PT apologia. This review, however, was comparatively slim, focused, and full of spot-on observation, like the dreadnought firing on the base instead of the ships.

That deleted scene of the stormtrooper slapping Finn's ass?! Oh, my god! :cry: That had to have been a lark, right? They were goofing around on set, the trooper was a funny well-known actor or friend of someone important, and that was never even remotely intended to be in the movie, right? Right?!?!  

Zamros said:
Although, I did like the suggestion of ending it where they did, and leaving out the final battle for Krait.

Indeed, that would have been a helluvan ending.

... And, are we all supposed to pretend that Billie Lourd isn't Carrie Fisher's daughter?! Especially when she's prominently featured in so many shots, and has dual buns that are highly reminiscent of Leia's ANH hairdo? It's incredibly distracting, and wrecks the emotional tension we're supposed to feel about Leia's only child being a murderer on the verge of killing her, when we can plainly see Fisher's actual only child is right next to her. :sick:

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
This review, however, was comparatively slim, focused, and full of spot-on observation, like the dreadnought firing on the base instead of the ships. 

My problem is that this review is mostly THAT.
A list of minor things that you could see as problematic but that really don't matter much. I mean the FO fires on the base THEN at the main ship... wow, the movie must be bad then... I guess.

The RLM guys also brings some interesting points of view, yes (they ARE smart, I like those guys) but I'm still baffled beyong belief (and I guess I will always be) that this movie gets so much hate. It does not compute. I may read and watch all the arguments against this movie over and over but, sorry, I like this movie more than at least 4 other Star Wars movies and maybe 5.

The things I disliked the most in this review, and I suppose it was the turning point for me, was the moment when they used the fake laughs behind scenes of the movie over and over for I don't know how many minutes, it seemed an eternity and I thought RLM were above that cheap editing trick that the average "haters" usualy use and abuse. Use it a few seconds yes, but that was nerve wracking. And from this moment the review sounded like a sneer fest to me.

Maybe it's also just the fact that they came after everyone else and just add fuel to the fire when it seemed the majority just cooled down a bit with this movie.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eh, I dunno. I’m with you that the movie gets undue amounts of hate. But my biggest issues with the movie seemed to be what they focused on. Namely the misplaced humor. They largely ignored the two most common gripes I hear: the characterization of Luke and the lack of flaws in Rey. Both of those gripes I disagree with so I was glad the review focused on other issues.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even if I mostly like the humor in the movie I do agree that this particular story requiered maybe a more constant tone and surely a more serious one.
It looked like they were afraid to have a too depressing movie and injected random humor here and there to keep audience on board, but in the end it was counter productive for a lot of people.

But tell me you at least laughed at that scene:
bq1HU.png

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I laughed my butt off at that scene. Might have been my favorite part of the movie.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I looked away for a brief second in the cinema, so was really confused why everyone was laughing at this ironing guy.

As for the critiques, it felt significantly more nitpicky than his previous works. TFA review is good after the halfway mark (which I usually skip to), this just seemed... basic?

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
TMBTM said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83D18xL7VE[/video]

Ehh. It didn't really add anything new to the discourse, just kinda re-stated things that have been beaten to death already.

Loved it!  :) 

The Plinkett reviews are never going to reach the genius level of the prequel reviews but it was definitely better than the TFA review (which I also happen to like).

Yes a lot of the points have been discussed before but there where enough funny details, I never noticed before and I probably watched this movie a hundred times already. I laughed my ass off at the two rebel extras casually talking in the background after the first order fleet gets obliterated.

I'm just happy it came out that late and I didn't watch it before I started working on my fanedit. Otherwise I probably would've given up from the start.  :)

Zamros said:

Funny story. I was actually thinking about making this the ending because I had a force vision in my cut early on where Luke saw Rey facing Kylo and it seemed she would give in and join him. While putting this in I thought it would be awesome to have the movie end with that scene which would make it more powerful with the foreshadowing I put in earlier. But then I thought about all that hard work making Luke's light saber green in his final confrontation on Crait and scrapped the idea  :D

I remember watching the movie in the cinema and thinking the confrontation with Snoke on his ship was the final act and being suprised that instead it kept going in yet another new location, so I guess it's always possible to release a second version of my cut with an alternate ending  ;)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
Zamros said:

Funny story. I was actually thinking about making this the ending because I had a force vision...

;)

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone that has been an extra in a lot of stuff, those guys are doing a great job :p

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked it, the music especially. But I think you really need to hear Ben's "Please" to make it work.

Also, I'm not sure about the circle zooming in on Rey. I thought it was weird in the Plinkett review too. In hindsight, would Ben's hand be a better final shot?

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I liked it, the music especially. But I think you really need to hear Ben's "Please" to make it work.

Also, I'm not sure about the circle zooming in on Rey. I thought it was weird in the Plinkett review too. In hindsight, would Ben's hand be a better final shot?

I always thought his "Please" felt out of place after his strong and determined speech about letting old things die and talking about Rey's parents. It would've been enough to see the uncertainty on his face instead of spelling it out for us.

Although I like the ending shot with Rey's face more, I agree that Kylo's hand would work too:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It doesn't feel entirely like a Star Wars ending to me. I think you could put that music over any random shots and then iris to the blue writing and it would sort of work.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As superficially intriguing as both those endings are, Kylo is still a mass murderer, and I can't see a partnership with him and Rey becoming anything other than an abusive one, and Disney obviously wouldn't go there with this franchise. Johnson clearly did the best he could with what TFA set up, but IMHO, the original sin here was Abrams's hacky, lazy decision to make another Skywalker fall to the Dark Side offscreen, and for no adequately explained reason (in either movie).

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
As superficially intriguing as both those endings are, Kylo is still a mass murderer, and I can't see a partnership with him and Rey becoming anything other than an abusive one...

That would have been the interesting part. Rey falling for this "mass murderer" and seeing the human side of him either turning dark herself in the process or realizing that she can't save him from himself...

Gaith said:
Disney obviously wouldn't go there with this franchise...

Wouldn't be the first time though. I don't remember Rogue One being a typical Disney movie either  ;)  

Gaith said:
...Johnson clearly did the best he could with what TFA set up,...

He did the opposite... Abrams wrote drafts for episode 8 and 9 outlining where things could go for the main characters but Johnson scrapped those and started from scratch

Gaith said:
...the original sin here was Abrams's hacky, lazy decision to make another Skywalker fall to the Dark Side offscreen, and for no adequately explained reason (in either movie).

I agree with the laziness part of repeating the Skywalker goes dark in TFA but nevertheless there was a lot of potential for Kylo which for me was the most interesting character of the new ones.

Johnson had the chance of subverting our expectations in an interesting way by showing us a Skywalker go from the dark side to the light (sort of) after we've already seen one go from zero to hero in the original trilogy and another one go from light to dark in the prequels.

Instead Kylo starts off as a whiny brat, slowly develops into a multidimensional character while talking to Rey only to go back to being a whiny brat again in the end...

Top Bottom