• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Every time I think I've heard all the complaints...

I promise I'm not scouring my memory looking for quibbles here. I had this thought the moment I saw a Jedi Master carrying a dead thing he'd deliberately killed on his back.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So sorry Mark, but I couldn't resist:

zjfrc9.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So after avoiding reviews, spoilers and comments for the past weeks, I saw THE LAST JEDI today...

...and I liked it.

Now as many of you know, I am a TREK guy.  And while I am almost 50 years old, and grew up in the heyday of WARS, I was never a passionate hardcore fan.  When my buddies were asking for Star Wars toys for xmas, I wanted Micronauts.  Not to say I don't enjoy the franchise, I think ANH and ESB are perfect tens for me, but the rest of the movies are very mixed, take it or leave experience.

Anyways, after watching the film today, I went online to see what  the general consensus was and why there was so much apparent controversy.   I found it interesting that most of things people seem to be railing against, I liked.

I enjoyed that this one while still loaded with traditional SW tropes, at least tried to go in some new directions.   The whole Canto Bight subplot, I thought was an interesting attempt to shed some reality on the nature of war profiteering, which I never would have expected from a SW movie.  In a universe as Black and White as Star Wars, this was refreshing if not slightly forced and awkward.   Will it have any real resounding impact on the nature of the franchise?  Of course not.   But "A" for effort.

The Luke Skywalker arc.... if I was in my teens or twenties, I probably would have hated this.  But being much, much older now, and been worn down by many of life's hard realities, I thought Luke's fate felt believable.   And I thought his final scenes were touching and beautifully executed.

The SW cynic in me finds it shocking Luke would think he was even able to train any future Jedi with true success.  I mean he spent what... one or two days with Obiwan, and maybe a week or two with Yoda... and that makes him a Jedi Master?

Though I do agree with @"Gaith" the Thrawn trilogy, along with the first few expanded universe trilogies, were much better written than the current SW films.

I liked Rey's arc, though she felt a bit lost in the last act to me.  I loved the reveal that she is just a "nobody"... not another Skywalker... no special parentage... to me this feels more real.  

I enjoyed Rose and her viewpoint of the world.

I loved Leia's limited but powerful appearances.   

Poe and the Laura Dern plot, generally worked for me.  A leader does not have to share strategy with their underlings, especially those with a hot head reputation.   But still.... a lot of wasted lives and time could have been saved.

Things that left me frustrated... no explanation how the First Order was able to track the Rebel Fleet?  Was it a traitor?  A tracking device?  Why was no effort make by the rebels to figure this out?????

Snoke.  No development or explanation.  Nothing.  Who was he?  How did he become so powerful?  How did he seduce Ben?  What's his relationship to Luke?

It was interesting all the classic SW style villains... the dreadnaught Admiral, Phasma, Snoke.... are killed and we are left with two snivelling, whiny bad guys.  Granted, at least Kylo Ren has a tragic element to him, but again totally undeveloped or explained.  

On the whole, it was a very enjoyable ride.  I smile through most of it.  I even choked up a couple of times.   Not perfect, with many underdeveloped plot points and characters, but a fun escape regardless.   Upon a single viewing, I would probably give it an 8 out of 10.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bob, the whole Rose/Finn/DJ subplot revolved around disabling the hyperspace tracker the FO used to track them through hyperspace.  Unless I misunderstand your question?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Bob, the whole Rose/Finn/DJ subplot revolved around disabling the hyperspace tracker the FO used to track them through hyperspace.  Unless I misunderstand your question?

I thought, and maybe I misunderstood, there was a tracker on the Rebel Fleet?  I guess the line "...on a string" confused me.

My mistake.  I guess that makes more sense?  So they can now track any ship, anywhere?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Presumably any ship that jumps to hyperspace right in front of them.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Presumably any ship that jumps to hyperspace right in front of them.

