• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
Also I think Johnson is more dedicated to practical effects than JJ Abrams, just as his own preference.

I'm surprised that you felt that TFA was too heavy on the CGI. Abrams was very outspoken about using practical effects in this movie, and it shows onscreen. Sure, there's still some CGI, as there will be in any modern blockbuster. But there's a lot less than in the prequels or even in, say, Crystal Skull, which promised practical stunts and then gave us a bunch of digital monkeys and gophers.

For that matter, I noticed a lot of CGI in Looper, not that this is a bad thing in itself. But I don't think Johnson's Star Wars is going to be particularly more or less digital than Abrams'.

MiniMetroid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
No mention of Harrison Ford. I would say "of course", but there was a lot of suspicion he would return maybe for a flashback. So now, unless they hide something, no flashback with Ford.
Maybe Leia taught Han more about the Force and he reprises as a ghost like Obi-Wan did. ;)

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Again, if you personally have no desire to see the film, that's fine. What njvc and I find puzzling is the suggestion that no one else will find anything of interest in a huge nostalgia-fest directed by the most popular and acclaimed director of the past 40 years. Even if it's bad (which I hope it isn't), it'll probably be the highest-grossing movie of the year.
It'll be awesome and successful, yes, but highest grossing movie of the year is probably not going to happen.

TomH1138 said:
I'm surprised that you felt that TFA was too heavy on the CGI. Abrams was very outspoken about using practical effects in this movie, and it shows onscreen. Sure, there's still some CGI, as there will be in any modern blockbuster. But there's a lot less than in the prequels or even in, say, Crystal Skull, which promised practical stunts and then gave us a bunch of digital monkeys and gophers.

For that matter, I noticed a lot of CGI in Looper, not that this is a bad thing in itself. But I don't think Johnson's Star Wars is going to be particularly more or less digital than Abrams'.
There is a LOT of CGI in TFA, definitely more so than in KOTCS. Thing is it's very good CGI. I'm also confident that Johnson will use more practicals. He mentioned in an interview with Christopher Nolan that he's going use a lot of the same techniques that were used on Interstellar (which included full sized and scaled models for the spaceships, and rear projection, amongst other things).

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
It'll be awesome and successful, yes, but highest grossing movie of the year is probably not going to happen.

Fair enough. What do you see as being the top film? Infinity War 1 will be big, but I think Infinity War 2 will be much bigger. Young Han Solo will be a hit, but I don't think it'll be as big as the Episodes. Maybe Toy Story 4?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_film

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Fair enough. What do you see as being the top film? Infinity War 1 will be big, but I think Infinity War 2 will be much bigger. Young Han Solo will be a hit, but I don't think it'll be as big as the Episodes. Maybe Toy Story 4?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_film

I think "Untitled Fox/​DreamWorks Animation/​Blue Sky Animation film" is going to blow everybody out of the water.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We're not even talking about the same year as Episode VIII...

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
I'm surprised that you felt that TFA was too heavy on the CGI.

What? No. I didn't say that. The practical effects in TFA were one of the best things about it.

TomH1138 said:

Yeah, he used CGI for some backgrounds etc. But for instance Joseph Gordon-Levitt was covered in prostheses & makeup to make him look more like Bruce Willis instead of CGI. Brick had a couple of effects that were just clever practical shots filmed backward. Rian Johnson started using practical effects just because he didn't have any budget but when you listen to his commentaries you can hear how proud he is of doing the most he can with practical effects even though he has bigger budgets now.

I think J.J. was so into practical effects for TFA just because it was Star Wars. I didn't really see the same dedication for practical effects in the Star Trek movies.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
What? No. I didn't say that. The practical effects in TFA were one of the best things about it.

Ah, OK. Sorry I misunderstood you!

Brumous said:
But for instance Joseph Gordon-Levitt was covered in prostheses & makeup to make him look more like Bruce Willis instead of CGI.

