• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars -The Phantom Menace - Expanded Edition

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
4omqAFw.png

Another addition to my own Expanded Series of films, as I tackle the first of the Prequel films.

• Added the Gungan bongo about to go over a waterfall as the Jedi and Jar Jar escape
  • Added Anakin, Padme and the droids looking over the Pod the morning of the race
  • Extended version of the pre-podrace grid sequence, an extra line from Watto sourced from the Theatrical Cut is also added
  • Extended Podrace Lap 2 (this needs a bit of work combining the Blu-Ray/DVD Extended versions)
  • Added Anakin having scuffle with a Rodian that is refered to as “Greedo” (although I’d like to avoid that personally with new subtitles)
  • Added Anakin visiting Jira before leaving Tatooine, as Maul’s probe droid watches them, explaining them running in the final film
  • Added alternate shot of Palpatine’s office from the Theatrical Cut
  • Added a few extra shots of the Maul fight in the Theed Generator
There’s still a few additional shots of the Naboo fighters I haven’t had the chance to look at how they’d fit in, including the spinning fighter. If there is anything else I have forgotten, please do let me know.

Scenes to be included in a workprint

• Added 2 droids seeing the Jedi arriving on the Trade Federation ship, commenting on their importance
  • Extended version of the Podrace wager between Watto and Qui-Gon
  • Extended duel with Maul and Qui-Gon on Tatooine
  • Added alternate version of Padme and Panaka telling the Nemodians they’ll have to explain this to the Senate (now in the Throne Room during the climax)
  • Added Ric Ollie in the hanger questing the pilot who blew up the Trade-Fed ship, as Anakin lands
The only thing I don’t think I’d include in a workprint is the Bail Antillies/Organa scene since it confuses things a little with Jimmy Smits.

Current runtime is 2:22:36 compared to the Blu-Ray’s 2:16:11. I still need to look over the Extended DVD Lap 2 compared to the Blu-Ray and work on combining them in someway as it’s a big mess of what goes where. So the runtime will probably be longer by a minute or 2.

CLIPS

Here’s the extra Duel shots, taken from the Deleted Scenes documentary on the DVD and upscaled to HD. The score used is not final as I can’t quite get the right section of the track to line up, as well as the Lightsaber SFX not being there.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting! Many fanedits of this movie trim it down. Rather ... severely.
I'll be curious to see if diluting the weak parts by extending the movie creates a satisfying whole. 🤔

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting! Many fanedits of this movie trim it down. Rather ... severely.
I'll be curious to see if diluting the weak parts by extending the movie creates a satisfying whole. 🤔

I don't think that the film will genuinally be better, but hopefully more complete? I know most editors end up using the "Dawn Before the Race" and the Probe Droid scene, since they're pretty crutial (especially the 2nd one).
Whaaat? @Bobson Dugnutt , I just noticed your updated avatar. What did you do to poor ET? :LOL:
I haven't had ET for ages, I replaced him with Yoda a while back, and now it's Mac from "Mac and Me" for some reason. I've made slightly different variants for every site I'm on (FE, OT, TSWT, and Fanres).

VCY1Mvq.png

Anyway, back to TPM.

This is the extended Coruscant establishing scene with an extended shot from the DVD Deleted Scenes, and a new shot of Palpatine's office from the Theatrical Shot, borrowed from a recent 35mm scan. The next shot of Anakin and Jar Jar is also from that scan.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've also tried to fit the cut Bail Organa/Antillies senator from the Senate scene. It's supposed to be the same character as Jimmy Smits originally, but was retconned as a different character. So I've tried to put it back here and it somehow works. The colour work is a pain in my rear though.

GwiIByK.png

pW7R3Vw.png

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's next, an "Expanded Edition" of Attack of the Clones?

Ideally it'd most likely be the original Star Wars, since I put together all the outtakes, altermate takes, deleted scenes into one long project entitled STAR WARS: LEFTOVERS. I posted about it over at OT, as somewhat of a precurser to my own Expanded project, which will likely be seperate to a "Lost Cut" project.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here’s a few new seconds of footage during the battle over Naboo. A vulture droid shoots down an N-1 fighter. The spinning fighter was included in many trailers, sometimes with or without flames.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've now gone in and redone all of the sound for the extended duel clip, which was a pain but it turned out great

Overall, I just need to go back and fix up the audio integrating the deleted scenes and the edit should be nearing completion

heathen3017

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent work. I'm excited about Phantom Menace for the first time in quite some time.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The edit will be released Monday, but for now, here's one of the bonus features, some excerpts from the commentary track, with George Lucas, Ben Burtt and Rob Coleman talking about deleted scenes, with some added relevent visuals.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here’s a few new seconds of footage during the battle over Naboo. A vulture droid shoots down an N-1 fighter. The spinning fighter was included in many trailers, sometimes with or without flames.

The change in quality is quite noticeable, but the sequence of shots flows very well.

Top Bottom