• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars - The Phantom Menace: Possessed

Should I add the "Tie Fighter Vs Millenium Falcon" theme from A New Hope to the Podrace?

• Total voters

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright folks. So I've been working on an edit of The Phantom Menace off and on for two years or so, and I've decided to finally baton down the hatches and finish it. Just another entry in my Possessed Star Wars series. Nothing radical or super different from existing 'conservative' edits out there like HAL9000, Octoroxx, Q2, l8wrtr and such so I wouldn't blame anybody for not rushing to see it as soon as it comes out, just my own take on it.

I do feel like I have my own unique editing and pacing style that has it's own place, and sometimes occasionally have clever solutions to edit out problems. So if you enjoyed my other edits, particularly my Return of the Jedi and Star Trek: Generations edits, this might be a version you'd enjoy.

Very brief cut list of the most noticeable changes:

*Entire removal of jar-jar's "life debt", the underwater sequences and gungan city. They are visually amazing looking but they just add unnecessary bloat and convolution to the plot. It's already been established they are headed to the Capitol, so they just go. We meet the rest of the gungans in the last act and jar jar was never banished because that served no purpose either.

*A few shots have been cropped here and there in battle sequences to remove jar jar goofing off on the edge of the frame.

*As with all tpm edits jar jar is toned down but he isn't made silent, otherwise it would be awkward having him tag along. I've just made it like he was alone and scared and stuck by the Jedi as his friends and they allow it, but he's far less obnoxious.

*Anakins friends are never shown. They all suck except for kitzer or whatever his name is, but he's cut too just because all the scenes he's in are gone for pacing and plot streamlining purposes.

*Obviously no midichlorians if that even needs said.

*Scene of anakin and Co working on the podracer is cut. He says he's built one earlier, and there's still the few brief shots of him tinkering with it when qui-gon is talking to shmi outside. There's no longer a question of whether or not it's going to work, as there's already enough going on with the story and the rest is more important. It is made clear that the only reason his pod malfunctions is because of sebulba's sabotage.

*3po isn't entirely cut but his appearances are very brief and it's also never said that anakin built him, just that he's working on repairing and fixing him up.

*Just an overall general effort to streamline and keep the plot focused without moving too fast.

* The rest is just my own takes of streamlining bloated pacing and making it brisker, removing as many awkward moments and lines as possible smoothly, and trimming the worst of Jar-Jar as possible without making it weird that he's even with them. I'm mainly making it for myself to help complete my "Possessed" saga so I can have a matching set sitting on my shelf, but I'll of course share it for others who like matching sets or have enjoyed the editing style of my other stuff. Lots of influence from Hal, octoroxx, and Q2's edits for how I went about some of the cuts but it's still my own.

Artwork and Blu-ray sleeve: https://forums.fanedit.org/media/albums/star-wars-phantom-menace-possessed.298/

Last edited:
Okay I've decided against adding music to the podrace. And tentative cut list added to first post.

The edit is complete. I understand the lack of excitement, after all it is just yet another Phantom Menace edit, I get it. But like I said if you like my other edits, especially Return of the Jedi and Star Trek: Generations you might find something you like here. I'll publish it on the database as soon as I finish authoring the blu ray disc to match the rest of my series. I still may post a preview video with some of the more clever cuts but I might not as I'm not sure if it's really necessary, bUT it might have merit. We'll see what kind of mood I'm in tomorrow.

Moderation was the name of the game for this edit. Probably a hundred trims to help pacing and tone, but careful not to be too fast or seem like a long trailer. Jar jar is very reduced bUT he is still a featured character. (Although his being originally banished is removed and the life debt thing largely glossed over because neither really end up mattering). The battle droid's speak a few times bUT not nearly as much as they did. Moderation. Balance. Nothing extremely radical but also the pace is much quicker and the tone more classic star wars.

Last edited:
If you've been doing tons of micro trims in favour of pacing, then that sounds right up my street. I love that kind of approach to editing and it's rarely excersised. I don't know when I'll check yours out, but I def will at some stage. I have Spence's recent version to take for a spin as well.

And I know I still owe you a viewing of your rotj edit as well. Sorry about that!

All good! I'm sure you'll get to it when you have time. And yes it's mostly minor trims for pacing, the only really big change is removing the Gungan city/underwater sequence because the pacing of the story just flows so much smoother without it. But that has little consequence to the story.

It does visually look cool though, so if you get the Blu-ray version I did include a slightly trimmed up version of it as a bonus feature deleted scene šŸ˜‰

Did you remove the autopilot stuff with Anakin?

Back
Top Bottom