• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
The Scribbling Man said:
bionicbob said:

NELI

I DONT GET IT

UNLESS YOURE TRYING TO STEAL MY BIT

IN WHICH CASE I STILL DONT GET IT

Not 
Even 
Laughing 
Inwardly 

Bill Bailey. British comedian. 

Sometimes we have to FAWA, you know? (Fight Acronym With Acronym)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, that's the opposite of what we coined on OT.com as ALLOL

Actual literal laugh out loud.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So am I alone on not knowing prior to TLJ that a significant swath of the SW fandom is seriously bigoted? I’m not sold on the movie, but holy crap!, a musician’s site I frequent has some seriously bigoted reasons for not liking this movie.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know if a "significant swath" is a fair way to put it, but that's a common thread in a lot of fanbases unfortunately.  To go back just one movie, do you recall the reaction to the first TFA trailer where Finn pops up into frame?  A lot of people had a lot of ugly things to say about it.

Like I said before...the internet.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn’t know that about Finn. I don’t go to OT or any other SW sites other than this, such that it is a SW site. It’s really disheartening, but I guess people are less concerned with expressing these bigoted views publicly after the events of the last two years or so.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It’s really disheartening, but I guess people are less concerned with expressing these bigoted views publicly after the events of the last two years or so.

The only excuse bad people need to be bad, is seeing others openly doing so.

As for acronyms for internet laughs, I always liked NE (Nose exhale).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
It’s really disheartening

Don't be too disheartened, it's just the internet magnifying this stuff. Doctor Who Producer Steven Moffat addressed a similar issue ("controversy" about a new female Doctor) at 0.45 into this clip:

"There has been no backlash"

If 1% of whiny fans are angry about something, then 99% of websites will report that because it generates views etc. Making it seem like a big backlash, when actually 99% of the rest of the fans are fine, or thrilled with it.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I didn’t know that about Finn. I don’t go to OT or any other SW sites other than this, such that it is a SW site. It’s really disheartening, but I guess people are less concerned with expressing these bigoted views publicly after the events of the last two years or so.

I wasn't talking about OT, I don't remember anything like that there when the trailer was released (although I could be wrong).  I was referring to YouTube comments, article comments, twitter, facebook, etc.

Example story about it:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/new-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-sparks-racial-backlash-0

(apologies for the political site and any potential commentary within)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:

And YOLO, of course. That's a classic. 

You
Obviously
Owls 

I should throw that one Throw's way sometime.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
TMBTM said:
I love Redlettermedia's humor and all their videos, but I disagree almost totaly with their video on TLJ.

And I agreed almost totally. I found their sentiments pretty spot on actually, especially in the broader sense. It was entertaining but too long and kind of a mess. It did seem a reaction to the criticisms of Episode 7 in some of its defying expectations. And it did seem like a good A story bogged down by a shoehorned B story, giving the other characters something to do.

I'm not sure I've ever agreed with a RLM/HitB review more. "Not terrible" and "sporadically interesting," but "creatively bankrupt", with "nowhere to go" is pretty much my opinion on this movie in a nutshell. Particularly good was that discussion at the end about how the movie feels like a finale, and where is there to go from here? A mandatory Rey/Kylo lightsaber fight, and maybe another superweapon? Unlike ESB, there's no comrade to rescue, and no terrible family revelation to grapple with. In a way, that almost makes me hopeful that they'll have to come up with something new - but then, the last time Abrams did a sequel to his own movie we got Into Blahness. So, who knows.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
 "Not terrible" and "sporadically interesting," but "creatively bankrupt", with "nowhere to go" is pretty much my opinion on this movie in a nutshell. Particularly good was that discussion at the end about how the movie feels like a finale, and where is there to go from here? A mandatory Rey/Kylo lightsaber fight, and maybe another superweapon? Unlike ESB, there's no comrade to rescue, and no terrible family revelation to grapple with. In a way, that almost makes me hopeful that they'll have to come up with something new - but then, the last time Abrams did a sequel to his own movie we got Into Blahness. So, who knows.

