• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crossover idea: George Lucas wakes up in an Avatar and flies back to earth to get revenge on JJ.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh god, I forgot about Avatar. I was hoping it was going to quietly fade away.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My guess is Avatar won't be ready on time. The other question is where does Ready Player One go, as it's currently set for the exact same date as VIII. My guess is they probably move that up a bit. I just hope Williams is in fine shape to score both of them.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
The other question is where does Ready Player One go, as it's currently set for the exact same date as VIII.

There's just no way Ready Player One is going to be anything but marginally successful, at best.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
marginally successful, at least.

^ FTFY :p.

DominicCobb said:
where does Rogue One go, as it's currently set for the exact same date as VIII.

Rogue One is Dec 2016. EpVIII is Dec 2017. This sh*t is getting confusing.

DominicCobb said:
I just hope Williams is in fine shape to score both of them.

Alexandre Desplat is scoring Rogue One apparently (Can't say any of his scores have blown me away in the past?). But I'm glad it's not JW. For one thing, it lets him concentrate all his creative energy on the main episodes and for another, it'll be nice to hear somebody else's take. I just hope Desplat isn't saddled with shoe-horning in JW's old themes. That never works in my experience.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
desplattify. kind of like neglify. :)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
He did some Harry Potter. That's similar in that he did have to take an existing franchise that started with John Williams music and do his own thing with it. High hopes.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Desplat's HP scores. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in Giacchino for one of the Anthology movies too. He's the king of reboot and remix of old themes. I love his ST theme he came up with.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ FTFY :p.

Rogue One is Dec 2016. EpVIII is Dec 2017. This sh*t is getting confusing.

Alexandre Desplat is scoring Rogue One apparently (Can't say any of his scores have blown me away in the past?). But I'm glad it's not JW. For one thing, it lets him concentrate all his creative energy on the main episodes and for another, it'll be nice to hear somebody else's take. I just hope Desplat isn't saddled with shoe-horning in JW's old themes. That never works in my experience.
UMMMMM I wrote Ready Player One (Spielberg's upcoming sic-fi adaptation)? Not sure why that reads Rogue One?

Williams is default composer for every Star Wars and Spielberg film (with good reason). My only fear is there's a Bridge of Spies situation where he has a medical operation or something that keeps him from scoring both films.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Well there it is.

Avatar's going to have a tough time getting into any December with Star Wars now staking their claim. Summer's always too crowded though. The whole concept of the film seasons and the summer and holiday months being the only places to release a hit is pretty silly. March has proven to have potential for blockbusters (and will prove again with BvS this year). Why not put Avatar there?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
UMMMMM I wrote Ready Player One (Spielberg's upcoming sic-fi adaptation)?

Ohhhhh, that's a thing? I thought it was a joke I didn't understand and you were refering to RogueOne (It's a SW thread afterall). My bad. :oops: :D

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
There's just no way Ready Player One is going to be anything but marginally successful, at best.

Based on what? RP1 has the potential to incredible if they do the source material justice. Here's hoping it's The Beard's return to awe-inspiring form. For anyone who has not read the book yet, I could not recommend it highly enough.

And to bring this back on topic, very good to hear there is likely a stronger focus on Rey, Finn and Poe in the rewrites. I miss them already.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
Based on what? RP1 has the potential to incredible if they do the source material justice. Here's hoping it's The Beard's return to awe-inspiring form. For anyone who has not read the book yet, I could not recommend it highly enough.

And to bring this back on topic, very good to hear there is likely a stronger focus on Rey, Finn and Poe in the rewrites. I miss them already.

Ready Player One spoilers below
RP1 has a great beginning, makes a few mistakes in the second act, and then continues to repeat those mistakes ad nauseum in the third. The solving of all of the puzzles requires our hero to make one fantastic performance of an old school video game after another...and another. Showing people doing well in video games is not cinematically interesting - unless you're watching a documentary or a live stream of real gamers in real performances with real pressures bearing down on them. The only way RP1 could possible work, is if the actor actually performs these amazing feats of gaming. The media could make a stink about it and it would make for compelling extra features as well as draw the audience into the real drama actually underway in the movie. But as you and I know, this isn't going to happen. For nearly half the book we're just going to be seeing this guy coming up to an old video game, a string of cuts showing him playing it perfectly, and then he has the next clue to get him to the next video game. Following the book, there's just no way this is going make for compelling cinema. This is why I can't see it being a huge success.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
a stronger focus on Rey, Finn and Poe in the rewrites. I miss them already.

tumblr_m9j7j95oq01qzeg2so2_250.gif

...and BB-8 too. I hope Poe, Finn and BB-8 are going to team up and go adventuring while Rey, R2 and Chewie are off galavanting with Luke.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
tumblr_m9j7j95oq01qzeg2so2_250.gif

...and BB-8 too. I hope Poe, Finn and BB-8 are going to team up and go adventuring while Rey, R2 and Chewie are off galavanting with Luke.

No love for poor Kylo Ren?
kylo-ren-star-wars-undercover-boss-snl-530x300.png

No wonder he's dark side all over.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Laura Dern is added to the cast.
No mention of Harrison Ford. I would say "of course", but there was a lot of suspicion he would return maybe for a flashback. So now, unless they hide something, no flashback with Ford.

And:

szopman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's no Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) in cast ;/ Won't he reprise his iconic role in VIII ? :O
I've heard about Jimmy Vee as new R2-D2 but I haven't read any rumors about Mayhew's absence.
So probably Chewbacca will be now played by this young actor who has already played Chewie in most of TFA scenes.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
Ready Player One spoilers below

There's nothing wrong with thinking that you wouldn't like a Ready Player One movie if you didn't like the book. But I don't think it's accurate at all to say that the film won't be anything other than moderately successful.

The book is a bestseller, in part because it's loaded with tons of nostalgic references that are really en vogue right now. It is to '80s movies and video games what Who Framed Roger Rabbit was to classic animation. IIRC, there's one scene where the protagonist (in his virtual-reality world) walks past an X-Wing and a deLorean before settling on going to school in his Batmobile. I think audiences will go nuts for that.

In fact, there are so many copyright / legal issues to jump through that I thought a film version would be impossible until Spielberg's name became attached to the project. Spielberg was the only one who could bring together all the competing properties for Roger Rabbit; I believe his name will get things done here as well.

Again, if you personally have no desire to see the film, that's fine. What njvc and I find puzzling is the suggestion that no one else will find anything of interest in a huge nostalgia-fest directed by the most popular and acclaimed director of the past 40 years. Even if it's bad (which I hope it isn't), it'll probably be the highest-grossing movie of the year.

Having said all that, it was still wise of Warner Bros. to move the release date so that it was no longer competing with the return of Luke Skywalker.

Top Bottom