Yeah, I don't get it.  :huh: Unless you somehow tag the ship, I don't know how that would work...?  
Good old sci-fi plot driven science.  LOL :p

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, you love Star Trek, you shouldn't mind a little Trek-level tech. ;)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Hey, you love Star Trek, you shouldn't mind a little Trek-level tech. ;)
True.  Though in Star Trek they would at least attempt to explain away the latest McGuffin by spending  several minutes uttering confusing Technobabble.  :p hee hee

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For all you porg fans. Behold the interactive porg. *Click picture for link*

Fettclone1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm seldom around these parts but I had to comment on this one.

I personally fall in with the bitterly disappointed category of fans. And that's not to say that I didn't enjoy certain parts- I did, but the weight of the negatives was far greater.

Some of the things I did enjoy:

- The so-called "Forcetime" between Rey and Kylo. 

I think that all worked especially well and was a powerful way to explore their characters. (I think it made no sense that Luke and Kylo could see each other, but oh well)

- Despite the other inherent flaws with Luke's story, I like that he named mentioned Sidious, thus fully referencing the Prequel Trilogy.

- Yoda's appearance on the island. 

In a strange way, although I didn't expect Yoda to appear, I wasn't surprised either. His actions and message reminded me a lot of various messianic figures, especially Jesus (faith is in your actions, not the texts, etc). 

- Benicio Del Toro's character.

Although quite a few people have expressed irritation about the entire Canto Bight sub plot, I'm fairly indifferent to it with the exception of that performance, which I thought was interesting.

- Luke's Force projection.

I think that, given the way things eventually played out, the best possible idea was used there to redeem Luke to an extent. There are plenty of examples of radical uses of the Force similar to that in the EU, so I didn't mind.

The major issues I've had are virtually the same as those everyone's no doubt heard a dozen times by now   :\

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
DRmPIJDWkAAdflJ.jpg

Hmmm, I can't accept that photo because she is holding Vader's lightsaber. We all know that went down the shaft and up in smoke :p

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i haven't read through the whole thread yet, so i don't know if this has already been mentioned: there were at least a couple nods to kurosawa:
a) the rashomon-like retelling of kylo & luke's fateful encounter. any fanedit i would want to see will keep this element.
b) snoke's throneroom. starwarsy in front, kagemusha-like in the back. not sure how i feel about the minimalist aesthetic in a star wars film, as it almost feels as though they ran out of funding (or more likely, ideas) to flesh out the set, but it's worth pointing out.
008-kagemusha-theredlist.jpg

kagemusha

also, a huge gripe is that if snoke can suffer tissue damage, why not leia? just because it's happening at a cellular level doesn't make the damage any less severe. not only was she exposed to the freezing temperatures of space (or oven-levels of heat if exposed to direct sunlight), she was also exposed to massive amounts of unfiltered radiation and vacuum-like pressure, both of which would have "killed her dead" even without being cooked or frozen. i've got an idea about how to handle her death. . . see the ideas thread.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you guys who love porgs. . . y'all haven't had the opportunity to smell them, whole colonies of them.

i'd rather see whimsical yoda than bullshit philsophy yoda—cough, prequels, cough. (i don't believe in afterlives, but if there were such a thing and i found myself trapped in one, i'd want to laugh as often as possible. and fire off lightning bolts when given the chance.)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pixels don"t smell.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
b) snoke's throneroom. starwarsy in front, kagemusha-like in the back. not sure how i feel about the minimalist aesthetic in a star wars film, as it almost feels as though they ran out of funding (or more likely, ideas) to flesh out the set, but it's worth pointing out.

I'm with you on this one. When it finally started to burn down and we saw the traditional view screen with the Resistance fleet in the background the red really felt like it was artsy for arts sake. Maybe it was symbolism that Snoke was really a shroud, I don't know. It looked bad, imho.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
you guys who love porgs. . . y'all haven't had the opportunity to smell them, whole colonies of them.

*raises hand*

I love porgs. I've also been to large waterbird colonies. Smelly af, but I still love the little weirdos. Space puffins FTW.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
*raises hand*

I love porgs. I've also been to large waterbird colonies. Smelly af, but I still love the little weirdos. Space puffins FTW.

I love porgs too.

Had a meme but couldn’t get it to work for some reason. I’ll get to it later

Top Bottom