As much as I enjoyed the movie, I think that sums it up pretty well. I definitely have no idea where they can take it. It possibly sets things up for a new trilogy, but certainly not a climax. The 3rd installment will inevitably feel rushed and somewhat contrived - especially if Abrams takes the same approach as he did with Force Awakens.

"Safe" at this point isn't a safe bet.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Zamros said:

And YOLO, of course. That's a classic. 

You
Obviously
Owls 

I should throw that one Throw's way sometime.

giphy.gif

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a fun article.

https://geektyrant.com/news/star-wa...e-same-way-fans-are-reacting-to-the-last-jedi

Before the Internet, fans got their movie news from magazines and one of the biggest sci-fi magazines in the 80s was Starlog. One of the cool things that Starlog did was provide fans with an outlet to share their feelings and speak their minds about the films and TV shows that they were passionate about. They basically published letters that were sent in by fans. It was the closest thing that fans had to an internet forum or social media in the 80s!

Archive.org has a whole collection of Starlog, and ArticleHit collected several of the fan letters that were published in issues #39-41 sharing their feelings on The Empire Strikes Back, which is a favorite Star Wars film among fans today. As it turns out, fans were torn on that movie much in the same way that fans are torn on Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi.

It's really cool and interesting to see what fans were saying back in the day. As you read some of these, you'll see the similarities of what fans are saying right now about The Last Jedi. It seems Star Wars fans have never changed and that's a comforting thought!

Can't wait for a few of you to pick this apart too!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Can't wait for a few of you to pick this apart too!

*Sigh*... Okay, I'll play. As I've said several times, I found The Last Jedi overlong, often dull, with uninteresting characters in Finn and Rose, borrowing way too much from the OT, a motivation-deprived villain in Kylo Ren, a thematically misplaced subplot in Canto Bight, and a lack of interesting setup for the trilogy's closing chapter. Let's see if these letters show that ANH fans felt "much in the same way" about ESB as I do now!

"Robert L. Beedy-Scarola was in denial that Darth Vader was really Luke's father."

I don't care if Rey's parents really are nobodies. Her parentage didn't fascinate me in TFA, nor did it here. To me, Force sensitivity is similar to innate higher math prodigy-level talent - being the kid of those with the same talent drastically increases the odds of your having it also, but sometimes someone completely random will have just as strong a talent, too. It's luck of the DNA draw.

"If you felt like The Last Jedi left too many unanswered questions, you'll be happy to know that some fans felt the same way about Empire Strikes Back."

Nope, unanswered questions are not one of my problems with TLJ. See above.

"There was also the unresolved question of there being “another”, so of course, the fans speculated away."

Again, if anything, TLJ left too little to speculate about, especially for the second part of a trilogy. And I certainly don't care if broom boy and other Little Rascal Force-sensitive kids join a Rey-founded Jedi summer camp next time around.

"This next comment talks about the relationships between Luke, Leia, and Han."

I don't care enough about TLJ's three younger characters to want any of them to end up with anyone, though I do hope Poe finds a badass woman of about his age someday, as I liked the subtle "will never happen, but still, if we were the same age and history was completely different" spark between him and Leia.

"Fans even disagreed about Han Solo's iconic “I know” line."

Eh, Luke's "everything you just said was wrong" line was pretty cool, granted, but it was a snarky callback to the audience and a sick burn on his school shooter nephew, not an emotionally charged moment. And Rose's line about "saving the ones you love" while very possibly dooming the remaining Resistance by stopping Finn's heroic sacrifice was downright laughable.

"Here's a fan that is pissed off about the movie being racist and sexist."

Gender and representation issues are not among my complaints.

Hm, look at that. Not one of these fan letters raise complaints "much in the same way" that I have.

Now, for context/balance, let's look at the quotes the author found regarding reactions to sequels we now view as lame, such as Ghostbusters II, Superman III, Robocop 2, or The Phantom Menace, and see if they gushed over those movies at the time, or whether they foretold the current consensuses... oh, oops, the author didn't do that at all. Huh.

Hope you enjoyed my go at your game! :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry Gaith, I'm not even going to read it.  I know exactly where it's headed without having to.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your trolling abilities continue to grow, your Highness.

Top Bottom