Ohhhhh. See, I thought that was one of the worst examples of CGI in Looper! I didn't realize that was practical.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
There's nothing wrong with thinking that you wouldn't like a Ready Player One movie if you didn't like the book. But I don't think it's accurate at all to say that the film won't be anything other than moderately successful.

The book is a bestseller, in part because it's loaded with tons of nostalgic references that are really en vogue right now. It is to '80s movies and video games what Who Framed Roger Rabbit was to classic animation. IIRC, there's one scene where the protagonist (in his virtual-reality world) walks past an X-Wing and a deLorean before settling on going to school in his Batmobile. I think audiences will go nuts for that.

In fact, there are so many copyright / legal issues to jump through that I thought a film version would be impossible until Spielberg's name became attached to the project. Spielberg was the only one who could bring together all the competing properties for Roger Rabbit; I believe his name will get things done here as well.

Again, if you personally have no desire to see the film, that's fine. What njvc and I find puzzling is the suggestion that no one else will find anything of interest in a huge nostalgia-fest directed by the most popular and acclaimed director of the past 40 years. Even if it's bad (which I hope it isn't), it'll probably be the highest-grossing movie of the year.

Having said all that, it was still wise of Warner Bros. to move the release date so that it was no longer competing with the return of Luke Skywalker.

I won't argue any points you bring up, but you didn't really address those that I had. My expectation that the film will be mediocre is because how the plot moves from one point to the next in the book, not all the cool nostalgia imagery along the way.

Think about this for a moment, has a movie EVER gotten the FEEL right when it comes to a character overcoming an obstacle on a screen? Whether the character is beating a video game or trying to hack a program before the bomb goes off, in a movie, it never feels real. The only time it ever has, is when we're watching a documentary like King of Kong - ie, when it is real. So, my guess is that since the last half of this book relies on the character accomplishing amazing video game feat after another in order to propel the plot, the general consensus will be that the world-building of the movie is good, but the story isn't.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
I won't argue any points you bring up, but you didn't really address those that I had.

Well, that's because I have no problem with your not liking the book. I just thought it was odd that you were certain that no one else would like it.

The finale features nearly every '80s icon imaginable in an all-out battle against each other. I think that's gonna put a ton of butts in seats, and if the movie is good, it'll be even bigger.

beezo said:
Think about this for a moment, has a movie EVER gotten the FEEL right when it comes to a character overcoming an obstacle on a screen?

I'm a huge fan of both Tron and War Games, which both could be considered variations on that idea. But YMMV. I do think I see your overall point better now, though.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We thought Luke would be the new Obi Wan but he's the new Yoda:

Mark%2Band%2BDaisy%2Btraining.jpg

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ hahahaha. I want to see her do some flips with Mark on her back  :p

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
We thought Luke would be the new Obi Wan but he's the new Yoda

Luke 'I see dead people' Skywalker looks quite properly off his rocker. What if his fail with Kylo Ren made him go insane?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII title has been officially revealed as being “STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI”.  Gee, I’m pumped.  I so, so hope for this to be the before last entry in the saga.  Three trilogies.  Three generations.  I hope they end it there.  

Back to the title.  It simply is wonderful.  What do you guys think?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to Movies.  News Items are fanedit related.

JEDIT: Threads merged.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Time to rename this thread Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

At first blush, I don't much like it. We just had "Jedi" in the title two episodes ago, and that "Return" now sounds like an even bigger failure than it did at the end of TFA. I mildly liked Rogue One, but still can't say I'm much excited about the post-ROTJ neck of the franchise.

An observation from another board:

I. Three words, nebulous concept ('The Phantom Menace', 'A New Hope', 'The Force Awakens')
II. Four words, verb ('Attack of the Clones', 'The Empire Strikes Back', ... ah. Hmm)

III. Something-of-the-someone ('Revenge of the Sith', 'Return of the Jedi')

It strikes a bit of a bum note.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The very last thing I would ever be concerned about with any movie is the title.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would like to see the lightwhip.
Lumiya used it, but featuring her would screw up the chronology.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know who or what that is but I can guess on the what and no thank you.

Top Bottom