• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
TM2YC said:
TomH1138 said:
Abrams' TFA spent a lot of time setting things up (Rey's parentage) that Johnson's TLJ quickly undid.

Again, I don't remember TFA setting that up.

It teases the viewers through subtleties here and there - the most obvious being during Rey's force vision. Saying that it "spent a lot of time setting things up" is a bit of a reach though.

Let me rephrase: TFA spent time setting many things up that were quickly undone in TLJ, one of which was suggesting that there was something mysterious about Rey's parentage. An equal amount of time was not spent on each thing that was set up.

The quote above is a misquote, because it chopped out the several other things I mentioned. 

The Scribbling Man said:
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]It's poor writing to tackle each episode of the trilogy separately without having an idea of the overall direction of the story, and even more so to let each director of each film have free reign over the script, without a clear idea of where things are going. The whole trilogy is being played by ear, and the story will probably suffer because of it.
[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]This is all I was ever saying in the first place -- and even at that, it was intended as no more than a lighthearted tease.[/font]

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
One of which was suggesting that there was something mysterious about Rey's parentage. An equal amount of time was not spent on each thing that was set up.
That is your interpretation. Another interpretation is that they wanted Rey to have a driving force, something she could hold onto, so they had her not know her parents and that became the focus of the Rey character. And this was carried over successfully into this film to the point where it was used to weaken her emotionally. The mystery of who they were was Rey's alone, the audience was never 'set up' to think they were someone special, the audience did that all by themselves.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the thing about Rey's parents mirror ESB a lot, in a good way.
In ESB we learn that the father of the main hero is someone "important" to the story.
In TLJ we learn that the parents of the main hero are not "important" to the overall story but learning it is ALSO as important to Rey as it was to Luke.
So that's why they hinted some things in the previous movie. Because there IS a payoff for Rey. It's just not a "big twist" for the audience as it was in ESB.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DSM2337 said:
That is your interpretation. Another interpretation is that they wanted Rey to have a driving force, something she could hold onto, so they had her not know her parents and that became the focus of the Rey character. And this was carried over successfully into this film to the point where it was used to weaken her emotionally. The mystery of who they were was Rey's alone, the audience was never 'set up' to think they were someone special, the audience did that all by themselves.

Yes, that's my interpretation. You have a different one, which is also fine. 

At any rate, the points of my previous post were simplify 1) to correct a misquote and 2) to clarify what I said from what people thought I said. I wasn't intending to restart the argument, because heaven knows we've gone over this quite a bit.   ;)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
e190f0768cbeddddc8720641a6381935--the-simpsons-ralph-simpsons.jpg

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Gaith said:
Just read an interesting point on another board. If Rey is indeed a "nobody", ancestrally speaking (which in of itself doesn't bother me), then perhaps it's just a pretty wild coincidence that Old Man Max Von Sydow, who seemed to know Leia personally and held a vital clue to Luke's whereabouts, just happened to have retired only a few miles away from her shack? (Not to mention the Falcon also being in the same immediate area.)

A few miles?

In planetary, let alone star system, let alone galactic, terms?

Yes.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How far was Ben's hut from Lars Homestead?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TVs Frink said:
Gaith said:
Just read an interesting point on another board. If Rey is indeed a "nobody", ancestrally speaking (which in of itself doesn't bother me), then perhaps it's just a pretty wild coincidence that Old Man Max Von Sydow, who seemed to know Leia personally and held a vital clue to Luke's whereabouts, just happened to have retired only a few miles away from her shack? (Not to mention the Falcon also being in the same immediate area.)

A few miles?

In planetary, let alone star system, let alone galactic, terms?

Yes.

In planetary terms?  Last I checked, everyone on Earth lives on a planet.  But my car can go farther than "a few miles" in 12-18 hours.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
How far was Ben's hut from Lars Homestead?

In galactic terms, ten inches.

With that said, it made sense for Ben to be close by if you believe the prequels were a thing.  I'm not convinced though.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ben's hut was close to Luke's home because Ben was watching over Luke, because he was the son a very powerful Force user. Though maybe not explicitly stated in ANH (or maybe it is, I forget), it was certainly clearly implied, and accepted lore long before RotS.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah but Max was a very powerful drunk watching over Rey's parents.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Obi-Wan Kenobi:
04loo.gif

Lor San Tekka:
1introvert_1439376095.gif

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ranger613 said:

Let me translate: "Anything is still open" means "you will not get any spoilers from me because the movie is 2 years away, I'm not even directing it, J.J can do what he wants and I will let you all speculate for 2 years if you want".

J.J produced episode 8, so J.J agreed with episode 8, so there's NO hint whatsoever that there's some mystery left or that he will change what was planned to please angry fans.
Edit: now it does not mean either that the story of Rey's parents could not be talked about more in ep9, it's just not what Rian said.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Come on, everyone knows a parsec is a measure of time.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Come on, everyone knows a parsec is a measure of time.

Yes. It's short for "Part of a second". Obvious when you think about it.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, how long in wookie parsecs does it take to get from Lars Homestead to Old Ben's hut?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Yeah, how long in wookie parsecs does it take to get from Lars Homestead to Old Ben's hut?

Depends on the exchange rate.

Top Bottom